Senior EVE Online Community Member Killed in Libya Riot

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Senior EVE Online Community Member Killed in Libya Riot

Sean Smith, aka Vile Rat of EVE Online's GoonSwarm, was the senior State Department official reported dead.

EVE Online has lost one of its most senior members, and the Mittani - leading member of GoonSwarm - has lost a friend, in the Libyan Consulate attacks. Sean Smith, also known as Vile Rat of GoonSwarm, was initially reported dead - known then only as a senior State Department official - earlier this morning. Since that initial report several others, including Ambassador Chris Stevens, have also been confirmed as casualties in the attacks.

The Mittani, in a blog post [http://themittani.com/news/rip-vile-rat], recounted how similar events had unfolded in the past. "The last time he did something like this," said the Mittani, "he was in Baghdad in 2007 or 2008. He would be on jabber, then say something like 'incoming' and vanish for a while ... He got out from his Baghdad post physically unscathed and had some more relaxing postings after that." According to the Mittani, much the same happened this time; one final jabber from Smith, and then nothing.

"If you play this stupid game," the Mittani went on to say, "you may not realize it, but you play in a galaxy created in large part by Vile Rat's talent as a diplomat." Smith had been a player of sci-fi MMO EVE Online from its very earliest days, and had been instrumental in many of the greatest events in EVE Online's history. "His influence over the grand game and the affairs of Nullsec cannot be overstated," said the Mittani. "If you were an alliance leader of any consequence, you spoke to Vile Rat. You knew him."

The riots occurred in response to a low-budget movie, Innocence of Muslims, about the life of the Prophet Mohammed. It was directed and produced by Californian Sam Bacile, who has described Islam as "a cancer, period." The movie has only ever been shown once, in a mostly empty Hollywood theater, but its trailer found its way to YouTube and from there to the Arabic speaking world.

Source: Guardian [http://themittani.com/news/rip-vile-rat]

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
it seems this guy was a genuine good guy. A shame, there are far too many trolls in the world

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Well, that just puts kind of a surreal twist on this already horrible tragedy.

Hopefully someday the world won't be filled with people who think you can kill others for offending your sensibilities.

My thoughts and prayers to all involved.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
disgruntledgamer said:
"Californian Sam Bacile, who has described Islam as "a cancer, period."

Truth hurts I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnEeTBuPQuo

by Thunderf00t
You know that period that history calls the 'dark ages'? Well, the they did not have that in Islam. In fact, while the Europeans were still burning witches for having a mole on their back, Muslims were innovating in mathematics, astronomy, and medicine.

Now, some might say this proves that Muslims are the superior religion, but that is also ignorant. Th Renaissance and the enlightenment revolutionized, art science, and culture.

Really what I am trying to get at is it is stupid and ignorant to point at one group of people and say "there. They are the problem."

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
This has actually hit me. Not many news stories can actually make me stop and think.

My best wishes go out to friends and family.

Phoenix8541

No Regrets
Sep 10, 2012
Thoughts a prayers to the family's of those involved.... This is particularly painful for me as a service member still in Afghanistan, I would give more of my opinion on this incident, yet being in the military I am bared from stating my feelings on issues such as this.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Why does it seem like Islam is the easiest religion to troll? One person on the far side of the globe can say something derogatory about Islam, the prophet, or the Koran and that will cause deadly riots. Remember the Florida pastor who threaten to burn a copy of the koran and there were riots and I'm betting someone died.

Just imagine if the prophet was a character in Smite?? Holy hell, the whole middle east would explode.

Whenever a group of people is that sensitive to a topic to the point of violence, someone will try to rile them up. That's just how a troll rolls.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
It's worth noting that the attack on the embassy wasn't just some riot. It was some militia or another coordinating it. Your average person doesn't have RPGs, and the attackers had at least a few. There were also Libyans killed in the attacks, Libyans who helped rescue the other embassy workers, and Libyans who were fighting against the assailants. This seems more like using religion as a cover for an action than being legitimately upset on religious grounds.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Sean951 said:
It's worth noting that the attack on the embassy wasn't just some riot. It was some militia or another coordinating it. Your average person doesn't have RPGs, and the attackers had at least a few. There were also Libyans killed in the attacks, Libyans who helped rescue the other embassy workers, and Libyans who were fighting against the assailants. This seems more like using religion as a cover for an action than being legitimately upset on religious grounds.
RPG-7's cost somewhere in the realm of 100-300USD to obtain, depending on where you are and who you're buying from. The point of them is that they're easily attainable and affordable.

Edit: That's why they're the revolutionary's weapon of choice.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
This is just the sort of thing that happens when small minds get introduced to the big bad world too quickly for them to process it without flipping their shit.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
I was on Mumble with him at the time. His last words were, "Shit, gunfire". It was pretty fucking horrific.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Devoneaux said:
disgruntledgamer said:
Uh-huh.

You know I was going to argue that it has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with political instability of the region that stifles progress, but the sheer ignorance of that video kinda scrambled my bwekgjsnjgbgakjgag
SacremPyrobolum said:
disgruntledgamer said:
You know that period that history calls the 'dark ages'? Well, the they did not have that in Islam. In fact, while the Europeans were still burning witches for having a mole on their back, Muslims were innovating in mathematics, astronomy, and medicine.

Now, some might say this proves that Muslims are the superior religion, but that is also ignorant. Th Renaissance and the enlightenment revolutionized, art science, and culture.

Really what I am trying to get at is it is stupid and ignorant to point at one group of people and say "there. They are the problem."
Guys, you know the drill. Report and move on. There's no point in anything else.

Back on topic, this is very sad. My condolences to those who knew him. He sounds like a pretty cool guy where his career actually turned out to be as volatile and interesting as the games he clearly loved to play and to contribute to.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
disgruntledgamer said:

Truth hurts I guess.

by Thunderf00t
You know, I didnt even need to watch that video to know it was going to be a bunch of bullshit.

You know how? I read the description.

Do you know where the first Hospital on earth was constructed? Baghdad.

One of the oldest libraries on earth?

Baghdad.

The oldest constantly inhabited city on earth?

Aleppo.

For hundreds, if not thousands, of years the Arab world, and by default the Islamic world, was more advanced then the West could ever be. Places like London, like Paris, were considered villages when compared to cities like Aleppo or Damascus. The Arab world was the center of learning. Algebra, Astronomy, Lenses, Medicine, you name it, that is where it originated.

So take your quasi racism and do something horrible to yourself.

Islam is not a "Threat" to Science. The largest threat to Science so far in human history was the Catholic fucking Church. If it was not for the pope branding people as Heretic science would have been able to move at a much faster pace.

So I say again. Take your racism and shove it.

EDIT: You know what? I am sorry.

I wanted to say something about this poor man who has ended up being killed. I wanted to say something small, considering I never played Eve (Well, I did for a month) and I had no connection to him in any way, just a small note about how sad I was that a man was killed as a result of a riot in a far off land.

But I got so riled up I could not.

So to you, now dead dude, I hope you rest easy. Takes real balls to work in the diplomatic service, I almost ceased to exist as a result of my mother doing the same. Getting posted to hell holes takes balls and you had both the balls to do what you needed to do for your country and the presence of mind to be a nerd, beloved by many, whilst you were at it.

Rest easy.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Christ. Really makes you remember that the people who get killed in these kinds of things are people, people with names, and not just numbers. When you live in an age where the media desensitizes you, that's an easy thing to forget.
disgruntledgamer said:

Truth hurts I guess.

by Thunderf00t
Oh come on man.

Jobbie

Aug 14, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Space just got a little more empty, sounds like this guy was really pushing his luck.

The only cancer here was hatred.
I would argue ignorance.

The world of eve online lost a great player today. I have played eve online for 6 years and for 5 of those 6 years, I have been at odds with Vile Rat's alliance. It's been a very bitter relationship. For those who play eve, you know what I am talking about. May Vile Rat be remembered as one of the very best eve players. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP Vile Rat. You have today logged off for the last time.

Failsafe