Ubisoft Officially Announces Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Ubisoft Officially Announces Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

More information about the next Assassin's Creed is coming on Monday, March 4.

The rumored Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122384-Rumor-Next-Assassins-Creed-Title-is-All-About-Pirates] is real: Ubisoft has confirmed the next installment in the series, though no further information will be revealed until Monday, March 4 at 9:00 am PT.

In addition to the title, Ubisoft released a bit of artwork, which teases the assassin, a new logo, and a ship.

We've gotten a look at the game, and we'll have more information, as well as first impressions, ready to go on Monday. Until then, feel free to speculate about Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag in the comments.

Dec 14, 2009
I think this is the last chance Ubisoft have of getting me to stick with this series.

I couldn't even get a third of the way through AC3, it was just boring in every way.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
The naval stuff was boring as fuck in AC3, so if they're making a game around and in all likelihood keeping Connor...
yeah never getting this game.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
My brother will probably get this for the WiiU. I'm not really a fan of the series, but let's see if Pirates will spark interest in the game.

Also, before anyone can Ninja me:

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Soooo it's IS going to be Pirate's Creed, eh?

I can't help but feel that this will NOT be a return the high-tower climbing of AC 1-Brotherhood. I just wonder if this is going to actually be about the Assassins again and not about a stubborn man-child who simply uses the assassin tools and training for his own purposes. Seriously, you didn't play as an assassin in III, you played as a native American in a white hood. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's clear that Connor put his own goals and priorities for his people ahead of the needs and goals of the Assassins. Wonder if this'll be the same, just you're a pirate now...

Anyways, ACIII might have been my last AC game. We'll see.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Wait didn't we already have an AC game like less than a year ago?
Why is this info coming out so soon shouldn't they wait a little bit more?

Wil213

A Hack
Apr 1, 2010
I was hopeing that the next one would use the ships from AC3 because that was the bast part. And that says something about where the series has gone if the stand out bit was optional quest, nothing to do with assassinating people.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
Noone liked the sailing in Ass-Creed 3?

LET'S MAKE A GAME ABOUT IT! THEY'LL LOVE IT THIS TIME! It's not like they want to, you know, assassinate people in our assassin game.

No. Cannons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-e89qZRtKM

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
The naval stuff was boring as fuck in AC3, so if they're making a game around and in all likelihood keeping Connor...
yeah never getting this game.
Obviously you like what you like, but I think the naval parts were quite widely enjoyed, so that's why they decided upon including it more. I heard praise about the naval sections from pretty much everywhere.

Personally while I thought they were surprisingly good, I can't see how they can make an Assassin's Creed focused on that kind of thing. I am getting kind of tired about how the game is steering further and further away from actual assassins.

So I probably won't be getting it either.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
I did enjoy the naval parts in Assassin's Creed III but I'm not sure I want a whole game based around it O_O

Fudj

May 1, 2008
I personally really enjoyed the naval warfare sections of AC3, it will be interesting to see if they continue with Connor or are already dumping him for someone else.

The picture doesn't look like Connor so maybe something in a nearby timeline or related to Connor in some other way. Always been a fan of the AC games so I always look forward to more installments.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
rhizhim said:
you know what would be fun?
if you would play as a man sitting on the animus experiencing the victorian era as a female assassin.
it would be hillariously awkward.
Oh come on! I have to deal with that kind of shit in real life, and I play video games to escape that bullshit! In all seriousness though, yeah, that's pretty much forced gender dysphoria. If written well, that would actually be an interesting and informative look into one of the key factors of transsexualism. Not a bad idea, just one that's difficult to execute correctly.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Fudj said:
I personally really enjoyed the naval warfare sections of AC3, it will be interesting to see if they continue with Connor or are already dumping him for someone else.

The picture doesn't look like Connor so maybe something in a nearby timeline or related to Connor in some other way. Always been a fan of the AC games so I always look forward to more installments.
my thoughts too. im a fan of the series as well and this looks like an interesting installment. i do expect some lag of story or characters but as long its fun to play, i might get it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Seeing as the naval sections were the only good thing in AC3, I think I'd be okay with a game build around that mechanic. As long as they focus the gameplay and don't drown it with meaningless stuff.

However, this game better be really fucking good, because my willingness to stay with this series is hanging by a thread.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
Given the way this series is going. is there any point in keeping the title "Assassin"? I mean, you hardly assassinated anyone in AC3.

AC - You are an Assassin. It is your job, your creed, your whole way of life.
AC2 - You are born in to a family of Assassins and use your training to seek vengeance, and make things a bit better for everyone.
AC3 - You are a stubborn man-child that joined up just so he could try to stop the world from progressing. Haytham was a way more interesting character than Connor.

Does make me wonder what this one will be. Pirate met an Assassin once? Brushed past him/her and took their coat?

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
rhizhim said:
an annoyed writer said:
rhizhim said:
you know what would be fun?
if you would play as a man sitting on the animus experiencing the victorian era as a female assassin.
it would be hillariously awkward.
Oh come on! I have to deal with that kind of shit in real life, and I play video games to escape that bullshit! In all seriousness though, yeah, that's pretty much forced gender dysphoria. If written well, that would actually be an interesting and informative look into one of the key factors of transsexualism. Not a bad idea, just one that's difficult to execute correctly.
i just thought that traveling around your dna's past doesnt have to necessarily make you experience the past as the gender you currently have as an avatar
Would that work? I know there hasn't been an official word on the subject and its all sci fi but wouldn't the gender difference affect synchronisation? I imagine that it would be harder to sync your mind with someone else's body if they were a different gender because of the obvious different in body shape and because of differences in body chemistry.