Ubisoft Officially Announces Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I liked the sailing in AC III. I thought it was the best part of the game. Apparently I am in the vast minority. I had no idea people hated it that much.

I'm wondering what exactly we're supposed to be climbing on in this new game. A ship is rather small, even if it's a huge one. Obviously we'll end up visiting ports, but port towns aren't exactly teeming with tall buildings.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Naval Battles in AC3 were meh. Aside from the main story missions I really didn't have a desire to revisit them.
Still wishing they'd visit somewhere in Asia. I still have some hope considering
Desmond sacrificed himself to save the Earth
There's some hope they'll tie the gap. As of now I think I'll hold off on preordering this.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009

you know you'd play that

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
The naval stuff was boring as fuck in AC3, so if they're making a game around and in all likelihood keeping Connor...
yeah never getting this game.
It's not going to be Connor. It's Connor's granddaddy.

OT: I'm super excited.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Well since the Naval things were better than all the free running and fighting in 3, so a larger emphasis on that is awesome in my opinion.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Fudj said:
I personally really enjoyed the naval warfare sections of AC3, it will be interesting to see if they continue with Connor or are already dumping him for someone else.

The picture doesn't look like Connor so maybe something in a nearby timeline or related to Connor in some other way. Always been a fan of the AC games so I always look forward to more installments.
I thought the idea was that the introduced a new protagonist with every numbered game in the series?

Personally I think this is a bad idea, they should have taken it to a dense city again, like Victorian London (which you know, no one ever suggested).

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Meh, I like how Ubisoft is focusing on one of the few things that they did right in AC3, but I'm slightly annoyed that they're shoehorning it into the assassin's creed series rather then making a new IP and building up the setting specifically for an open world pirate game.

Also, I can't wait for inevitable irony when Ubisoft complains about people pirating AC4.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
But.. does this mean that we will also get a black flag title song?

Sure do hope they stop fucking up the controls and go back to the old way, for pc at least

Fudj

May 1, 2008
TheRightToArmBears said:
Fudj said:
I personally really enjoyed the naval warfare sections of AC3, it will be interesting to see if they continue with Connor or are already dumping him for someone else.

The picture doesn't look like Connor so maybe something in a nearby timeline or related to Connor in some other way. Always been a fan of the AC games so I always look forward to more installments.
I thought the idea was that the introduced a new protagonist with every numbered game in the series?

Personally I think this is a bad idea, they should have taken it to a dense city again, like Victorian London (which you know, no one ever suggested).

Maybe they don't have any faith in Connor as a protagonist, maybe this will be part of a bigger overarching storyline, theres no reason to think they wont have dense cities in it, they also have alot more scope since with a ship you pretty much open up many different city-ports around the world. AC 3 was definately not my favorite game of the franchise but i do look forward to a new installment.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Soooo it's IS going to be Pirate's Creed, eh?

I can't help but feel that this will NOT be a return the high-tower climbing of AC 1-Brotherhood. I just wonder if this is going to actually be about the Assassins again and not about a stubborn man-child who simply uses the assassin tools and training for his own purposes. Seriously, you didn't play as an assassin in III, you played as a native American in a white hood. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's clear that Connor put his own goals and priorities for his people ahead of the needs and goals of the Assassins. Wonder if this'll be the same, just you're a pirate now...

Anyways, ACIII might have been my last AC game. We'll see.
You didn't play an assassin in ezio's games either, not until Revelations, which everyone hates for some reason. And even then, it wasn't wasn't an ideological thing, just politics.

I honestly don't care about a new screed game. 3 was awful. Unless they really wow me, I'm never getting another one. I'll just stick with Far Cry 3 and Dishonored for my people-hunting.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
The naval missions were awesome in AC3, and I'm really excited about a more fleshed out and realized naval exploration world instead of scripted and linear battles. I really hope this is good!

I'm not sure why everyone hated AC3, I thought it was quite good. I mean it had its flaws and a lot of unnecessary gameplay padding, but overall it was a lot of fun and I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it, and I'm really interested in continuing the story about the Tyranny of King Washington.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
I thought it was going to be about assassinating assholes in the 1980s hardcore punk scene.

<------------ Henry is not pleased.

gentlemanghost said:
Assassin's Creed IV.....Black Flag?

Soooo, is he going to be killing roaches or telling Nazi punks to f--k off?
See I like what you were going for there. Got the band wrong, but no one's perfect.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
knight steel said:
Wait didn't we already have an AC game like less than a year ago?
Why is this info coming out so soon shouldn't they wait a little bit more?
They've been yearly since AC2.

In other news, I used to really like this series, and now I am fucking sick of hearing and seeing it. If anything they need to reset it back to the core concept, not put an even greater emphasis on something that has nothing to do with free-running or assassinating; otherwise known as "the reasons we all started playing the series in the first place".

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
boots said:
And when I say "assassinate" I don't mean "cutscene with QTE where you press X to watch the character do the assassinating for you". I mean an honest-to-god sneaky running stabby assassination. Is that too much to ask?
Hey, I agree with you that there should be more sneaky stealth actual assassinations, but to say that that was the ONLY one is a little unfair. The first two big assassinations in AC3 were just that, William Johnson required you to stealth your way to his home, and then you could take the stealth route of jumping on his roof and bring death from above. Pitcairn also had a similar sneaky assassinate part, you had to run past gunfire to then sneak through the trees and bushes and then (if you took the time to look around) climb a tree, jump on a post and jump on his horse to ram the blade into his throat.

There were stealth sections as well, however most of them did not restart the level if you got caught which kinda made it annoying when it was just the controls not being fantastic. For example, you can clear all the forts stealthily, it's just difficult, and with missions like where you have to swim out and blow up the two ships, hard as it may be you can do so stealthily.

So yeah, I agree they need to bring the focus back to stealth, but it's unfair to say there was no stealth in AC3.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
McFazzer said:
I shall be cautiously optimistic about Ubi's reboot of Sid Meier's Pirates!
Ahaha! Precisely my take!

Now, I did not like 'SCreed III. I had to force myself to play through it once I was given free reign as Connor, and I really did it just to see how the Haytham sideplot got resolved.
Horribly, that's how.
But I really liked Sid Meier's Pirates, especially since the free-roaming mechanic involved waylaying vessels with yer hearty crew and having dramatic swordfights with the swash-buckling captain who dared oppose ye.
And you were rewarded for doing that, and it cleanly tied into your story arc and all the other bits because that's what pirate adventure is all about. And it was good.

My gaming nerves had faint gleeful flashbacks to that in select missions of AC3, but it was bogged down with all the tedious revolution overtones. Remove those, keep the rockin' Assassin combat mechanics fit on the treadmill, and maybe I'll be worth looking into 'SCreed IV for that.
If nothing else.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I'd me much more excited for this is if the yearly releases hadn't seriously burnt me out on the series. Haven't been excited about an Assassins Creed game since the second one.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Now watch as nobody buys the game and pirates it so the main character can be more relatable to them. Because they're pirates. YAAARRRGHH