Microsoft Reveals Age of Empires II: HD Edition

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Microsoft Reveals Age of Empires II: HD Edition

The HD remake of the classic RTS will launch on April 9, exclusively through Steam.

Age Of Empires II is one of those classic PC games that people think back on with teary eyes. Pretty much every PC gamer has that one story about playing Age of Empires II at a LAN party. Microsoft wants us to be able to relive those glory days, announcing Age of Empires II: HD Edition, a re-imagining of the 1999 RTS due out on April 9. The HD edition includes every singleplayer campaign from the Age of Kings original and the Conquerors expansion, and will be available exclusively through Valve's Steam platform.

If April 9 is too long for you to wait, gamers who opt to put their money down right now and prepurchase the game will receive a 10% discount as well as four days of early access. Since Ensemble Studios, the original creator of the game, has closed down, work on the updated version is being done by Hidden Path Entertainment, the developer which brought us Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

Microsoft says that the HD edition has been completely remastered for 1080p displays, and includes an "enhanced visual engine" that will spruce up the visuals of the game's terrain, water and fire, and ambient lighting effects. Steamworks features for the game include achievements, leaderboards, cloud saving and a Steam Workshop - allowing modders and mappers to create and share user-generated content.

The game will include an online versus mode, but there is no word on whether LAN play will be included. As LAN play was a pretty big mainstay of the original, it would be quite a disappointment to not see it included in this edition. The fairly modest updated system requirements for the game are as follows:

Minimum System Requirements:
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 Pro
Steam Software Platform
900x600 minimum display resolution
Direct X 9 Capable GPU
1.2GHz CPU
1GB RAM
2GB HDD

Source: Gamespot [http://uk.gamespot.com/news/age-of-empires-ii-hd-arriving-april-9-6404962]

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
God damn, my penis is so hard right now. I want this so damn bad. :O

Does anybody have some money I can throw at the screen? I appear to be plumb out.

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES.

Time to plunder the depths of my coffers and get some money for this bad boy.

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
rock on to robin hood at lumberjack cheese steak jimmy's. wait.. Aegis, how do you turn this on. oh well. i resign. i r winner and i love the monkey head. i bring black death upon you as i torpedo you to smithereens...

and thats all i can remember..

joke burned out >.<

OT: soo.. much.. feels! dat music!

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
RRODs, GFWL... Microsoft, all is forgiven! Now shut up and take my moneys!

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
TopazFusion said:
knight4light said:
rock on to robin hood at lumberjack cheese steak jimmy's. wait.. Aegis, how do you turn this on. oh well. i resign. i r winner and i love the monkey head. i bring black death upon you as i torpedo you to smithereens...
That's a good point actually. I wonder if cheats will still work in it.

Because, you know, games tend not to have cheats nowadays.
Ikr. bring back the good old days of cheats. none of this achievement bs.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Oh yes, I saw this yesterday.
It was the best news I've heard since the original release.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
First reaction, so much want.

But on second thought, I'm not sure why I'd buy this when I already have the original.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
TopazFusion said:
knight4light said:

you can't see in game starter packs like sleeping dogs did, if some guy can just type it into chat

oddly enough they have also caught onto cheat engine and have lots of floating values as well, very annoying

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
TopazFusion said:
knight4light said:

Well, they did show a Cobra at the end of that trailer, so I don't know if that means cheats are back, or just that some things previously available as cheats are going to be available as some sort of special features.

Regardless... DO WANT!

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
smithy_2045 said:
First reaction, so much want.

But on second thought, I'm not sure why I'd buy this when I already have the original.
The original has some annoying graphical glitches on newer systems, same with network multi. So that would be my reason.

Although it seems they haven't done anything besides bumping up the resolution. Which means Aztecs and Mayans will still have steel-clad Men-at-Arms running around.

Yes, that's my big complaint about one of my favourite games of all time. Not enough visual difference between civs.

EDIT: Also, no Slavs. That's the other one.

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
Did they stop doing GFWL yet? Hopefully they wont put it on this game, because it is the only thing that will stop me buying it.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds really good. havent played it for ages and this is by far the best AoE game ever. played countless hours. just now i have graphical problems with it so this HD sounds just too good.

UBERfionn

Jun 7, 2010
Didn't they announce a while back that they were bringing out a new expansion?

I seem to recall some thing about an AOE2 expansion.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I knew this was coming, but I didn't know it was an HD re-release.

WAT

This has made my morning :D