Microsoft Reveals Age of Empires II: HD Edition

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Carnagath said:
cahtush said:
Carnagath said:
If this launches at anything more than 15$, they can go away and leave me alone.
On the steam page it costs 19?, so some bad news for you i guess.

(Sorry for dubble post, didnt know if the quote would send a message if i edited it in)
Yeah, I just noticed. That's too much, not gonna be paying about half of what I paid for Heart of the Swarm for a 15 year old game that I already own twice. Gonna wait for a sale.
Oh please. It comes with the expansion and the ability to invite through Steam. Its well worth $20. If people can throw Nintendo $20-$50 bucks for HD remakes, I can hardly call AoE2 plus the expansion not worth $20

kiwi_poo

Apr 15, 2009
The difference isn't enough for me to bother buying it again. I was able to get Age of Empires one and two for like 5 euros before and the graphics aren't exactly much of an improvement to warrant a repurchase at however much they'll ask for it.
I don't get all this excitement.

Madkipz

Apr 25, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Microsoft Reveals Age of Empires II: HD Edition

The HD remake of the classic RTS will launch on April 9, exclusively through Steam.
http://www.forgottenempires.net/ is a fanmade expansion with additional civs.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Hell yes! I only had the demo of Age of Empires II with the William Wallace campaign and the 1 custom map when I was a kid but I still played the shit out of that demo.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Longstreet said:
Is this just a cash grab? Probably

Do i care? Hell no. This i am gonna get.

I do believe this game holds the record for used cheats.

knight4light said:
rock on to robin hood at lumberjack cheese steak jimmy's. wait.. Aegis, how do you turn this on. oh well. i resign. i r winner and i love the monkey head. i bring black death upon you as i torpedo you to smithereens...
As soon as i started reading that, all of my memories came back.

Screw using horses/ships and what not, Just get a good old fashioned sports car that shoot rocks by flapping its doors.
lol, yeah, the good old cheats. especially the sports car :D how i spawned like 10 of them and just drove down every little house down.
especially if you create your own maps and place 100s of soldiers and just witness a huge battle :D

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
O.O For real?
It alsmost sounds too good to be true, I just hope and pray they did not mess with anything other then looks.

I still remember ALL the cheats, even after all these years, they just have to be in there or it just won't be the same =/

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Steam-enabled AoEII? April 9th?

Lo, I instruct you to gear up, my Mangudai. Ride from the castle in the east, and sweep over the chilled planes, striking all down with your storm of flaming arrows upon the command issued by your leader: "Let's do this freaking thing."

Metalrocks said:
mateushac said:
The same happened to me. I lost my old cds and couldn't find a way to buy it anymore.
Last time I intalled it, though, there were several graphic glitches (grass turned red, sea turned purple).
thats what i have as well. like it has turned in to 16 colors or so. really annoying and unplayable like this.
I'm not usually hyped for HD re-releases, but getting the game with modern graphics support will be worth it just for this alone.
Man I hated that glitch.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
caselj01 said:
Yeah, pretty much going to buy this right fucking now. I actually tried to buy the original AoE2 recently and I don't think its even available any more.
Well I'll be damned, that's correct. I was certain a title this well known would be available digitally somewhere, but it looks like I was wrong

Not on Steam, GOG, Greenman Gaming, Beamdog nor GamersGate

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
...Oh, man! That hit me right in the nostalgia. I remember my cousin teaching me to play that game before my age ever hit the double digits. I always had to cheat to beat the single player levels but I had one hell of a good time doing it!

This...this is nothing but a good thing. I can't wait!

Oh, and Microsoft? If you guys want even more of my money...

This. Do it now.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Man this is so cool. I still play AoE 2. It'll be much better on steam so I can play online there. :)

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
The term (1080p) usually assumes a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, implying a resolution of 1920×1080. What's your PC monitor's resolution? If it's 1920x1080 then it is essentially a "1080p display". Sorry, it's kind of an industry buzzword.
Yes, I know what resolution is. My point, which I thought was about as clear as it could be, is that 1920x1080 is really shit resolution for a PC monitor. Hell, there are tablets with better resolution than that. If this was a console game, making it fit the resolution of most TVs would make sense. But for a PC remake of a PC game? No.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
mateushac said:
caselj01 said:
Yeah, pretty much going to buy this right fucking now. I actually tried to buy the original AoE2 recently and I don't think its even available any more.
The same happened to me. I lost my old cds and couldn't find a way to buy it anymore.
Last time I intalled it, though, there were several graphic glitches (grass turned red, sea turned purple).

For the ones who'll inevitably bash this, the ability to set up a multiplayer match without going through the hassle of going on IRC and trying to directly connect to random ppl's machines is well worth it already.
I completely agree, although red grass and purple see? That sounds pretty cool, you could roleplay (if thats your thing) your exploring a brand new continent of badass

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Dreadman75 said:
...Oh, man! That hit me right in the nostalgia. I remember my cousin teaching me to play that game before my age ever hit the double digits. I always had to cheat to beat the single player levels but I had one hell of a good time doing it!

This...this is nothing but a good thing. I can't wait!

Oh, and Microsoft? If you guys want even more of my money...

This. Do it now.
ok this and Age Of Empires 1 and i may have a nerdgasm, im on the verge with AoE II and have preordered it.
i already know its a good game, its cheaper and i get it a few days earlier. so unless they fuck it up big time theres nothing to worry about

Cat of Doom

Jan 6, 2011
Lol, one of my best friends just brought a copy of the original, so we could play it in LAN party's. So glad to hear this, to this day I have yet to come across a better rts.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
knight4light said:
rock on to robin hood at lumberjack cheese steak jimmy's. wait.. Aegis, how do you turn this on. oh well. i resign. i r winner and i love the monkey head. i bring black death upon you as i torpedo you to smithereens...
I love the monkey head.

Also, FUCKING YES!!!! pure high def nostalgia pumped directly into my eyes!

So much awesome I may just essplode!

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Used to LAN this all the time at High School. Must purchase when funds are acquired. Instant GOTYAY.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
OH YEAH!

If there's one thing I need, it's Age of Empires II with a fresh coat of paint.

The old paint, at least for me, has started glitching out.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Well it's out and playable now for people who pre-ordered. I did and went through the tutorial campaign and it's working great and oh my gosh, over 200 achievements, really?

Anyone else have it/played it yet and have some impressions? If you played the original is this as good as remembered? I never played an Age of Empires game before and I think it's great so far.