Tomb Raider Reaches One Million Players in Two Days

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Tomb Raider Reaches One Million Players in Two Days

Tomb Raider sales are outpacing those of its predecessor, according to Crystal Dynamics.

Nearly four years after on Twitter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93096-Tomb-Raider-Reboot-in-the-Works], Global Brand Director Karl Stewart announced that one million gamers played Tomb Raider within 48 hours of its launch.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/CrystalDKarl/status/309816248450052096]

The tweet isn't supported by any official announcement from Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics yet, so it's a bit unclear, but most likely means one million copies of Tomb Raider have been sold so far. If true, that means it's far outpacing resulted in layoffs at Crystal Dynamics [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/502-Tomb-Raider-Underworld].

It's pretty early to call, but all signs point to the Tomb Raider reboot becoming a successful endeavor. As a longtime fan, I'm really enjoying Lara's reimagined origin story, and I'm hopeful that Crystal Dynamics can maintain this level of quality as the series progresses. If and when Square Enix releases any official sales figures for Tomb Raider, we'll let you know.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/08/crystal-dynamics-1-million-playing-tomb-raider-two-days-after/]

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Didn't it only get released 3 days ago? 1mil already?

I'm glad it's doing so well. Playing it right now and it deserves all the praise it has been getting.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Hmm, still undecided on getting this yet. I played the old Tomb Raider games and liked them, but haven't touched one since Tomb Raider Revelations on the PS1. (1999?! Christ that makes me feel old).

I keep hearing good things about this one, and am kind of running out of games to play.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Legion said:
Hmm, still undecided on getting this yet. I played the old Tomb Raider games and liked them, but haven't touched one since Tomb Raider Revelations on the PS1. (1999?! Christ that makes me feel old).

I keep hearing good things about this one, and am kind of running out of games to play.
It's an excellent game and I absolutely recommend it. I managed to get it for $40 off Green Man Gaming and I'll be honest, I'd be 100% okay if I had paid full price for the game. The new Lara is an excellent character and I've taken a real liking to her.

The gameplay, mechanics and graphics all work together to make the game absolutely fantastic. The QTEs are a bit mashy but they're stylish enough that you forgive them. Though some of those death sequences are rather gruesome, I'll admit.

TecnoMonkey

Jul 2, 2012
Wow, I actually thought this game was going to disappoint on all levels. Glad to see I was wrong, might pick it up eventually.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Wait there is a good SP campaign in there too??? I haven't been able to pull myself away from the MP (which is odd because normally MP gets tried once then forgotten)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I may get it this weekend. Still debating it, but it's looking likely at this rate.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Legion said:

I'll admit to not having played any of the previous games - I wasn't impressed much by the gameplay in the first one (I tried it at a friend's) and just kind of wrote the series off.

However, I've been loving the hell out of this one, I was only mildly interested at first but I liked the idea of rebooting Lara as more than a pair of boobs with guns enough that I decided to give it a shot. I'm glad I did.

Its kind of like Arkham Asylum/Metroidvania meets Uncharted so far with several large open areas to explore, and new parts of the areas becoming accessible as you find new equipment punctuated by more linear sections where the main story stuff occurs and usually has some kind of big set-piece events (Like Lara escaping from a temple while its being blow to hell by natural gas deposits under it going off).

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
really enjoying the game a lot. some minor flaws but nothing to cry about. just the QTE could have been displayed for the what button you have to press (pc version) instead of symbols but otherwise, its really well made. great atmosphere, very good voice acting, and the exploring is pretty fun as well.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mcoffey said:
What?! I call bullshit! Everyone knows you cant have a successful game without microtransactions, on-disk day-one DLC, always online DRM and co-op! Haven't they been listening to EA?

In seriousness, I am really liking the game and I'm glad to see they're getting the success the game deserves. It's refreshing to look forward to Tomb Raider games again.
You forgot the online pass (which TR doesn't have)

Tar Palantir

Jan 16, 2012
I'm happy it's doing well, I just completed the game on Hard, I'd never played Tomb Raider before, and the movies looked like over-the-top-cheap-videogame-cash-ins.

There are many QTEs (expecially during the 1st hour, less and less as you move on), some dissonance between narrative and gameplay, but that didn't stop me from really enjoying the game and the characters (voiced beautifully I might add).

And how can you not like Lara? Probably because they made her look EXTREMELY cute, but mostly because she feels like a real person. Thumbs up for Camilla Luddington, great performance.

Also, thank god I bought an AMD card, still runs badly on NVIDIA!

devilmore

Nov 18, 2009
I hpe its successfull, I want a sequel to this. Haven't palyed Tomb Raider since III on the PSX, but the reboot is really good. Has been quite a while since I marathoned through a game like that.

Also @Mcoffey: It has HAS day one dlc.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Prehaps I've just been spoiled by SUPER-HEUG releases like CoD but 1 million in two days doesn't sound all that impressive.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
so happy to see its a financial success. i want more of this game play (minus a few QTEs) and more of the new lara.

also, the multiplayer is good? i may have to try it.

Tar Palantir

Jan 16, 2012
jehk said:
so happy to see its a financial success. i want more of this game play (minus a few QTEs) and more of the new lara.
Yep, I finished the game satisfied by the experience, but I also wanted to see new-Lara again in another game!!
It wouldn't be easy to fit her in another story tho, since they can't go with the "from-innocent-to-hardened" route again.
But as long as they can deliver something emotionally engaging with a good story, good characters and less QTEs, I'm all for it!