Tomb Raider Reaches One Million Players in Two Days

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
It's amazing what reboots get arbitrary passes and which ones don't.

In any case, I've been a fan since the beginning, and I suppose I'll have to check this out at some point just to see for myself how good it is. I haven't played Tomb Raider past Legend.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Oh hey, it turns out that when you don't insult and belittle fans of the previous iterations your reboot might end up actually being successful. Who'd have thunk it?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Good to see.

I'm still enjoying the game and would like to see more of the new Lara.

(Fuck you spellchecker, "Lara" does not have a "U" in it.)

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
LtFerret said:
Oh hey, it turns out that when you don't insult and belittle fans of the previous iterations your reboot might end up actually being successful. Who'd have thunk it?
Nonononono! Don't you see. If they had said that old Lara was dressed like a cheap whore, they would have sold at least 2 millions by now. Those fools.

OT: Now that is surprising. Guess gamers were ready for something new in the franchise. Anyway, welcome back Lara.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's really a fantastic game. I'm glad it's doing well. It means a sequel is likely to happen. Need more Lara Croft.

I was skeptical at first when I saw that Lara suffers from regenerating health and a lot of shooting, but it's so well done. My only gripes are too many QTE's and not enough puzzles and tombs.

Tar Palantir

Jan 16, 2012
Guy Jackson said:
devilmore said:
Also @Mcoffey: It has HAS day one dlc.
What DLC? I don't see anything on Steam. Is it only on Xbox?
No, just some pre-order bonuses, 3 outfits, silencer, animal instincs and agility in advance and an extraa tomb i think.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Alright Crystal Dynamics, these numbers got you some pull with Square. What you must do is talk them into pulling the IP for Legacy of Kain out of whatever hole it's in and work that magic again like you did here. Lord knows Dyack won't be doing it anytime soon.

Marik2 said:
Is the multiplayer tacked on or surprisingly good?
The multiplayer was done by the Deus Ex:HR team, so I imagine it's at least very well made and not an afterthought. I haven't played it myself, though.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Marik2 said:
It's pretty much a watered down version of Uncharted 3's multiplayer.
It isn't bad but I don't think it will be around long, my experience on the PC is that the multiplayer is very barren most of the days except for certain peak times.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Wonder how many of those players like me are frustratingly trying to get through the games innumerable quick time events.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
A solid, well-made game with minimal bullshit sells like hotcakes while EA's latest attempts at using always-online DRM is creating a PR nightmare.

Sometimes the universe just works...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I'm glad its doing well

I mean I don't know if it will make any difference to the Idea of female protagonists, since it already comes with a recognized name

but a game that has BOTH a "different" and good approach to a female protagonist AND doing well (which when you think about ti we really haven't seen this gen)

that can't be a bad thing

now lets just wait for yahtzee ot rip the shit out of it...I don't think he'll like it (just going by instinct)

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
It's nice to see a good game with no bullshit - no DRM, microtransactions, online pass or huge chunks of the game carved out for DLC - doing so well. I'm enjoying it a lot, even the multilayer is pretty fun.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Mcoffey said:
squid5580 said:
Mcoffey said:
What?! I call bullshit! Everyone knows you cant have a successful game without microtransactions, on-disk day-one DLC, always online DRM and co-op! Haven't they been listening to EA?

In seriousness, I am really liking the game and I'm glad to see they're getting the success the game deserves. It's refreshing to look forward to Tomb Raider games again.
You forgot the online pass (which TR doesn't have)
It's like Eidos wasn't even trying to make an eternally monetized 'service' and was trying to make a, a game or something!

Those sad luddites. They don't even know what the 'future' is.
And a million copies in two days? That's peanuts. If you're not pushing for CoD's sales numbers, what's the point?

In all seriousness, I'm QUITE impressed that Square-Enix has shown the level of restraint that they have in today's industry. Between this and Deus Ex: HR (I can't speak for Hitman, never played any of those), Square-Enix has shown a strong willingness to take a step back and let the studios under their umbrella make the games that those studios want to make without a lot of the bullshit in and around today's games, market trends be damned; and the end-result is good games that sell well (not CoD-well, but well enough to be financially successful and justify their existence business-wise).

This bodes well for the future these series as well as rumored future projects like Thief 4 and the Legacy of Kain reboot.

Marik2 said:
For me it's somewhere in between.

I've found it generally enjoyable, and definitely different from most multiplayer games I've played.

On the other hand, it feels a bit unpolished to me. The animations can get choppy. Then again, some of that could be my connection; I don't have the best high-speed internet service and my home's network is unreliable.

I also question the balance. The game types tend to go more for offense vs. defense objective-based game modes, which is harder to balance than symmetrical Team Deathmatch or Team CTF.

It's definitely not as refined as the Assassin's Creed multiplayer has been, but still pretty fun in it's own right.