Capcom Taps WayForward To Revive DuckTales

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Capcom Taps WayForward To Revive DuckTales

Classic NES platformer DuckTales will be making its return to modern consoles, thanks to Capcom and Contra 4 developer WayForward Technologies.

I'm a cynical old man, and as a result there are very few developers whose games I will always buy sight unseen. Blizzard Entertainment and Platinum Games are the first two names on this list, and easily the most notable, but the third is the far less prominent, but no less talented WayForward Technologies. For evidence, you need look no further than this recent article I penned [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122725-Ex-WayForward-Devs-Seek-Kickstarter-Funding-For-New-Game] on a Kickstarter project created by former WayForward employees in an effort to get their latest game development project off the ground - That's not even technically a WayForward game, but the company's efforts to date (Contra 4, Shinobi and the Shantae franchise immediately jump to mind) are so good that I can't help but be massively excited for anything even tangentially associated with WayForward Technologies.

That's one reason why today's announcement from Capcom is such big news. The other is that the publisher is finally reviving one of its best platforming titles from the NES era: DuckTales.

Based on the cartoon of the same name, the original NES title focused on Scrooge McDuck's globe-hopping efforts to collect as much treasure as possible. See, Uncle Scrooge is a very wealthy duck, but he's also very greedy. That said, he's also intensely devoted to his family, or at least his nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie. His brother Donald is an idiot, but Scrooge tolerates his stupidity because, well, that's just what you do for family members.

Despite being a licensed videogame, the original DuckTales features some of the tightest controls and clever level design found on the NES - a console utterly riddled with platforming games. Plus, DuckTales has arguably the finest music ever created in a videogame. Listen to the theme from the game's Moon stage [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF32DRg9opA] and see if it doesn't become indelibly stuck in your brain.

Information from Capcom on this title is currently scarce. It was only revealed a few moments ago at the ongoing PAX East conference, but the company was kind enough to pass along a reveal trailer, which you can find embedded above. Most of it serves as a promotional effort, quoting industry figures like Cliff Bleszinski as to why DuckTales is such a seminal release, but it also offers our first glimpse at the new version's graphics (which handily capture the aesthetic of its original cartoon source material). Further it demonstrates that many of the tropes found in the NES classic will be present in its new incarnation, including the inexplicably-placed ice cream cones and those stupid undead duck skeletons that scared the 'eff out of my 7-year-old self. Unfortunately, we don't have a specific release date or price point for the game, but the end of the trailer indicates that it will come available this summer for basically every modern console platform in existence. Now would be a good time to run, screaming, around your house, waking up any sleepy pets just so you can explain to them in vain how pumped you are for all of this. My cat didn't much appreciate it, but I think he'll come around.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N0PzqF9gWY]

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
*shamelessly DID sing along with the trailer with loudest voice possible*

i excited but ill be that guy...PC version too please :D

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This best be coming out on steam or gog also. I fucken loved Ducktails, one of the best platformers around.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
PC, please?

I don't know...Capcom and PC...not very good history.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
YESSSSSS. When it comes to 2D, it doesn't get much better than Wayforward. To this day I'm hoping for a Sigma Star Saga sequel that is probably never going to happen, but in the meantime everyone needs to get their ass on greenlight and vote for Shantae so those of us lacking in the "owns a 3DS" category can get in on the fun.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
After Double Dragon Neon, I'd sell myself into their servitude for Ducktales if it's even half as good.

Captcha: Final Answer? YES! MOAR!

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Wayforward is definitely one of the best studios for doing retro revivals. Contra 4, Double Dragon Neon, and A Boy and his Blob were all love letters to 80s-90s classics. I demand they be tapped for a new Mega Man!

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I am pleased. VERY pleased. I played Ducktales, but never really beat it before, and can barely remember it actually. Wait no, I remember the moon level, although I think that's it (and bouncing around the cane oh so many times). But I'm loving how it looks.

Wonder what brought this on in the first place though?

P.S. Oh god, I just listened to the moon level music. The memories...oh the memories.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
RatherDull said:
Speaking of Duck Tales, is it just me or does the music sound very similar to Mega Man 2?
capcom, bro

capcom

they hogged all the good talent back then

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
A. This is awesome news. I immediately went back to all my memories playing this growing up at my cousin's house as well as watching the show. I can't wait to make some new old memories.

B. One tiny note. Donald is Scrooge's nephew. Huey, Dewey, and Louie are his great nephews. Scrooge has a couple of sisters (Donald's mother) and half brother (if you count the Italian comics). Not a major point like I said. If you get the chance, you should check out the Scrooge comics penned by Carl Barks. The outlandish adventures Scrooge and his nephews got into fueled the minds of both young Spielberg and Lucas and both have attributed the fantastical worlds and adventures as inspirations for some aspects of their films (Indiana Jones to say the least). They might just be my favourite comics.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
WOO-OO!

Wait 'till my brother hears about this. He'll go absolutely quack-tastic over this...

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
major_chaos said:
To this day I'm hoping for a Sigma Star Saga sequel that is probably never going to happen
I DEMAND THE HIGHEST OF FIVES!

Seriously, while Sigma Star Saga was very much broken as far as both balance and bugs go, the idea was marvelous, the game looked really neat on the GBA, and it has some of the best writing I've seen on a portable game (granted, I've played very few)

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
That theme song. It will never leave! IT WILL NEVER LEAVE!

Any 2D platformer with hand-drawn sprites is a win in my book. Too many platformers these days either go classic sprites or 2.5D. It's nice to see something that stands out stylistically. I'll be picking this up for sure!