DuckTales Remastered Will be "Significantly Easier"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

Rest assured old-school gamers, the game's producer says "If you want the pure experience we are reproducing that with the harder difficulties."

"Gamers are just different today," Rey Jimenez, producer for the upcoming Polygon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122859-Capcom-Taps-WayForward-To-Revive-DuckTales]. "We had to make [Ducktales Remastered] significantly easier and more accessible." But, Jimenez assured us that old-school masochistic gamers who suffered through the likes of Contra and Battletoads will still be able to challenge themselves. "If you want the pure experience we are reproducing that with the harder difficulties."

The game is made easier by the addition of several new features. Fans of the original will remember that "pogo-ing" with Scrooge's cane involved a rather complicated affair of jumping, ducking, and pressing a third button. In the new game, it is achieved simply by jumping and pressing another button. Maps will have built-in guidance, and the need to keep re-visiting the Transylvania level (a particularly nasty level) has been removed. These features can be turned off in higher difficulty levels.

Jimenez went on to talk about some exciting new features for the game. He says that they have been able to tap a lot more original artwork from the cartoon series, and Capcom's Christian Svensson confirmed on the Capcom unity forums [http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/29823007/why-did-you-decide-to-remake-ducktales?post_num=15#530066449] that the game will feature all of the original voice actors from the show. This means that the game should look, feel and sound more like the DuckTales world. New content includes galleries, the ability to unlock a rare full-length version of the TV show's theme song and even the ability to swim Scrooge around in the money in his vault.

Jimenez also hinted at future Capcom remakes of classic Disney games. The work that Capcom put in to get the rights from Disney to remake this game could lead to remastered editions of titles such as Aladdin, Darkwing Duck and Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers. He says that this all depends on the success of DuckTales Remastered, but told us "In a purely hypothetical world, I think Chip n' Dale would be the next logical one. It makes sense because it's the next in the hierarchy."

DuckTales Remastered should be out this summer for the PlayStation 3, Wii U and Xbox 360.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/22/4136816/ducktales-remastered-pax-east-capcom]

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
Steven Bogos said:

Jimenez also hinted at future Capcom remakes of classic Disney games. The work that Capcom put in to get the rights from Disney to remake this game could lead to remastered editions of titles such as Aladdin, Darkwing Duck and Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers. He says that this all depends on the success of DuckTales Remastered, but told us "In a purely hypothetical world, I think Chip n' Dale would be the next logical one. It makes sense because it's the next in the hierarchy."

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/22/4136816/ducktales-remastered-pax-east-capcom]

There's a hierarchy?

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
There was a big demand for a ducktales game? Ok surprising since that cartoon was on when i was a child. Also this was a hard game not that i remember and again is their a big pull for a RR remake?

ZakCanard

Anas Charisma
Oct 17, 2007
I'm disappointed to hear they've "fixed" the pogo. Was pressing A and down then holding B and either left or right really that hard?

Roander said:
There's a hierarchy?
Only if you count their original release dates as a hierarchy. Duck Tales came out in 1989, Chip n' Dale in 1990, Darkwing Duck in 1992.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
ZakCanard said:
I'm disappointed to hear they've "fixed" the pogo. Was pressing A and down then holding B and either left or right really that hard?
More annoying than hard - and pointless, too.

StoneMcKnuckle

Feb 22, 2011
Although I already expected it, I must say I'm a little disappointed to see it's not coming out on PC. Oh well.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
saddddd about no PC. as for the pogo jumping fix...it's a core game mechanic for both travel and combat, not a complicated 'special move'. While no it's not that hard to do, it was always needlessly complex.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I wonder, why is Capcom suddenly on the Disney video game train?

I thought Disney would shy away from it after the sales disaster that was Epic Mickey 2?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
So the original game was hard was it? I must have played a different game growing up. Are they really pandering to the "games are too hard" crowd or is it that this generation of gamers aren't as skilled (due to constantly being walked through and hand held)?

Darth Marsden

Sep 12, 2008
doggie015 said:
Why do people no longer like releasing on the PC? If you can release on Xbox 360 you can release on PC!
There's Steam achievements floating around [http://devinwatson.com/SteamSchema/227600.html] that indicates it WILL be on PC, they just haven't mentioned it yet.

Also, as the Jimquisition put it - just because there's an Easy mode doesn't stop you from playing on Hard for the classic experience. You're not losing anything, just gaining options that you don't even need to use.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
008Zulu said:
So the original game was hard was it? I must have played a different game growing up. Are they really pandering to the "games are too hard" crowd or is it that this generation of gamers aren't as skilled (due to constantly being walked through and hand held)?
I see no issue with that. There are people who can't hold a controller properly but still want to play games and I think that it's a good thing. They are no longer being detracted by the games' difficulty. Games can entertain more people as a result.

Yes, the post had me worried too at the 'will be significantly easier' part but then again, harder difficulties will be available. No harm done. Accessible doesn't always mean evil.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
008Zulu said:
Or y'know, I just want a bit of nostalgic escapism to kill an hour as I wind down from throwing my controller at the screen again in Dark Souls.

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
I see no problem with the decrease in difficulty if they give you the option to make it just as hard as the original. That said, good that they fixed the pogo. I mean...whats the point?

Might even get this if they port it to steam. Looks quite nice.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I have nothing against an easy mode, but younger gamer who don't play on the hard difficulty aren't playing Duck Tales. They are playing a different game with the same character in it. So releasing a "classic" for them to play and then chancing it so much that it's not the same "classic" game is kinda pointless.

It would be like releasing the original Super Mario Bros. and adding checkpoints, save/load options and the items from the newer game.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Ooh am intrigued if only to see what they do with the moon level and its infamous theme :)

Otherwise for difficulty and stuff... I got no opinion, i remember it being really obscene to beat the original gameboy version of ducktales and id probably struggle a lot more now that im older and not as conditioned to beat tough 8 bit platformers so can understand why they feel the need to make it easier for modern day peeps.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
008Zulu said:
Well thanks to the "Moon Level Theme" submitted by someone I know this is the same (well one of but the right one I was thinking about) game I played on Sega Channel and I don't recall ever finding out about a pogo jump being one of the digital delivery pioneers it was a pain to load up the "game manuals" for every game(if they ever did or started at one point which would mean they didn't always have it.) and the quicker but shorter tips pages only covered a few of the months games at any time. So I'm guessing that Pogo Jump wasn't a well discovered skill in just the game alone if you didn't have a user manual which if it doubles as an attack sounds like it helps out a lot.

(My stopping point in the original was always right after getting Gizmo Ducks remote control and losing him because he'd run off screen due to zero understanding on how to properly use him.)