2K Reveals The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Encaen

May 6, 2005
2K Reveals The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified will take the "classic XCOM formula" and put it in real time.

It's 1962 and the threat of war with Russia is has all levels of government on alert. To combat the threat of a Russian invasion, various agencies have been created to safeguard the United States. When the terrestrial threat is overshadowed by an otherworldly invasion, however, The Bureau must refocus its energies on combating the alien menace. Such is the beginning of XCOM, the organization tasked with preventing the extermination and/or enslavement of the population of Earth. Nothing is ever easy, though, and to throw a spanner in the works, they must keep their activities out of the public eye. Whether this is something the player will need to keep in mind during missions, or if it's just a part of the narrative is unclear, but it is most assuredly in keeping with the XCOM mantra.

[video=7195]

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified focuses on third person tactical squad based combat, where you play as William Carter, a hardened agent in his own right, who was recruited by The Bureau to lead other, lesser agents into battle against the alien incursion. The combat is real time, so you won't have the luxury of thinking out your battle strategy while your opponent patiently waits for their turn. It's also not a run-and-gun sort of environment where you can simply Rambo your way through combat. No, the campaign was described as "relentless" with the classic XCOM staple; agent permadeath.

It's not enough that your agents can die in a firefight and just stay dead, no, this is XCOM, which means that you'll be leveling up your agents, growing attached to them, feeling personally responsible when one of them kicks it, and possibly rethinking your involvement in the XCOM project as your dear comrades in arms start to drop like flies. Each agent will be assigned a class, like Commando or Recon, and level up courtesy of experience gained in combat. Each class will have skill tree(s) which allow you to unlock powerful abilities to aid you in combat, such as telekinesis, advanced turrets, and flash bangs. Naturally, you'll be acquiring and researching alien technology as you progress through the game, though the details are sparse, the fact remains that you'll most likely (hopefully) be blasting your way through the final chapters of the story with a Plasma Rifle in hand.

Staying true to the "classic XCOM formula," The Bureau will be a strictly single-player affair. I wasn't terribly impressed with the multiplayer component of Enemy Unknown, and XCOM has been a traditionally single player experience, so I'm not terribly distraught by the fact that the development time was spent focusing on the single player portion, rather than the requisite balancing act of multiplayer.

[gallery=1454]

The term "hardcore" was even bandied about, which means you'll likely be losing a number of agents before you see the game through to its conclusion. You'll need to be able to use both "brains and bullets" to get through the origin story of XCOM and the subsequent cover up of its existence. If, like me, you're a die-hard XCOM player, then The Bureau sounds like it will have more than enough on offer to entice you to give it a shot. If you're not an XCOM person, however, but you're interested in a shooter that's not quite a shooter, then you may well find yourself entranced with the XCOM universe when all is said and done. At least that's what 2K is hoping for with this latest entry in the franchise.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified launches for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC in the US on August 20th and internationally on August 23rd, and will retail here in the states for $59.99.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Considering I got my strategy XCOM, I am willing to give this a shot. If they had only released this a few years back without releasing XCOM:EU, then I would have been pissed.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
The music at the beginning felt a bit unnecessary otherwise a very nicely made trailer. Looking forward to this game, particularly for the atmosphere the time period its in provides. Also loving the geometrical aliens :3.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
So....Same shit just different marketing? Guessing people will buy that.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
mad825 said:
So....Same shit just different marketing? Guessing people will buy that.
Considering that most people were annoyed because it was called XCOM, yes, they now will because it isn't called XCOM anymore. It is related (as subtitle hints), but it is its own game otherwise.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I'm actually looking forward to it. I like the idea of trying to reverse engineer alien tech from a period of time where computers essentially didn't exist.

I also hope you get to play in a situation where - because you didn't devote enough resources to researching - your primitive gunpowder based firearms just bounce off your opponents... in first person.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I would've liked it more if it was a new IP, buy I guess and XCOM spin-off works well too. The thing that bothered me in the trailer was "From the makers of Bioshock 2". I recently played Bioshock 2 - that's not good news. It had a poorly written story, didn't have half of the immersion of Bioshock, and it was way too buggy (PC version).

I do like the fact that there's permadeath, classes and leveling up of agents. I'm not very optimistic about it though.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Long-time X-COM fan, and I always supported this, and I'm still really looking forward to it. Pretty much anything based around the sinister side of the 50's American nuclear family culture has some weird, cool, chilling appeal to it I can't resist. I wish the setting was more frequently used.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Abomination said:
I also hope you get to play in a situation where - because you didn't devote enough resources to researching - your primitive gunpowder based firearms just bounce off your opponents... in first person.
They did say it was "Hardcore" - so it's quite possible. At the same time though, we can boil it down to "cautious optimism". It might work better with the rebranding.

DaGobbo

Sep 14, 2010
Not interested in the least, this is the second time they are trying to market this game, just with a new title. Keep X-COM a non 3rd person shooter IP, thanks. There aren't enough X-Com style gameply as it is.
I will skip this in favor of Xenonauts, the X-Com game currently being made by fans of the original. The game play looks to be much better then the X-Com released last year. I've already pre-purchased my copy.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I am happy to see that it will be a purely single player experience. Perhaps the well selling Bioshock Infinite and The Bureau: X-COM Declassified will show other developers and publishers that not every game needs multiplayer. I do like the idea of permadeath. Will that apply to the player character and their teammates or just their teammates?

It does sound like a pretty interesting game. I will most likely pre-order a copy in the next few days.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good to know that this game got only delayed for a few months but wasn't shelved thanks to all that fanboy whining. I feel that the third-person perspective will also probably work better with squad tactics system they were going for.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
If they just completely dropped any and all pretense of this being related to XCOM, I would likely give this a try as some of the ideas seem pretty sound. Might get it when it goes on sale perhaps, but for now I'm quite content with Enemy Unknown.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
3rd-person squad-based real-time combat-sandwich? How does that... oh hell no... is this going to play like Dragon Age but with guns? I can't tell from the trailer because it's not even prerendered, thus even less useful than the sticky tissues Square Enix usually hands us... and I can't find any gameplay footage. Oh well, I guess I can wait for a while to decide if I'm going to hate the mechanics.

Btw, fighting off aliens in the 50s is about as appealing as playing as a big daddy in Rapture.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Buccura said:
If they just completely dropped any and all pretense of this being related to XCOM, I would likely give this a try as some of the ideas seem pretty sound. Might get it when it goes on sale perhaps, but for now I'm quite content with Enemy Unknown.
So far, the only relation to XCOM seems to be the name "XCOM Declassified" - and potentially being an explaination why we got the option to make lasers and powerarmor in the original set in 1999...

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
Bindal said:
Buccura said:
So far, the only relation to XCOM seems to be the name "XCOM Declassified" - and potentially being an explaination why we got the option to make lasers and powerarmor in the original set in 1999...
I actually got the impression that this was a prequel to the newer Enemy Unknown, rather than the original game.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Buccura said:
I actually got the impression that this was a prequel to the newer Enemy Unknown, rather than the original game.
They always said that it is set in the world of the original series, not EU. Both 2K Marin and Firaxis.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well if I fain complete ignorance at this point I would call this amazing, the trailer is bang on target and the PR blurb about story and gameplay is right up my alley, they have all the potential to make something epic.

However I'm no good at ignorance, so the fact that trailers and games are done by completely different companies shatters this dream a little, also that PR blurbs are just collections of words put together to reflect a target audience not the game, and that this game has swapped more hands then your friendly neighborhood hooker, additionally it is being redone again which just introduces more and more problems to the already problematic base which was a completely uninspired generic FPS, to top it off they still use the XCOM name just because it will make a couple extra sales.

Ya you could make an amazing game with that concept but making it from old failed scrap projects is never the way.