Police Intervene in Star Wars-Doctor Who Convention Altercation

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Police Intervene in Star Wars-Doctor Who Convention Altercation

If you want to roll with the Whovians, you can't be afraid to throw down when some Star Wars jackwagon gets out of line.

It was a fine spring day this past weekend at an event hosted by the Norwich Star Wars Club and all was well - until members of the Norwich Sci-Fi Club decided to crash the party. Sci-Fi Club Treasurer Jim Poole claimed Star Wars Club organizer Richard Walker tried to bounce him as he sought an autograph from Graham Cole, who according to Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Cole] appeared, often uncredited, in numerous 1980s episodes of Doctor Who. Words were exchanged; they then took it outside, where more words were exchanged.

Reports of a man being assaulted led to police intervention in the standoff, which involved more than a dozen fans from both sides, some in "fancy dress," according to the Norwich Evening News. The situation was tense - these were serious sci-fi hardballers on the scene - but fortunately police were able to contain the matter before anyone got shanked with a sonic screwdriver, or came into any other kind of unwanted physical contact with a stranger.

"After lengthy investigation, talking to witnesses and reviewing good CCTV footage, it was confirmed that there was no assault," a police spokesman said. "The two rival groups were spoken to and advised to keep out of each other's way."

Representatives from both groups said a "long-running rivalry" existed between them, and the Star Wars club claimed that Doctor Who fans had tried to undermine the convention by posting nasty comments about it on Facebook. Nonetheless, the two sides expressed hope that they could work out their differences for the greater good of the galaxy.

Source: Norwich Evening News [http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/darth_brawl_sci_fi_fans_turn_to_the_dark_side_in_clash_at_norwich_star_wars_convention_1_2194235]

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Now really. We all know it's only a matter of time before this really boils over and we get the Japanophiles wielding katana's.

It's all fun and games until someone looses their head. Literally.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
Chrono212 said:
Now really. We all know it's only a matter of time before this really boils over and we get the Japanophiles wielding katana's.

It's all fun and games until someone looses their head. Literally.
...Or until someone's sword shatters like ice and takes out someone's eye, which I should think would be more likely.

OT: I'm trying to imagine what exactly was going through the heads of the police who responded. I really haven't got a clue.

Jamane

Sep 24, 2010
I read this just after watching this weeks rhymedown spectacular and heard it as prose.

OT: fortunately there was a police box nearby to call them and they did respond at hyperspeed (I'm sorry)

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Damn. I remember the old wars, where it was just the Starwarsians vs. the Trekkies. Now Whovians are in te mix? This must be how nations felt during the Cold War, where the lines between good and evil have blurred.

Smashingpass

Jan 10, 2013
I like this. It's a good indicator that us British folk have moved on since the London riots of two years ago.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
That would have been the funniest fight ever! Hard core nerds arguing, some in cosplay about star wars and dr who ... for many it would have been a first fight and for the rest the keyboards would have bore the brunt of the nerd rage.

Forums everywhere burnt to a crisp from the built up rage.

Sometimes you just gotta let some shit slide and realize you're fighting over sci-fi, nothing at all meaningful.... same goes for games.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I can't wait until they all pull out their weapons and start going real sci-fi on eachothers asses with lightsabers and whatnot!

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
omega 616 said:
That would have been the funniest fight ever! Hard core nerds arguing, some in cosplay about star wars and dr who ... for many it would have been a first fight and for the rest the keyboards would have bore the brunt of the nerd rage.

Sometimes you just gotta let some shit slide and realize you're fighting over sci-fi, nothing at all meaningful.... same goes for games.
There was never an assault though that's the best part! It was verbal assault over Facebook and a little namecalling in person.

This. This is as nerdy as it gets. Even our rivalries consist of calling each other names and then telling on them.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Thyunda said:
omega 616 said:

There was never an assault though that's the best part! It was verbal assault over Facebook and a little namecalling in person.

This. This is as nerdy as it gets. Even our rivalries consist of calling each other names and then telling on them.
I was speaking hypothetically, "That would have been".

Like any star wars fans or dr who fans are going to go all rioty ever, not like football or hockey fans that wreck shit up caveman style ... nerds will call each other long words and use memes.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
So I take it there was never any scene of the Fourth Doctor using his enormous scarf to strangle three gorns at the same time? That's pretty disappointing...

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
I cannot take this seriously. All I can envision is a bunch of high school kids slapping each other.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
an annoyed writer said:
Damn. I remember the old wars, where it was just the Starwarsians vs. the Trekkies. Now Whovians are in te mix? This must be how nations felt during the Cold War, where the lines between good and evil have blurred.
I'm just glad the Browncoats and Bronies have enough tact not to get involved in shenanigans like this. Or the Whedonites, for that matter.

Not that I'm surprised, though. Up here in Quebec, the Medieval Historical Re-enactment types get in heated online tiffs with the more generic Elves-and-Goblins LARPers.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
omega 616 said:
Thyunda said:
omega 616 said:

I was speaking hypothetically, "That would have been".

Like any star wars fans or dr who fans are going to go all rioty ever, not like football or hockey fans that wreck shit up caveman style ... nerds will call each other long words and use memes.
Are you implying a Whovian can't get violent?