Diablo III Infographic Shows 2.1 Million Players Still Log On Daily

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Diablo III Infographic Shows 2.1 Million Players Still Log On Daily

Despite the doom-and-gloom that the internet loves to spout about Diablo III's "failure", it seems as though the game is doing quite well for itself one year on.

Diablo III has turned one year old, and Blizzard are celebrating. Previously, they announced that players would get official Blizzard store. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124056-Blizzard-Celebrates-A-Year-Of-Diablo-III-With-Bonus-XP-Loot] If any one concept represents the core of the Diablo series, it's numbers. You slay monsters to collect gold to buy gear to make your numbers bigger. In celebration of numbers, Blizzard have released a nice, big, number-filled infographic that shows despite all the doom-and-gloom stories we have heard, it's still doing pretty well after its first birthday.

The image shows that an average of 2.1 million players still log in to sanctuary every day, and that around 14 million unique players have experienced the game. 67 million characters have been created, and they have collected 648 trillion gold! If you're a fan of stats, be sure to check out the full image bellow:

Diablo III is currently exclusive to PC and Mac, but a PS3/PS4 version of the game is in the works, and should be out later this year.

Source: Battle.net [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/9691895/]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
God damn that's a lot of numbers.

Though these sorts of stats always surprise me at how few people actually finish games.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Despite the doom-and-gloom that the internet loves to spout about Diablo III's "failure", it seems as though the game is doing quite well for itself one year on.
Well SimCity (2013) did "quite well for itself" at 1.6 million sales despite being train wreck of a game. It wouldn't surprise me that blizzard found 2.1 million people who can't judge if an arpg is good or not.

edit: world wide so that's 2.1 million out of 8 billion people (minus number who have no computer).

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Ummmm, the article title is incorrect...

The AVERAGE NUMBER OF DAILY PLAYERS SINCE LAUNCH is 2.1 million. That means that this average also includes the early population boom which in turn means that the current daily numbers are below 2.1 million (they have to be to average out to 2.1 mil when considering the initial high numbers), perhaps even half that number. But whatever...

EDIT: The average daily number for the past, say, month would be much more indicative of the state of the game...

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Jandau said:

The AVERAGE NUMBER OF DAILY PLAYERS SINCE LAUNCH is 2.1 million. That means that this average also includes the early population boom which in turn means that the current daily numbers are below 2.1 million (they have to be to average out to 2.1 mil when considering the initial high numbers), perhaps even half that number. But whatever...

EDIT: The average daily number for the past, say, month would be much more indicative of the state of the game...
I'm with Jandau, what is the average daily numbers for the last few months Blizzard?

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I read that chart as:

14.5 million buyers were able to log in once, 2.1 million still bother with it on average.

I havent bothered with the title since launch, hell havent even finished the game since my last play session ended abruptly when after a annoying and tedious battle with random boss types, my client lost connection with the server and wiped that play session progress.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
ASnogarD said:
I read that chart as:

14.5 million buyers were able to log in once, 2.1 million still bother with it on average.

I havent bothered with the title since launch, hell havent even finished the game since my last play session ended abruptly when after a annoying and tedious battle with random boss types, my client lost connection with the server and wiped that play session progress.
That seems badly designed.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Well, lets put it this way. Those stats tell us that 53% of the people who bought Diablo completed Normal or less and quit. Only 6% of players decided it was worthwhile enough to complete inferno (the highest difficulty, and I imagine at least 5 of that 6 percent were done after the inferno nerf. The current number of average users is actually up since Jay Wilson resigned from the project (by about 40% if memory serves), and the overall satisfaction rate isn't very high. Most of the actual fans of the game are the ones who completed inferno, and that doesn't even apply to everyone. Myself for instance I have completed Inferno (I wasn't going to let my 60$ go to waste), but I am very dissatisfied with the game in general, though I still have hopes for it (after all diablo 2 wasn't terribly successful at first either).

Mar 30, 2010
Err, just no.

If the average number of players since launch is 2.1 million per day, that does not mean that 2.1 million people still log in today. By a long shot. Let's have the login details for the last quarter, that'd be much more telling.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
Look, I understand that you disliked the game, but why on earth do people still need to twist and turn the numbers to fit your perception, that the game failed? You hated it, but it's still wildly popular and a fun game. Not by your standards, but hey.

14.5 millions sold copies, average 2.1 millions log ons per day... Even if you say that one third of buyers are botters, the other third thrashed their game after the first week and the last third consists of crazed fanboys... it's still impressive.

ASnogarD said:
I read that chart as:

Wiped sessions progress? Do you mean checkpoints, gear or downed bosses? Because while one might have to restart levels, gear and bosses are always tracked and it's impossible to lose them due to lost server connection.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Simply meant I had to redo that area again, not losing exp or items just had to re-clear the area which was tedious enough the first time, needing to do the same again but now aware of how tedious it was put me off.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
Err, just no.

If the average number of players since launch is 2.1 million per day, that does not mean that 2.1 million people still log in today. By a long shot. Let's have the login details for the last quarter, that'd be much more telling.
Came here to say the same thing. The info-graphic is just marketing "See! We are still popular! Come play! You are missing out! Lots of other people still play :D" I blame the title of the article.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Jandau said:

Ah, someone beat me to it. Yeah, since the title has been running for about a year, that number is best as an indication of 2.1 million players logging in daily about 6 months ago. (And that's assuming a linear drop off, which is probably generous.)

Put it this way: If 766 million players logged in on Launch Day for Diablo III, then nobody ever touched the game again, the average daily log-in over the past year would STILL be 2.1 million.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
ASnogarD said:
Simply meant I had to redo that area again, not losing exp or items just had to re-clear the area which was tedious enough the first time, needing to do the same again but now aware of how tedious it was put me off.
Must have been your first time in a Diablo game. Same thing happens in Diablo II if you close out of the game and re-enter before you've finished an area. Sure, it's not the same as needing to redo it because you were forced out of the game, but the mechanics are the same.

OT: Oh joy, another Diablo III thread, where people will talk about how "objectively bad" the game is, and how nobody could possibly actually still be playing because nobody could possibly think it's a fun game, and how everything is ruined by bad design decisions and how it's "the worst ARPG ever made" and I really shouldn't even bother posting in this thread. -_-

Anyway, I recently started playing it again after having dropped it a few months after release to make room for other games. I find it a lot more engaging than the likes of Torchlight II or even Diablo II, and it's great fun for when I just want something really gameplay-focused to bash through enemies while I'm watching something else.

Mar 30, 2010
MisterColeman said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Err, just no.

Came here to say the same thing. The info-graphic is just marketing "See! We are still popular! Come play! You are missing out! Lots of other people still play :D" I blame the title of the article.
I blame video games.

Diablo III, to be precise. :)

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
All lies, I borrowed my brother's bnet account to play it, I went completely under their radar!

The cinematic cutscenes were nice.

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
To be fair, Blizzard says nothing about their current daily users and is just giving fun facts about their game out. If I were to stumble upon this infographic without this article I would not have assumed that they were attempting to mislead anyone. I honestly think Blizzard will be just as mystified as everyone else that understands basic math(or had their cup of coffee this morning) and sees article like this pop up claiming that daily averages on Diablo 3 are still high. Blzizard is making no such claim.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Karoshi said:
Look, I understand that you disliked the game, but why on earth do people still need to twist and turn the numbers to fit your perception, that the game failed? You hated it, but it's still wildly popular and a fun game. Not by your standards, but hey.

14.5 millions sold copies, average 2.1 millions log ons per day... Even if you say that one third of buyers are botters, the other third thrashed their game after the first week and the last third consists of crazed fanboys... it's still impressive.

ASnogarD said:
I read that chart as:

Wiped sessions progress? Do you mean checkpoints, gear or downed bosses? Because while one might have to restart levels, gear and bosses are always tracked and it's impossible to lose them due to lost server connection.
It's because Blizzard twisted and turned the numbers to make things look better than they actually are. That 2.1 million is the average /since launch/, which is pretty meaningless to the current state of the game, since it includes the boom in players the game got on the initial release.

AwesomeDave

Feb 10, 2011
even if 2.1M ppl still play, out of 14M that's around
Karoshi said:

ASnogarD said:
I read that chart as:

sorry man, but in my opinion, if more than 80% of your players stop playing within the first year, that's not impressive at all.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
God damn that's a lot of numbers.

Though these sorts of stats always surprise me at how few people actually finish games.
That's what jumped out at me too. Only a third of all these players actually finished the game on normal? Yoinks.