Hands-On: Ryse: Son of Rome Is Xbox One Combat Devolved

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Hands-On: Ryse: Son of Rome Is Xbox One Combat Devolved

Ryse looks pretty, but the combat isn?t anything you haven?t played before.

Read Full Article

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
This would be so much better without the PRESS A TO KILL BAD GUY prompt. This game is almost a parody of how prevalent QTEs have become in gaming.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Hey, it's Saving Privitius Ryanomus!

I don't see much in the way of gameplay and the tech jump is less than Xbox to 360.

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
This could have been a great game - it still looks very good graphically and I love the setting, but the gameplay looks like complete crap. I wasn't even sure where it was set - I was under the impression that it was in Dover, but you say Germanic enemies, so I guess it must be Dover having been taken by Saxon raiders or something and then the Romans are for some reason trying to launch D-day against the British Isles.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
The game looked visually impressive, and I enjoyed the art style and general feel of the game. The ability to use formations and command troops is a unique aspect, and hope that it is applied well throughout the game instead of being used once or twice.
However, I feel that having to quick time event every single enemy is a bit extraneous, as I think I saw the same animation twice, and, as this is just a trailer, imagine an entire game with the same animations.
Although I may not be buying an XboxOne, I hope they do well with the game, and wish them good luck.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's surprising how much of the game is dulled or concealed by shadow. Aside from some of the pretty particle effects in the air, you would think the creators didn't have much faith in the graphics engine.

...But this is Crytek, so that can't be the case, right?

...Unless they're really straining to tie pieces of unfinished 360 game together into something they can offer for the XBox One launch. Which would be kind of sad and unfortunate.

Other than that, yeah, very "beachhead at Normandy" in affect. And I'll second the idea that turning this into something more like a Roman-skinned Dynasty Warriors instead of a chance to show off what the Kinect could actually contribute to gameplay was a missed opportunity.

It doesn't look like a bad game, but it's hard to imagine anyone buying the XBox One solely in anticipation of getting their hands on this.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
THE_MUFFIN_MAN15 said:
If this is the decline of Rome then I'm pretty sure that those Roman uniforms are historically inaccurate
And since when did the Germanic tribes build... multi-layered stone fortresses?

Was that a trebuchet in that tower? Why did every single legionnaire look copy pasted? Why were the shields so small? Why would they engage archers with pila? Where were they keeping them? Why would they all spread out immediately after disembarking when their army was designed to fight in formation (some general you turned out to be!)?

Gears of Rome... could have been so much better than that QTE mess.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Abomination said:
THE_MUFFIN_MAN15 said:
If this is the decline of Rome then I'm pretty sure that those Roman uniforms are historically inaccurate

Was that a trebuchet in that tower? Why did every single legionnaire look copy pasted? Why were the shields so small? Why would they engage archers with pila? Where were they keeping them? Why would they all spread out immediately after disembarking when their army was designed to fight in formation (some general you turned out to be!)?

Not to mention the gladius: well known for its use as a slashing sword. Or the horrible voice over at the beginning... my god. Yes, Rome was definitely known for its freedom...

Also why is Ryse misspelled?

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
i find it hilariously fitting that a launch title for the xbone is about a bloated empire that brought about its own end.

80sboy

May 23, 2013
Frotality said:
i find it hilariously fitting that a launch title for the xbone is about a bloated empire that brought about its own end.
Good one...I enjoyed that!

Lots and lots of chocolate cookies for you.

^.^

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Dimitriov said:
Abomination said:
THE_MUFFIN_MAN15 said:

Not to mention the gladius: well known for its use as a slashing sword. Or the horrible voice over at the beginning... my god. Yes, Rome was definitely known for its freedom...

Also why is Ryse misspelled?
Hell if I know, but it sure keeps reminding me of League of Legends.

Honestly, this whole thing almost seems a caricature - they've certainly managed to hit every single cliche they could think of, right down to the Saving Private Ryan shout-out on the beach.

Also: those QTE slowmotion moments really are godawful. It breaks flow, forcibly reminds you that there's a controller between your will and the game, nags you to consciously think about what button to press, and generally cheapens any sense of achievement you might've had about a kill.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Looks like it would have made a pretty cool action movie...

Guess that'd explain the XBone exclusivity. The perfect platform for game designers that secretly wanted to be movie directors.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I actually quite liked the video... ..till the gameplay started.

I'm not the only one whom on screen quicktime button prompts break's immersion for am I?

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
"Helpful hints popped up to let me know an achievement was possible if I pushed a guy off a battlement for an environmental kill, and there will be hundreds of such tips on your second screen if you so desire"

Is this what passes for a game now? A set of instructions on getting more internet penis points?