12 Games That Defined Their Genres

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Actually there were games where you couldn't see your opponent before the computer did it. They were called fog of war games, you had 2 boards with one side set up on both of them. You need a GM to tell you when and what you saw of the enemy.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I think you missed the Sim City/Settlers/Caesar/Populous type, real-time "build and expand" games.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Ultima was always fun. The only annoying part was having to buy food all the time.

Still, when the first real game in the series, which had the typical medieval setting, makes you rescue a princess after becoming a Space Ace by shooting tie-fighters in order to find a time machine to kill an evil wizard... Ah.

So much of that game was nuts because of the end game parts, but worth every second of playtime.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
I think you missed the Sim City/Settlers/Caesar/Populous type, real-time "build and expand" games.
Just a derivative of the Four-X style of game, no?

morbidpixie

Nov 9, 2009
Ahem... Wolfenstein 3D did it. Not Doom. Doom had the multiplayer, so you could say it was the start of FPS Multiplayer. But Wolfenstein 3D was the "put you inside a person's head".

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
morbidpixie said:
Ahem... Wolfenstein 3D did it. Not Doom. Doom had the multiplayer, so you could say it was the start of FPS Multiplayer. But Wolfenstein 3D was the "put you inside a person's head".
We're differentiating from the first true one and the one that *defined* the genre. It's why we chose, say, Street Fighter 2 over Street fighter.

MintyNinja

Sep 17, 2009
I was honestly expecting Grand Theft Auto to be on this list. Don't know what to think now that it's not there. meh.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Nazrel said:
Actually there were games where you couldn't see your opponent before the computer did it. They were called fog of war games, you had 2 boards with one side set up on both of them. You need a GM to tell you when and what you saw of the enemy.
For a well-known example, Battleship probably qualifies, no?

DeadlyYellow said:
Tiamat666 said:
Just a derivative of the Four-X style of game, no?
Heck no. They aren't even related to RTS games, most of the time - they're closer to the "Tycoon" genre than anything else.

A couple of other genres might need defining: The scrolling shooter, the MMO (as differentiated from the RPG), the JRPG (which I see as completely different in design from Western RPGs), and the Action-Adventure game. (Which has become a pretty standard, unique, and easily-identified game type, despite being an amalgam of multiple other genres)

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
John Funk said:
morbidpixie said:
We're differentiating from the first true one and the one that *defined* the genre. It's why we chose, say, Street Fighter 2 over Street fighter.
That. Wolfenstein started it, but Doom was the one that really set the standards from then on.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
John Funk said:
morbidpixie said:
On that thought, do we include racing with a sports start, or is this a sampling of genre-definers?

FalseMemorySyndrome

Dec 6, 2010
I agreed with Resident Evil and Alone in the Dark, though I thought including both was simply a way to avoid bickering.

Everything else I didn't really have a opinion about.

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Excellent read! Thanks for putting this together! Really makes me want to fire up my old DOS computer.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
MintyNinja said:
I was honestly expecting Grand Theft Auto to be on this list. Don't know what to think now that it's not there. meh.
We specifically only wanted to highlight specific genres in our genre wheel. While Grand Theft Auto 3 was definitely a game that spawned many imitators, it is a mixture of different genres like driving, brawler, shooter and RPG. Open world or sandbox games aren't a genre but more of a quality that some games have.