12 Games That Defined Their Genres

arealperson

Oct 1, 2009
Cid SilverWing said:
Why isn't this [http://www.nolaglans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/cc-3.gif] here?
[url =http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/misc/8407-12-Games-That-Defined-Their-Genres.7]It[/url] is? You read about Dune 2 ("Dune: Battle for Araksis"; the Genesis version I'm more familiar with -- and yes it played great on a console) right?

Nice that the Escapist brought up Herzog Zwei in your list, I heard about that recently on CGR [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3EaIIY_gkw] and was quite delighted that it was brought up. Agree with other comments about the Guitar Hero thing... if you acknowledge Pong cabinets, DDR arcade is an extremely popular game in arcades that give it reason enough to define the genre. I see Guitar Hero almost as a separate 'Music' genre outside of "rhythm", of which Rockband 3 should define (yeah I'm a bit of a hater of fake instruments). Ditto about driving games, flight sims, shmups (Invaders, anyone?), and I really think there should be a mention for "open world" type games (LoZ, Metroid, Megaman Legends). Can't go wrong with 3D platformers either (Tomb Raider). Some other sims and "definers" are missing, but I appreciate that this was and would be quite the undertaking.

Well done overall, as it doesn't make itself out to be some sort of be all and end all, so props. As for the genre wheel that inspired this... not all over that.

moose_man

Nov 9, 2009
I think FF1 defined COMPUTER/VIDEO GAME RPGs better than Ultima. Ultima was more like D&D, yes, but though it's its jumping-off point, VGRPGs are quite different, IMO. FF1 is THE VGRPG for me.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
some of the greats from my gaming youth there and to be frank some of those games i still play today, in particular: Dune II and UFO Enemy unknown. Truly sweet games.

Operations

Mar 11, 2009
DiePingu said:
albino boo said:
I expected Elite to be in there. It was the first sandbox 3d space fighter/trader sim. Ok these days its a niche market but Eve is just elite online.
This is pretty much my first thought, space shooters = Elite. The fact that it is a nice market these days seems to be more about the gaming industry suffering from one of its periodic myopia phases with regard to anything which is not in their 'current market'.
Yeah im with you guys, was supprised it wasnt in there somewhere.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
X:COM UFO DEFENSE was the best game for me back then man I love that game. And I still do, thanks steam for having it available. I just hope the remake doesn't suck.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Some major genres were completely ignored in the article.

Action Adventure for example is almost as big as Shooters nowadays. This year alone we got Bayonetta, Darksiders, God of War3, Dante's Inferno, Castlevania and Enslaved, just from the top of my head. Genre defining game would have to be either Devil May Cry or God of War.

Driving and rhythm are other major genres ignored.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
haunted house on the atari 2600 predates sweet home as the original surrival horror game

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
The defining RPGs are Wizardry, Diablo and Neverwinter Nights in my opinion. Know those and you can understand most of the genre.

Command & Conquer was more of a defining RTS than Dune 2. Playing Dune 2 was a bit clunky and you saw possibilities for what they could do with it when playing it but C&C was the first proper genre game where the puzzle was complete.

As for UFO being the defining TBS, it is the defining 4X/Squad Tactics game but that isn't a big genre. I would say that Laser Squad is the defining Squad Tactics game and that Civ (what else) is the defining 4x. For defining TBS I would say, maybe, Panzer General.

kiwi3000

Sep 15, 2009
Agreed X Com was a truly fantastic game. They really really nailed it.
Also I played so much Wing Commander growing up, that the little red targeting boxes were burnt on to my retina, and were still visible when my eyes were closed.

sibrenfetter

Oct 26, 2009
Pipotchi said:
Jeez I played nearly all these games, I feel old right about now.

I miss X-Com its one of the few games on this list that genuinely hasnt been bettered.
I was just about to post exactly the same thing :), me is feeling old and feeble. I guess I'll go outside and yell at some kids to get off the lawn.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
DeadlyYellow said:
Tiamat666 said:
I think you missed the Sim City/Settlers/Caesar/Populous type, real-time "build and expand" games.
Just a derivative of the Four-X style of game, no?
Not entirely. There is no overt conflict in Sim City; as long as you don't expand too quickly, the city is never in any real danger. It's more like half of a 4X game.

Though I'm saddened to not see Master of Orion on that list, I can see why: Civilization bumped it off for brevity's sake, and it's questionable which one contributed more to the genre at the time of release. Granted, we remember Civilization more clearly than Master of Orion, since MOO crashed and burned on the terribly disappointing, unfinished third game (which in itself had a cluster of good ideas; just no cohesion to hold it all together).
For the sake of journalism and reader-recognition, Civilization was the better choice, and it isn't undeserving either.

But holy crap was MOO1 years ahead of its time.

It has (STILL) one of the most savvy AIs in gaming to date. It thinks more strategically than most AIs in the entire genre, which tend to form a secret alliance against the player or slave themselves to other diplomatic shenanigans, making them very easy to manipulate.

(Civilization 3 is especially guilty of this; whose AI would march game-winning Death Armies across the world to attack an undefended city of no real strategic value, or let them get slaved to daisy-chain tech brokering that could actually make the hardest difficulty easier than normal since the AI could inadvertently do all the heavy lifting for the player in researching new tech)

MOO1's AI is ruthless, conniving and scariest of all, it calls bluffs (actually, I've had it make bluffs too in the form of bribes and vague threats). It calculates its odds of winning in advance and sends fleets off decisively, rather than just pissing away its resources in endless brush wars. Its "Cold War" can be every bit as brutal as "Hot war".

Sirian did an excellent series in explaining MOO1, but the website has long since fallen into obscurity; only partially retained via The Wayback Machine. MOO2 was an excellent sequel that popularized the combat, but the raw strategic elements (rather than the micromanagement that would later plague the genre) were best done in MOO1.

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
CAPTCHA said:
morbidpixie said:
Ahem... Wolfenstein 3D did it. Not Doom. Doom had the multiplayer, so you could say it was the start of FPS Multiplayer. But Wolfenstein 3D was the "put you inside a person's head".
Common misconception. ID's 'Catacomb 3D' came first.

Mookalakai said:
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the first third person shooter game was? Or at least the genre definer.
'Tomb Raider' perhaps.
I would vote for "Crusader: No Remorse"