12 seconds: Rewind Time or A Different World?

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
So you get a mysterious letter saying to go on some really tall building. Once there someone hands you a weird little trinket, tells you that you can either choose to rewind time to a specific point in your life with no memory loss or transport yourself to a different world but with no chance of return. And then they push you off. You have about 12 seconds to make a choice before you splatter on the ground below.

Callie

Aug 22, 2012
I wouldn't need 12 seconds. I would choose the different world. What would I do with going back in time for myself? This world is so mundane, imagine what other worlds there could be out there. Good or bad, it would still be very interesting to see, whereas going back in time, I would just try and fix my regrets, but I don't as yet, have many regrets, just learning curves.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Callie said:
I wouldn't need 12 seconds. I would choose the different world. What would I do with going back in time for myself? This world is so mundane, imagine what other worlds there could be out there.

...and then you land in a land [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus#Atmosphere_and_climate] of lava, airborne sulphuric acid, 190mph winds, and think 'fuck' for about 3 seconds before succumbing.
Yes I'm being pessimistic, but the 'genie' or 'mysterious stranger' is always a dick in these scenarios.

OT: I'd probably go back in time, but not very far, and not change anything that significant.

Callie

Aug 22, 2012
OneCatch said:
Callie said:

...and then you land in a land [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus#Atmosphere_and_climate] of lava, airborne sulphuric acid, 190mph winds, and think 'fuck' for about 3 seconds before succumbing.
Yes I'm being pessimistic, but the 'genie' or 'mysterious stranger' is always a dick in these scenarios.

OT: I'd probably go back in time, but not very far, and not change anything that significant.
I can't help but think you aren't utilizing the opportunity in front of you. At least if I was to die in the new world, then I would have achieved something great from it. You have the chance to do something that no one else has been able to do, and you are kind of going 'nahh, i'll just stick with my day job thx' :(

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Callie said:
OneCatch said:
Callie said:

I can't help but think you aren't utilizing the opportunity in front of you. At least if I was to die in the new world, then I would have achieved something great from it. You have the chance to do something that no one else has been able to do, and you are kind of going 'nahh, i'll just stick with my day job thx' :(
I was kind of joking, but imo it's better to live with our our massively indolent, luxurious, and privileged 'day jobs' than to die in agony with cauterised lungs. And it's the guy on the building who's achieved transportation to the new world - you're just Laika.

But that's just me being a cynical old sod :p

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Rewind time due since I able to pick my past of my choosing (or does thinking of my past will occur when I'm falling only?) since the different world is too unknown/ random. Picking a different world may result of my being killed or died due to hazard enviourment and no one will ever known where I had went.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Hell yeah id go to my past. Id go back to the start of highschool, never get fat in the first place because I know how to eat right now, so that I never have to deal with this loose skin and stretch marks I have now after losing 40kgs, do more sports and lift weights when I get to the right age for weights and be a fabulous specimen of a man by the time Im my age and get dates with all the girls who wouldnt go near me in highschool.

Who knows, I might even do my homework this time!

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I would rewind time 20s and push the dickhead off the building...that assault was completely unwarranted and I didn't want to pick either of the choices given.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Odds are, the world you end up on would be deadly to humans.

If not, is it inhabited? Are you going to be all alone in some alien wilderness? Cause then you'd die fairly soon anyway.

If it is, well, then you've got to deal with the local aliens...being dumped into an alien civilisation really might not be fun.

Now, if you could find out more about this world, if there is an alien civilisation there and you'd get superpowers from their sun and be considered very attractive and not at all frightening...maybe.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I'd go back in time . I know exactly where i fucked up . Plus wtf am i going to do in another world . Maybe if you said alternate earth i would have said yes .

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
A different world without a doubt. A chance to end up in some badass world outweighs the chance of ending up in a bad world. Plus my life is rather plain, so why not switch it up?

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Time travel back to about age 6. In another world i'd be tossing everything I've ever worked towards away just for the slight chance I might end up someplace better

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Rewind time. No question.

Period:Beginning of Freshman year of college.

No better place for my memory to remain in tact for. I'd remember the mistakes I made and be better. So much better.

Alternatives: Freshman year of high school or 7th grade in middle school.

Both of those are good too.

Not sure which of those I'd do at the time but either way, I'm going back and fixing. One more shot. How could I not take it?

Basically, I'd rather do the known--going to and changing my past--instead of the unknown.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Different world easily. Getting away from all the shit and vermin on earth would be worth more than traveling back in time. I just hope it's a better world, but it shouldn't be that hard.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I'd choose back in time.

Probably go back to when I was a kid, change some choices I made and such. Whilst trying to maintain the things that have went well.

Another world, whilst the prospect is quite enticing, the fact remains, I'd have left behind my friends and loved ones, for a chance that I enter a world that doesn't suck.

I mean, considering our solar system alone has a large percentage of worlds that don't actually have a liveable atmosphere... The chances of ending up in a new world that 1) Can support human life (Atmosphere, Water, Food, climate, lack of predators etc) and 2) Would actually have intelligent life on that doesn't want to kill you is pretty bloody slim.

Especially since I know my past and exactly what I can do to improve it (Heck, going through school when knowing everything about it would be even more of a breeze that it was at the time)

Plasticaprinae

Jul 9, 2013
First I would freak out, think first that other world would be nice. Its romantic and rings nice feelings. But I would hesitate cause I have a life partner I just cant leave behind. So time travel. Just a few moments back.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Rewind time, going to another world sounds way too suspicious especially from a mysterious stranger who has those powers. Now as to how far I would go back? Probably to my junior year of high school. I would hate to have to lose all my weight again, but I could start about a year earlier, get better grades, meet up with the great friends I would make in senior year again.

Now I would be more willing to go to the other world if I got a good description, or got to see it first. It would either be very interesting, or a nightmare landscape.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Odds are, the world you end up on would be deadly to humans.

If not, is it inhabited? Are you going to be all alone in some alien wilderness? Cause then you'd die fairly soon anyway.

If it is, well, then you've got to deal with the local aliens...being dumped into an alien civilisation really might not be fun.

Now, if you could find out more about this world, if there is an alien civilisation there and you'd get superpowers from their sun and be considered very attractive and not at all frightening...maybe.
I think i may have worded it wrong, but you do have a choice of what world you go to ><