Call of Duty: Ghosts Preorders Coming Slower Than Usual

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Call of Duty: Ghosts Preorders Coming Slower Than Usual

Activision says slow preorder rates for Call of Duty: Ghosts is to be expected during a "console transition year."

We all know that Call of Duty: Ghosts is going to be one of the biggest - probably the biggest - game of the year, even though it won't be out until November. In an earnings call yesterday, however, Activision Publishing chief Eric Hirshberg admitted that preorders for the game are actually down compared to last year's Black Ops 2 - but he also claimed that it's not really a surprise

"As one might expect in this console transition year, pre-orders for Call of Duty: Ghosts are well below the record-setting pace set by Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 last year," he said. "However, our quantitative consumer research indicates that hesitation amongst past club pre-orders is primarily due to not knowing which platform they will be playing on, which is natural at this time in the console transition."

People aren't sick of Call of Duty, in other words, they're just not completely sold on the next generation of consoles - and who's going to preorder a game without a commitment to a platform? Not that we need to shed too many tears for a crumbling franchise anyway, as Hirshberg said that other "key engagement metrics," including daily and monthly players, DLC sales and video views, "are all significantly ahead of past years."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-02-activision-blames-low-call-of-duty-ghosts-pre-orders-on-next-gen-hesitation]

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Is this the company that thought they were getting good buzz about the dog? We may be also seeing consumers getting tired of the 'modern warfare' setting.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
This is the first corporate BS line that I actually don't think is BS actually, which is surprisin considerin usually that stuffs a load of crap.

I mean, it probably is partially a load of crap, but there's enough truth there that the need to twist it probably isn't as bad as say...Microsoft tryin to get people to believe that there's a ton of positive hype for the XBOX ONE.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Nah, it's cause they used the wrong model for the dog. It should have been a Corgi.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Nah, it's cause they used the wrong model for the dog. It should have been a Corgi.
I'd have been sold solid if they'd gone with the Corgi (inb4 it's DLC based)

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Oh dear, the game isn't going to make them 1 billion dollars on it's launch day, something definitely be wrong. Let's quickly blame the consumers or the console transition instead of (that I hope at least) people are getting tired of the same shit and might want something different. I wish it was that, but it isn't... it'll still make over a billion dollars, and continue to promote that brain dead gaming is the wave of the future.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I think COD is finally starting to slow down. You can only milk a cow for so long before it shrivels up.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
False, Dachshund is the only correct answer.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I'd make a joke about advanced fish A.I but they pretty much made that joke themselves in the reveal.

I'd like to say that CoD is crumbling but it isn't. Let's face it, it's going to stick around for years to come.
But I'll keep that flame of hope alive. Call of Duty has been an absolute cancer on the entire FPS market.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
erttheking said:
I think COD is finally starting to slow down. You can only milk a cow for so long before it shrivels up.
Remember the old cow Activision had milked? What was it, oh right the Tony Hawk series.

OT: While I can believe this is the case, isn't Ghost also coming out on the 360 and PS3? I think it's more that people are starting to get tired of CoD and want something new.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
erttheking said:
Its slowin down, but I assume its goin the way of WoW. Slow bleed-off that wont really make that big of a difference to the bottom line for quite a long time.

It'll be quite a while before the CoD well dries up completely.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
COD will stay big as long as nobody else beats it at what it's best at, which is well built multiplayer shooting with the ability to go splitscreen with four players on the same console. There's a reason the adjective applied to "Call of Duty clone" will usually be negative.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I wanted Cujo, thatwould have been hilarious, who dies next, the enemy or...
The last three years CoD's sales have been at a bit of Plateau, they've been big, but not the huge growth between CoD2-4 and then again from MW2 to BlOps. It's overdue for a slide, especially with things like Battlefield 4, Day Z and Titanfall swallowing all the hype.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
I thought with all the warm weather some dogging action would be popular

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
erttheking said:
You're free to think it, but there's no real evidence for it and the fact is, the next generation of consoles is quite divisive. I'm not one for corporate lines, but this is kind of true.

icythepenguin

Jun 5, 2012
Maybe some people are confusing it as a Ghost Recon style game rather than a traditional COD game? Also aren't the Ghosts as a military unit property of Tom Clancy or is there actually a US military unit called Ghosts?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Isn't it launching on Day One with Battlefield 4 as well? I have a friend who prefers Battlefield over CoD, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was bleeding some of their sells, too. You would think that two modern FPS games would hurt each other in sells. Then, there's Killzone, too.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Well I am not really surprised preorders are down, maybe some people are tired of playing the same thing over and over..