Call of Duty: Ghosts Preorders Coming Slower Than Usual

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
ITT: People who only read the title. Not counting the dogs.

People aren't sick of Call of Duty, in other words, they're just not completely sold on the next generation of consoles.
The key sentence. It's a next gen game, the consoles aren't even out yet, of course they won't be flocking to preorder games this early.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Saltyk said:
Isn't it launching on Day One with Battlefield 4 as well? I have a friend who prefers Battlefield over CoD, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was bleeding some of their sells, too. You would think that two modern FPS games would hurt each other in sells. Then, there's Killzone, too.
Not to burst your bubble, but I doubt killzone is doing anything at all to call of duty's sales. MW2 alone sold more units than the entire killzone franchise.

OT: Although I would love to see Call of duty knocked from its post, next gen transition is probably the truth in this situation. Perhaps next year.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Saucycarpdog said:
Saltyk said:
Isn't it launching on Day One with Battlefield 4 as well? I have a friend who prefers Battlefield over CoD, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was bleeding some of their sells, too. You would think that two modern FPS games would hurt each other in sells. Then, there's Killzone, too.
Not to burst your bubble, but I doubt killzone is doing anything at all to call of duty's sales. MW2 alone sold more units than the entire killzone franchise.

OT: Although I would love to see Call of duty knocked from its post, next gen transition is probably the truth in this situation. Perhaps next year.
*looks around*

Don't worry, bub. My bubble is suitably safe. I dare say it is completely fine. I couldn't care less about any of the games I mentioned. Just making an observation. I'll only even be considering Battlefield 4 to play it with a buddy of mine.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Thank god for that. Maybe people are FINALLY stop buying this en masse, so CoD can just slink off to it's little racist fratboy bro-dude Xbone buying caveman enclave.

shadowuser10141

Jun 15, 2013
idarkphoenixi said:
I'd make a joke about advanced fish A.I but they pretty much made that joke themselves in the reveal.

I'd like to say that CoD is crumbling but it isn't. Let's face it, it's going to stick around for years to come.
But I'll keep that flame of hope alive. Call of Duty has been an absolute cancer on the entire FPS market.
If you don't like a game don't play it. It's that simple.

Why is everyone on the internet like "I don't like it so it should die in a fire"?
Very narrow minded and self entitled. Everybody has their own tastes and you might like something that other people dislike.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'd buy the hell out of that game if it had a Corgi dog instead of what they have now (*sarcasm*).

With that said, how come they are not surprised? I think it's about time people would stop buying the same rehashed game over and over.

I have seen footage of the game that they've showed at the conventions and it looks the same only shiner. Whoever said it's a new engine is lying through their teeth.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Kalezian said:
Asclepion said:
Ghonzor said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Nah, it's cause they used the wrong model for the dog. It should have been a Corgi.
False, Dachshund is the only correct answer.
Battle Pug.

Battle Puggle.

Puggles are best dog.
You are all mistaken. The Chow is the only correct answer, here.

If nothing else, it would give next-gen developers a chance to gush more about all their 'realistic hair physics'.

OT: This actually seems legit, as much as I'd like to hope people are getting tired of realistic military shooters.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Maybe if they stopped releasing a game every single year they wouldn't be seeing declining sales after each new installment.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
idarkphoenixi said:
I'd make a joke about advanced fish A.I but they pretty much made that joke themselves in the reveal.

I'd like to say that CoD is crumbling but it isn't. Let's face it, it's going to stick around for years to come.
But I'll keep that flame of hope alive. Call of Duty has been an absolute cancer on the entire FPS market.
Call of Duty never ruined gaming or the shooter experience.

It was the all the other studios that wanted a CoD clone that ruined the gaming experience and shooters in general.

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
The biggest game of the year? In terms of sales, or what?

rob_simple said:
Kalezian said:
Asclepion said:
Ghonzor said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Nah, it's cause they used the wrong model for the dog. It should have been a Corgi.
Battle Pug.

Battle Puggle.

Puggles are best dog.

If nothing else, it would give next-gen developers a chance to gush more about all their 'realistic hair physics'.

OT: This actually seems legit, as much as I'd like to hope people are getting tired of realistic military shooters.
Shih Tzu.

The enemy will never see it coming.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Quantum Glass said:
The biggest game of the year? In terms of sales, or what?

rob_simple said:
Kalezian said:
Asclepion said:
Ghonzor said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Battle Pug.

Battle Puggle.

Puggles are best dog.

Shih Tzu.

The enemy will never see it coming.
We all know the only dog you could bring to war is the Chinese Crested

Specifically this Chinese Crested

War is ugly.

OT: All fun aside, I hope this is the beginning of the crash on the Modern Military Shooter.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
With the 180 and PS4 not having backwards compatibility, he does have a point.
Some people probably aren't sure if they will buy the consoles on release, but they don't want to buy it on the old console right now. If they buy it for the PS360, they would have to rebuy it on the PS4 or 180 if they buy the console and want to play on it.

So they aren't preordering it just jet.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I remember reading an article where they already predicted that exactly this would happen. Nobody should be surprised by this; we've got a few more years of CoD ahead of us.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Dragonbums said:
Maybe if they stopped releasing a game every single year they wouldn't be seeing declining sales after each new installment.
Uh... except they haven't been.

Each CoD game since CoD4:MW has sold more than the one before it.

Annual releases have worked out just fine for them thus far.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Phlakes said:
ITT: People who only read the title. Not counting the dogs.

People aren't sick of Call of Duty, in other words, they're just not completely sold on the next generation of consoles.
The key sentence. It's a next gen game, the consoles aren't even out yet, of course they won't be flocking to preorder games this early.
It's a next gen game, but it's also coming out on PS360PC as well. I'm sure there's a lot of people who don't want to get the version for the system they have, get a X180 or PS4 down the line, and have to buy the game again to have it on that. Therefore low pre-orders (by their standards, I'm sure).

shadowuser10141 said:
idarkphoenixi said:

If you don't like a game don't play it. It's that simple.

Why is everyone on the internet like "I don't like it so it should die in a fire"?
Very narrow minded and self entitled. Everybody has their own tastes and you might like something that other people dislike.
I don't remember sentiments like that being so common until every other franchise's publisher started talking about "chasing the elusive COD market". It's fair for many to assume that COD's existence and popularity broke Dead Rising, Dead Space, and many other titles that had no business attempting to emulate what COD does. Also, as everyone knows, it's stupid to try and appeal to COD fans because they're already playing COD.

I've played the campaigns for 1-BL2, because I like shooting dudes from a first person perspective without having to find keys or get lost sometimes. However, it hasn't been a white knuckle, excellent test of your surround sound speakers with passable writing since MW1. I'm not getting Ghosts until it's all kinds of cheap, I'm far more interested in what Treyarch does with the series.

That said, this whole thing will pass eventually. Activision killed Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero by doing this, and they're losing WoW subscribers. It will continue until they aren't losing money hand over first, or someone shows up to bust their bubble (a la Skate compared to Tony Hawk).

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
erttheking said:
I think COD is finally starting to slow down. You can only milk a cow for so long before it shrivels up.
Unfortunately, even a shrivelled, dried up old cow can still be butchered for meat. And if it's a big enough cow, that's a LOT of meat.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Glaice said:
Well I am not really surprised preorders are down, maybe some people are tired of playing the same thing over and over..
For this generation of consoles, I have enough COD thanks. I haven't even finished Blops2 single player campaign. And if/when this comes out for Gen 8, I want to see Gen 8 in action, probably for at least 6 months before I get one.

I'm interested in more COD for Gen 8, but only after I see it, know there's no RROD type problems, and them maybe buy one.