Free Radicals

Jan 12, 2012
I think that a lot of people have a shallow understanding of radical feminism (there's something called the patriarchy, and it's about men oppressing women)and they object to the idea that men are consciously trying to oppress women.

But what do I know? In my mind, everyone described as radical looks like this.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Heh, I'm not gonna lie, that was pretty funny.

You do know that this thread is going to explode now though, right?

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
erttheking said:

*grabs popcorn*

OT: Pretty funny. Reminds me of a lot of people I know from uni.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
erttheking said:

Better get them flameshields up and the sausages ready, this is gonna be good.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I think that a lot of people have a shallow understanding of radical feminism (there's something called the patriarchy, and it's about men oppressing women)and they object to the idea that men are consciously trying to oppress women.

Now that was awesome. xD

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
So is The Escapist just going "hey guys we need more traffic, make stuff that's guaranteed to create arguments" to their content creators now?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Does it really make a difference if you know what the person is talking about? Whather they call them radical or extreme, you know what they mean by the context in which it is used.

Dec 14, 2009
inb4 the radical feminists come to take our penises away.

Smokey bacon crisps also have free radicals, but they're more carcinogenic than they are politically minded.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Erin and Poochie the dog, separated at birth CONFIRMED.

I want to say that there's no way something like this'll get derailed into a rampant feminism thread - but I just don't know any more with this site. Can we please take this one in humour? Please?

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Okay, I am curious. Enlighten me what a radical feminist is. I'll admit I do tend to associate them as females who associate their exploitation with men, with the declaration that it's something built into men to do. This is in contrast to liberal feminists and Marxist feminists. I don't tend to associate the "radical" part with extreme or edgy, just the full label to what I've learnt about them. Things like political lesbianism. If you want a comparison to what I tend to associate radical feminism with, this quote by Ann Oakley is a good representation: "Men are the enemies of women. Promising sublime intimacy, unequalled passion, amazing security and grace, they nevertheless exploit and injure in a myriad subtle ways. Without men the world would be a better place: softer, kinder, more loving; calmer, quieter, more humane. "

The knowledge you have is the liquid, and I am the sponge.

hazabaza1 said:
So is The Escapist just going "hey guys we need more traffic, make stuff that's guaranteed to create arguments" to their content creators now?
You're a few months late. They started doing that with "OH, I HEARD THIS SHERRIFF SAID VIDYA GAYMS ARE LINKED TO VIOLENCE, UH, NEWS WORTHY!". Currently now there's a nice big chunky news story about a kid who shot his grandmother being linked to GTA IV. Naturally, everyone is losing their shit, The Escapist is making a lot of money from ad-revenue and the staff is learning a lot from what Fox News does.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
inb4 the radical feminists come to take our penises away.
Well, we have to sacrifice SOMETHING to Shub-Niggurath, The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young, and we have been running short on aborted fetuses lately...

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I don't really see how anyone could be offended by this comic...

I mean it is just a male writer using a strawman argument to make a spurious issue out of said strawman's semantic error of mixing up 2 definitions rooted in the same issue, and wheeling out a reference to a dated colloquial term that will register a humour response out of the demographic of readers, with a punchline so disconnected from the set-up as to make you wonder why he picked that paticular issue at all. Except of course, knowing hot button topics generate views...

Neeeeooooooo way anyone will get upset about this comic, no sir.

madhousezack

May 9, 2011
Teoes said:
Erin and Poochie the dog, separated at birth CONFIRMED.

I want to say that there's no way something like this'll get derailed into a rampant feminism thread - but I just don't know any more with this site. Can we please take this one in humour? Please?
Erin should be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Yeah, this comic was pretty entertaining but it doesn't make any sense. Why can't "radical" mean "extreme" in "this context?" I mean, I'm not one of those people that think there's a plague of radical feminists out to take over the world, but I don't see any problem with the semantics.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:

I'd say the patriarchy is much more of a subconscious thing.

I agree that link is totes radical.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
It's easier to blame the "patriarchy", than to blame ourselves.
We like to think there is a shady council, with sinister looking men of power, secretly pulling the strings of the world and making all the bad things happen.
We do it al the time. We do it with Sexism, and we do it with Feminism.
It makes us feel comfortable, because we convince ourself that it's not our fault everything sucks.
That there is someone to blame.
But in reality, each of us is just one drop in an ocean of bad things, and all we can do is try to do our best.