"Write Or Die" Application Punishes Lazy Authors

Feb 13, 2008
"Write Or Die" Application Punishes Lazy Authors

Need to get that homework done for school? How about another TPS report? Put "Write Or Die" on the case and you will write it, or suffer the consequences.

Dr. Wicked [http://www.drwicked.com/] realizes that like donkeys, most writers either need a carrot or a stick to keep going. Whilst the carrot can be a tasty pizza left just out of range, some would-be authors only respond to a good whack from the stick. That's where the "Write Or Die" [http://lab.drwicked.com/writeordie.html] application comes in.

After setting the web application up, you just start writing. If you goof off, start reading webcomics or chatting in IRC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/chat/], it starts playing really nasty music at you. Start typing again and it stops. Ignore the obnoxious tunes long enough, and the volume will slowly start to increase.

If that's still not enough to get your fingers back on the keys, Write or Die then begins to delete what you've written so far. Tough love, baby, tough love.

The application isn't completely unfair, however, and recognizes that you may quite legitimately need to take a bio-break [http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bio+break], and so comes with a pause button. But it only works once.

It's a clever enough idea, but would any of you actually find this to be helpful?

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Goddamn I need this, damn Questionable Content and Xkcd, always distracting me...I wonder, what music is played though?
I'm guessing Chocolate Rain

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
iain62a said:
Wouldukindly said:
Goddamn I need this, damn Questionable Content and Xkcd, always distracting me...I wonder, what music is played though?
I'm guessing Chocolate Rain
Or Aqua's Barbie Girl on an endless loop.

I guess it could be useful, but is torture really needed for writers?

Auron555

Jun 15, 2008
I could use this. Very useful to just get one to sit down and WORK.
Shame the bio button only works once.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
This programm sounds pretty good IMO but I wonder what type of music it plays.

But is there some kind of timer until that "deletes everything" programm starts?

Edit: Oh and I could actually never use this programm because I have to think in between typing so it would delete my source code/or play music because I have to think about what the next "if else" should do.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
I'm something of a writer myself (God that sounded like a bad pick-up line...). I sometimes need to think. That involves not typing. You know, when you don't know in which direction you should take your article or story, and you lean back in your chair and stair at the ceiling, trying to work things out in your head?

If I used this app, I would just end up telling it STFU and let me work: because thinking is work when you are writing. So the short answer to your question: no.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
you know.....human beings have to pee not just once every decade. Unless you are WoW-tastic and recycle your own waste to power your computer. In which case, go right ahead.

Feb 13, 2008
level250geek said:
I'm something of a writer myself (God that sounded like a bad pick-up line...). I sometimes need to think. That involves not typing. You know, when you don't know in which direction you should take your article or story, and you lean back in your chair and stair at the ceiling, trying to work things out in your head?
You can turn it off, but only after your time is up. There's a timer there for that purpose.

Say you wanted to do 500 words in an hour. Whichever limit gets reached first turns the program back into a normal text editor.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
hmm. If it works for Microsoft Visual Studio I'll consider it. I work from home, and I sometimes have problems with... working from home.

LaxLuster

Dec 11, 2008
It just seems like it would up the anxiety of the writer and increase the production of crap writing instead of taking the time to properly think things out. Writers need better motivation than a piece of software can offer.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
It could be worse, I thought it was just some guy who stands behind you with a shotgun and cocks it each time you lag for too one.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I found this a few days ago, I was going to post a topic on it, but didn't think it'd be discussion material.
XD

Oh well.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
LaxLuster said:
It just seems like it would up the anxiety of the writer and increase the production of crap writing instead of taking the time to properly think things out. Writers need better motivation than a piece of software can offer.
Actually, I find that the hardest part of serious writing is putting stuff down on a blank page/screen; partly because the ol' Inner Editor keeps holding back for fear of writing "bad stuff" instead of deathless prose. This, I think, would shut the ol' Inner Editor up long enough to get the idea down.

"Write or Die" would be useful when writing first drafts, I think, where the important part is to get words down on the blank page. They don't have to be perfect in first draft, they just have to contain the necessary ideas. (You work on the "deathless prose" aspect on the final draft.)

That being said, I paid a chunk o' change for Office and dammit that's what I'll use.

-- Steve