"Write Or Die" Application Punishes Lazy Authors

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
I need to show this program to a few people...as they don't have a "Draw or Die" variant for me I guess...

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
Um...no...I like to have an incentive to write, but that's more of a hindrance.
Actually, now that I've thought about it for five more seconds, it could be useful if I were writing something for school. I do tend to goof around online when I should be writing an essay.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Oh damn, could I have some fun with that program.
Agreed. Installed on a friends laptop when I next see him. Also, possibly useful for me (right now i'm percrastinating right now to be on the escapist).

LaxLuster

Dec 11, 2008
I will agree that grinding through the first draft is like willingly turning the crank with your fingers in a meat grinder, but this doesn't seem like the best motivator.

To be honest, if anybody ever DOES find a great motivator for that, send it my way... Best to just keep the eye on the prize and remind yourself that it's just a wordy outline anyway and about 80% of it is going to change in the next draft... unless you're far more awesome than most.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Forcing you to write might cause the quality of the writing to drop though, so I don't think it is a good idea.

Vivvav

Jan 12, 2009
God damn I would hate this thing.
No, the music has to be Madonna. That's torture.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
PirateKing said:
Um...no...I like to have an incentive to write, but that's more of a hindrance.
Actually, now that I've thought about it for five more seconds, it could be useful if I were writing something for school. I do tend to goof around online when I should be writing an essay.
Who doesn't?

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
I'm going to become a computer science teacher just so i can install this on every computer at school.

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
I need the "kick in the ass" to keep going and prevent being distracted, but how am I supposed to turn it off when I finish?

triorph

Aug 5, 2008
This is OLD. I used it for the NaNoWriMo last year (google is your friend) and got a fair bit of writing done with it.

And to all of you people who say its such a negative way to write and you don't want to write crap. That's not how it works, generally the best way to be inspired in writing is to write yourself. Pretty much all of the professional writers do this, and they heavily edit it afterwards to the "good" pieces you see today.

To make things easier though, you should possibly write more than you intend to keep in the actual story, so when you do edit, you don't have to worry about cutting obviously bad bits.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
I have read about old pulp fiction authors like Ray Bradbury who would sit down and bust out stories in thirty minutes a pop. They said that most of the their stories were crap but by training themselves like that, it became easier to write without falling to pain of writer's block.