Majora's Mask Speed Runner Beats Game in an Hour and Half

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Majora's Mask Speed Runner Beats Game in an Hour and Half

Speed runner EnNopp112 has been repeatedly breaking his own Majora's Mask records since the beginning of 2014.

Editor's Note: The original version of this article mistakenly claimed the speed run in question didn't exploit glitches. To clarify, glitches were used. Our apologies for any confusion caused as a result.

Last week, we reported on speed runner Cosmo Wright and his record breaking Ocarina of Time run which saw him beating the game <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132994-Speed-Runner-Beats-Ocarina-of-Time-in-Less-Than-19-Minutes>in less than 19 minutes. Ocarina of Time, of course, wasn't the only Zelda game to grace to call the N64 home. The console also played host to The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask which, much like its predecessor, has speed runners <a href=http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/leaderboards/mm/any>of its own.

Most notable among these, at the moment at least, would be EnNopp112. A native of Sweden, he's recently made a hobby of dominating Majora's Mask, running through the game and beating his own record once every few weeks since the beginning of 2014. His most recent run, for instance, saw him completing the game in 1 hour, 28 minutes and 51 seconds.

The kicker is that his efforts involve no cheats. Granted, he doesn't collect all of the game's masks (doing that took him <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFpPAOlMdh8>5 and a half hours) but, even then, it's a pretty danged impressive feat. Just personally, Majora's Mask took me months to finish. The very idea of someone sitting down and finishing it less than a day even flat out boggles my mind. Take a gander at EnNopp112's latest speed run video and let us know your impressions.

Source: <a href=http://kotaku.com/crazy-fast-zelda-player-keeps-breaking-majoras-mask-wo-1551189114>Kotaku

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
StewShearer said:
The kicker is that his efforts involve no cheats or glitches. Granted, he doesn't collect all of the game's masks (doing that took him <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFpPAOlMdh8>5 and a half hours) but, even then, it's a pretty danged impressive feat.
I've not played Majora's Mask, so even though he's not using cheats or glitches, does skipping masks still qualify it as a legitimate completion?

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Neta said:
StewShearer said:
The kicker is that his efforts involve no cheats or glitches. Granted, he doesn't collect all of the game's masks (doing that took him <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFpPAOlMdh8>5 and a half hours) but, even then, it's a pretty danged impressive feat.
I've not played Majora's Mask, so even though he's not using cheats or glitches, does skipping masks still qualify it as a legitimate completion?
There are different categories. I.e. A 100 percent completion run would mean he collected everything in the game.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Neta said:
You only need 4 masks to beat the final boss, and those are obtained by the bosses of the dungeons. Literally all the other masks are done via side quests to get pieces of hearts, and some of them don't even do anything really. In the end you give all your masks to kids wearing the boss masks around the tree to obtain the final mask of the game, the Fierce Deity, which is broken as hell.

OT: Well I'm impressed at it, but seeing as how the other thread went I expect some people to come and rain on the party. :p

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
So a dude beats an old game really fast, how is that so significant it warrants a news post?

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Neronium said:
Neta said:
You only need 4 masks to beat the final boss, and those are obtained by the bosses of the dungeons. Literally all the other masks are done via side quests to get pieces of hearts, and some of them don't even do anything really. In the end you give all your masks to kids wearing the boss masks around the tree to obtain the final mask of the game, the Fierce Deity, which is broken as hell.
Ah right. Well in that case, cool.

Well done and congratulations for being an awesome speed gamer.

I used to be a massive Zelda fanboy but I was burned after playing Ocarina of Time and completely lost interest in the entire franchise. It was a bitter betrayal.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Neta said:
Ah right. Well in that case, cool.

Well done and congratulations for being an awesome speed gamer.

I used to be a massive Zelda fanboy but I was burned after playing Ocarina of Time and completely lost interest in the entire franchise. It was a bitter betrayal.
Yeah Majora's Mask is very side quest heavy, and I think that's why I love it. It has only 4 dungeons total in the game, leaving you with 7 Hearts by the final dungeon. All the rest of the heart pieces are obtained via sidequests throughout the game. Thing about it is that in order to get every mask you'll have to reset time constantly because there are time-specific quests (think Lighting Returns, only better implemented), and as a result you'll have to do the Anju and Kafei sidequest at least 4 times, and that sidequest takes all 3 days to complete.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Congrats to that speed runner. I wish I had seen that earlier, I just finished a let's play of Majora's Mask about five days ago, it was in 56 30 minute parts!

Man, I really want to play Majora's Mask. I'm really holding out for an HD remake a-la the Wind Waker for the WiiU or Ocarina of Time for the 3DS.

Sheen Lantern

May 13, 2013
RealRT said:
So a dude beats an old game really fast, how is that so significant it warrants a news post?
My exact thoughts upon reading the title.

To anyone even remotely connected to the online speedrunning community this doesn't even register.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
StewShearer said:
The kicker is that his efforts involve no cheats or glitches.
I'm curious as to where you got this information from? Granted the Kotaku article says he isn't using cheats...he most definitely is using glitches. I only watched 20 minutes of it and saw him use a bomb glitch to send Link sliding backwards across the world, a bomb glitch to send him through walls and out of the map, and a bomb glitch to make a jump. Also saw a few other instances where he would use an item and then rapidly try and hit start to swap it out with another item before it's use ended, which did produce some abnormal results.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
RealRT said:
Because the speedrun is longer then Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
josemlopes said:
RealRT said:
Because the speedrun is longer then Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes
A game of yahtzee is longer than MGS: Ground Zeroes.

Pingrash

Mar 30, 2008
StewShearer said:
The kicker is that his efforts involve no cheats or glitches.
Sorry but while he does not use cheats, he does use glitches. Practically all any% runs require the use of glitches at least every so often.

Any% is definitely my favourite speed run category. While it is frequently under-appreciated or just plain dismissed by many, I have gained great respect for runners in this category.
Using Cosmo Wright as an example, his recent Ocarina of Time any% world records have required days of practice. Quite often he will stream his practice runs on Twitch and can spend upwards of 5 hours straight repeating the same glitch or strategy over and over again to figure out the most optimal way to execute it.
This is often done to save as little as a couple of frames let alone a second or two. But in the end all of these small changes add up.

Congratulations to EnNopp112 on his WR :)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It's runs like this that impress me.

Logan9993 said:
Sorry but while he does not use cheats, he does use glitches. Practically all any% runs require the use of glitches at least every so often.
What glitches did he use?

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
I've occasionally watched his streams, good stuff. I also like watching Cosmo endlessly practice/do runs in Ocarina of Time. You've got to admire their dedication.

As some have already pointed out, he does uses glitches (unlike the article said). I'm pretty sure runs using cheats aren't accepted (at least in any normal category), but using glitches is pretty normal and executing them often requires a great deal of skill too.

008Zulu said:
It's runs like this that impress me.

Logan9993 said:
What glitches did he use?
I saw him at least use a bomb to repeatedly jump in the air (around 23:30) and to perform a HESS (hyper extended/endless super slide) at 29:58. Also he apparently goes out of bounds every now and then. Not sure if you aren't familiar with the glitches, or if you just wanted to know the particular ones, sorry :(

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Congrats to him. Seconding that he does still use glitches, it's just that there isn't any huge wrong warp that can send him through the game extremely fast like OoT.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
CriticKitten said:
StewShearer said:
Last week, we reported on speed runner Cosmo Wright and his record breaking Ocarina of Time run which saw him beating the game <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132994-Speed-Runner-Beats-Ocarina-of-Time-in-Less-Than-19-Minutes>in less than 19 minutes.
*twitch*

No, he didn't, but I'm not starting that argument AGAIN. It's your site's fault that argument even got started in the first place, because your writers can't tell the difference between a full run of a game and a heavily-glitched-through speedrun of 5-10% of the game. But rather than restart that, here, AGAIN, I'm just going to tell you to stop mislabeling his achievement as a full game completion when it's obviously NOT one. Most of us, at least, could agree on the grossly misleading title of the last article. Hopefully this one isn't similarly as inaccurate for click-bait's sake.
I didn't find the title too misleading myself, maybe it's a matter of definition. Some would probably think "beating" a game means you play through it the way the developers intended, while others might argue it just means getting to the finish line. I'd personally lean towards the latter definition, because I wouldn't know where to draw the line otherwise - you could beat the game "properly" and miss one heart container for example.

Not sure if that is what you meant though, but didn't the article you linked specifically say that the Cosmo's run wasn't a full completion and uses glitches?

(If the article's been modified later on, then never mind. Also, there are always people spreading misinformation either knowingly or not, I understand if you've gotten tired of discussing this topic).

And he didn't actually skip any primary elements of the game? And no glitching/exploiting?

Then yes, this is a fair and legitimate run of the game, and he merits props for that.

Logan9993 said:
Oh? Which ones did he use in this run?
He used for example a bomb to jump in the air repeatedly, a HESS (hyper extended superslide, let's you go real fast) and out of bounds -glitches. I'm pretty sure he missed some "essential" stuff in the game, but then again, he categorized his run "any%", so he or Cosmo aren't at least themselves claiming to beat the game fully.

Pingrash

Mar 30, 2008
Trotgar said:
And he didn't actually skip any primary elements of the game? And no glitching/exploiting?

Then yes, this is a fair and legitimate run of the game, and he merits props for that.

Logan9993 said:
Oh? Which ones did he use in this run?
He used for example a bomb to jump in the air repeatedly, a HESS (hyper extended superslide, let's you go real fast) and out of bounds -glitches. I'm pretty sure he missed some "essential" stuff in the game, but then again, he categorized his run "any%", so he or Cosmo aren't at least themselves claiming to beat the game fully.
Yeah multiple HESS's, Bomb Jumps and Out of Bounds (OoB) glitches. I noticed the Infinite Sword Glitch (ISG) get used a few times as well (mostly as part of the Bomb Jump Glitch). I don't follow MM speed runs that much and I admit I haven't watched every second of this run but from what I saw in multiple occasions he uses a combination of the bomb jump and either OoB or HESS glitches to bypass entire sections. A couple of examples being:
Great Bay Temple - @ 51:23 Drops out of bounds in the entrance room and uses a HESS to push himself into position to 'fall' into the boss room.
To End Game(?) - @ 1:20:30 Uses the Bomb Jump glitch to access the top of the Clock Tower on the First Day. Normally only accessible on the night of the Third Day.

I noticed a couple of other random glitches being used as well but I don't fully understand what they do.

Also don't be surprised if he beats this run in the not too distant future. He made a few mistakes along the way and he had a bit of bad luck near the end trying to get bombs from grass. Only small things but would have added up into several seconds lost.