Dark Souls 2: Dragons Not Included

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Dark Souls 2: Dragons Not Included

Not pictured: Dragons, darkness, compelling boss design.

Read Full Article

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
This would probably mean more to me if I'd actually played Dark Souls 2, but I'm guessing this is a in relation to, like Yahtzee said, most of the bosses being dudes in armour.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
canadamus_prime said:
This would probably mean more to me if I'd actually played Dark Souls 2, but I'm guessing this is a in relation to, like Yahtzee said, most of the bosses being dudes in armour.
No, simpler than that, it's that the Dragonrider boss has no dragon. Pretty stupid, but then I think of him as Smough anyway because of his proximity to Ornstein II.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Branindain said:
canadamus_prime said:
No, simpler than that, it's that the Dragonrider boss has no dragon. Pretty stupid, but then I think of him as Smough anyway because of his proximity to Ornstein II.
Oh... right of course. How stupid of me. Well he's also a dude in armour.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
Even worse you have two boss battles against this guy, does he bring a dragon the second time? Nope. Just a huge missed opportunity, though as I'm sure others have pointed out he doesn't exactly fit very well on the dragons he's supposed to ride either. He's just a fat dude in armor with easy to avoid attacks. At least the second time does mix it up somewhat by having some different weapons be used, which is more than can be said for the times you fight the Pursuer.

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
I guess dragons are expensive as later on you get to fight two riders and they don't even get to share a dragon!

Or is it art directors that are expensive... I forget.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Honestly, these guys could've easily been regular enemies. They're truly not boss material.

I'm thinking in Dragon Aerie, akin to what Silver Knights were to Anor Londo. Maybe one of them might actually ride a dragon.

kyoodle said:
I guess dragons are expensive as later on you get to fight two riders and they don't even get to share a dragon!

Or is it art directors that are expensive... I forget.
Except there are 19,000 dragons not long after that point.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
What the hell has the player been doing? WHY IS HE USING INFANTRY SET versus The Dragonrider?!

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
it is kinda disappointing that most bosses seem to be filler. the corridor leading to the looking glass knight is much more dangerous than the boss himself, by that time even people who never touched a souls game before should be able to beat him easily(his shield thing is kinda cool but he did it once for me before melting)
and the bosses that hold the great souls are a little underwhelming, the only one that gave me trouble was the sinner and that was mostly because it's one of the places where the old lighting system rears its head and you can't lock onto enemies until you can poke them with your toe.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
otakon17 said:
What the hell has the player been doing? WHY IS HE USING INFANTRY SET versus The Dragonrider?!
Well the Dragonrider was the first boss I killed/ran into in DS2 on my first run, so maybe the same is true for them?

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
IFS said:
otakon17 said:
Well the Dragonrider was the first boss I killed/ran into in DS2 on my first run, so maybe the same is true for them?
Highly doubtful, the Infantry/Hollow Infantry set is by far worse than even the starting gear unless you're Deprived. Besides it was a joke, also Dragonrider that early? The Old Knights would have been enough of a deterrent I think since you go from fighting enemies with around 250~HP to 900HP.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
otakon17 said:
IFS said:
otakon17 said:
Highly doubtful, the Infantry/Hollow Infantry set is by far worse than even the starting gear unless you're Deprived. Besides it was a joke, also Dragonrider that early? The Old Knights would have been enough of a deterrent I think since you go from fighting enemies with around 250~HP to 900HP.
As a knight starter who used 2h broadsword for a long time (900hp in 8-9 swings), I also went to Heide's tower first and killed The Dragon Rider, then The Old Dragonslayer with the help of some phantoms. The Old Knights are OK except for the hammer wielding one who disappears forever on his first death. Him aside, you can clear the zone without taking a hit just by circling-- not even dodging-- just circling.

I thought The Last Giant was harder than anything in Heide's zone. He took my first life from me!!

OT: This strip isn't moe enough. Needs more Erin. Also, everybody- literally everyone- who's fought that boss has beaten you to the joke. We all said it to ourselves or our viewers before the fight was even over...

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
otakon17 said:
I was a cleric and also fought the Dragonrider first. Knights are weak to Strike damage, so I could 2-hand my starting mace and take out those knights in just a few swings. The Infantry gear is also quite light, so it makes sense in areas like this where stamina is more important than defense.

But yeah, it's weird that the Dragonriders never come with a dragon attached, even though there are plenty of dragons in the game. Actually, you could tack a Dragonrider onto the back of the Guardian Dragon boss without changing anything else and it would be a pretty fun fight.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Robyrt said:
otakon17 said:
I was a cleric and also fought the Dragonrider first. Knights are weak to Strike damage, so I could 2-hand my starting mace and take out those knights in just a few swings. The Infantry gear is also quite light, so it makes sense in areas like this where stamina is more important than defense.

But yeah, it's weird that the Dragonriders never come with a dragon attached, even though there are plenty of dragons in the game. Actually, you could tack a Dragonrider onto the back of the Guardian Dragon boss without changing anything else and it would be a pretty fun fight.
Why did everyone head there first? By sheer direction focusing you'd think most people would have headed to the Forest of Fallen Giants because it is literally right in front of the Far Fire while the path to the Tower of Flame is kind of hidden for the most part on the far side of Majula.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
otakon17 said:
Why did everyone head there first? By sheer direction focusing you'd think most people would have headed to the Forest of Fallen Giants because it is literally right in front of the Far Fire while the path to the Tower of Flame is kind of hidden for the most part on the far side of Majula.
That's what people who don't understand map design(DS2 designers) would think.

Truth of the matter is that where you come in from, you don't make a U turn back into the Forest of Giants, you keep pushing deeper into Majula and find the big archway that scream "dungeon entrance" so loud it's impossible to resist.

It being Dark Souls, you don't even bat an eyelash to the fact that straight away you're fighting giant knights, and it's not even a dungeon, but ruins of some castle.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
otakon17 said:
Robyrt said:
otakon17 said:

When you slap the Heide tower entrance on the right side of Majula along with 90% of the area, it's hard -not- to go there. Turning circles and going left where there's nothing there, it's unlikely. That's the reality of not having a map, people just kind of go places they haven't been yet.

Also, it's not that punishing to go to the tower. Yes, the enemies are tougher, but there's less of them and also way less traversal. It's actually fairly self-contained, and the Warf afterwards is arguably more like the Forest anyway, so no one really loses much for mistakenly making way here.

Both areas eventually lead into the same direction, so you don't lose a whole lot by skipping the Forest or the tower.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Naqel said:
otakon17 said:
That's what people who don't understand map design(DS2 designers) would think.

Truth of the matter is that where you come in from, you don't make a U turn back into the Forest of Giants, you keep pushing deeper into Majula and find the big archway that scream "dungeon entrance" so loud it's impossible to resist.

It being Dark Souls, you don't even bat an eyelash to the fact that straight away you're fighting giant knights, and it's not even a dungeon, but ruins of some castle.
That's pretty much the reason why i didn't gather a single one of the Great Souls in the right order. You blunder into an area and get your face punched through the back of your skull you just go "Huh, that happened". Since it's Dark Souls and you expect it to be hard a few deaths and some hard-to-kill enemies aren't gonna make you turn around in case this really is the right direction. Unless you decide to check the FAQs or the DkS wikia, but i reserve that sort of behavior for NG+ runs.