Doom Reboot Info - Many Demons, No Regenerating Health

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Doom Reboot Info - Many Demons, No Regenerating Health

"Doom is an origin game, about fast, FAST paced combat. It's about amazing guns and blood and gore and gibs."

That "DOSG [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135825-Doom-4-Preview-Exclusive-to-QuakeCon-Attendees-Wont-be-Posted-Online] has gotten the scoop on some of the game's details. "Doom is an origin game, about fast, FAST paced combat. It's about amazing guns and blood and gore and gibs," said Bethesda at the event, adding "It's the Doom game that we want to make and what you want to play."

Id Software's upcoming Doom title will be a complete reboot of the franchise, that will be powered by id Tech 6, said Bethesda's to Marty Stratton. He added that the new Doom will feature lots of enemies on screen with lots of gore and gibs. Oh, and it definitely won't feature regenerating health, as Marty said the game's fast-paced nature means players wont be able to sit behind a barrel for cover in every firefight.

The game will also feature melee combat, with a "Karate" system, and body dismemberment. During the demo, the Doom guy ripped the arm off of a dead corpse so that he could use the hand for biometric scanning. During another scene, a shotgun blast blew a demon in two, after first blowing off his head.

Fatalities, inspired by Brutal Doom, will also be present in the game. Bethesda also stated that the game would run in 60 FPS 1080p on both the Xbox One and the PS4.

Apparently, a playable demo of the game is present at QuakeCon, so stay tuned for more information and leaks.

Source: DSOG [http://www.dsogaming.com/news/here-are-the-first-details-for-the-new-doom-game/]

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
that promo image is eather really stupid or cool....I cant decide

I wonder if they could do it in the vein of Wolfenstein....now that would be cool

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
1) I did not hear "PC" anywhere.
2)
"Doom is an origin game, about fast, FAST paced combat. It's about amazing guns and blood and gore and gibs,"
Ohmygawd, it was sooo hard to get, what made Doom popular back in 1993. They needed 10 years to figure out why Doom 3 failed.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Hooray! More reboots with unchanged names to their original games, that'll fuck with filing systems down the line, guess this game is going to be known as "Doom 2015" in three years.

OT: Everything I've heard about this game sounds way too good to be true... which is why I know that it probably is.
Remaining skeptical while hopeful until I can see some actual gameplay.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Until I hear something about sprawling open level design, I am not interested. That is what made Doom great, and most of the shooters of old.

Ichigo

Nov 13, 2012
That sounds nice. Now show us the bloody video Bethesda and stop that secrecy stuff.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Another game for friends to tell me about, for me to tell them is going to be crap, and another instance where I'll be proven correct... well I'm sure it'll be better than that aliens game at the very least.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Rastrelly said:
2)
"Doom is an origin game, about fast, FAST paced combat. It's about amazing guns and blood and gore and gibs,"
Ohmygawd, it was sooo hard to get, what made Doom popular back in 1993. They needed 10 years to figure out why Doom 3 failed.
Too bad that Doom 1 and 2 didn't age well. Like... at all. While Doom 3 did in all but graphics.

Clive Howlitzer said:
Until I hear something about sprawling open level design, I am not interested. That is what made Doom great, and most of the shooters of old.
Those "mazes" where you were looking for a freaking exit for one damn hour because nothing looked like anything and nothing made sense? No, thanks, I can live without that. I prefer to have semi-linear paths with side-ways like Half-Life.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I'm 80% sure that Promo image is deliberately taking the piss out of Doom 3's choice (read: Lack) of lighting.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Madame_Lawliet said:
Hooray! More reboots with unchanged names to their original games, that'll fuck with filing systems down the line, guess this game is going to be known as "Doom 2015" in three years.
They should have called something like Doom 3015 just to keep it cool and edgy (and 90s, Doom 1 and 2 are the definition of a 90s game) while being easy to understand what year it came out.

Bindal said:
Rastrelly said:
2)
Too bad that Doom 1 and 2 didn't age well. Like... at all. While Doom 3 did in all but graphics.

Clive Howlitzer said:
Those "mazes" where you were looking for a freaking exit for one damn hour because nothing looked like anything and nothing made sense? No, thanks, I can live without that. I prefer to have semi-linear paths with side-ways like Half-Life.
Doom 1 and 2 aged very well actually, its bare bones shooter action with that action being very well refined, its basicly a close quarters Serious Sam. Doom 3 on the other hand is poorly paced and doesnt really know what it wants to be.

I do agree that the maze levels can be a pain in some segments of the game but I blame it more on the limited selection of tiles and the fact that only after Duke Nukem 3D you could have a floor on top of another floor, level design back there was fairly limited so some segments felt out of place, but with the technology we have now I really dont see how that couldnt be possible (more open level design at least) while keeping it easy to understand where was what.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Dragonlayer said:
Nuts. I was hoping for a action horror affair like Doom 3. Ah well....
Some people on forums have been complaining about the Doom 3 look actually. A bit of conflicted reporting from people but meh, we'll find out when we can see it with our own eyes.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
josemlopes said:
Bindal said:
Rastrelly said:
2)

Clive Howlitzer said:
Doom 1 and 2 aged very well actually, its bare bones shooter action with that action being very well refined, its basicly a close quarters Serious Sam. Doom 3 on the other hand is poorly paced and doesnt really know what it wants to be.
I played Doom 1 and because I wasn't blinded by nostalgia, I could see how Doom actually was. And it was freaking BORING. I wasn't lying when I said that I spend more time finding the next door to get to the exit than anything else. Even shooting I wasn't doing as much as 'get lost in warehouse' (and yes, I played through all three original episodes despite being bored out of my mind in the middle of Ep1)
And the whole design of the maps was also horrible as everything looked like a warehouse. A lab? Looks like a warehouse. A waste disposal plant? Looks like a warehouse! Hell? You guessed it: WAREHOUSE!
Even the final level of Ep1 looked like a warehouse - despite the fact that there was a giant pentagram in the room FOR NO REASON! (which didn't make it any better)

And the gameplay was also not good as 99% of the enemies could be taken on with the Shotgun. The VERY rare case I couldn't? Rocket launcher. (Serious Sam on the other hand picking a weapon on the enemy is more important as taking on a Kleer with Rocket Launchers is bad - but so is using a shotgun against half of the Rocketeers. Plus the levels looked like something! And there were non-combat-phases where I had to do some basic platforming or - in case of BFE - basic switch-puzzles to break the monotony of 'shooting')

Sorry, but no, Doom 1 and 2 did not age well and those that claim are mostly wearing nostalgia googles.

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
Bindal said:
josemlopes said:
Bindal said:
Rastrelly said:
2)

Clive Howlitzer said:
I played Doom 1 and because I wasn't blinded by nostalgia, I could see how Doom actually was. And it was freaking BORING. I wasn't lying when I said that I spend more time finding the next door to get to the exit than anything else. Even shooting I wasn't doing as much as 'get lost in warehouse' (and yes, I played through all three original episodes despite being bored out of my mind in the middle of Ep1)
And the whole design of the maps was also horrible as everything looked like a warehouse. A lab? Looks like a warehouse. A waste disposal plant? Looks like a warehouse! Hell? You guessed it: WAREHOUSE!
Even the final level of Ep1 looked like a warehouse - despite the fact that there was a giant pentagram in the room FOR NO REASON! (which didn't make it any better)

And the gameplay was also not good as 99% of the enemies could be taken on with the Shotgun. The VERY rare case I couldn't? Rocket launcher. (Serious Sam on the other hand picking a weapon on the enemy is more important as taking on a Kleer with Rocket Launchers is bad - but so is using a shotgun against half of the Rocketeers. Plus the levels looked like something! And there were non-combat-phases where I had to do some basic platforming or - in case of BFE - basic switch-puzzles to break the monotony of 'shooting')

Sorry, but no, Doom 1 and 2 did not age well and those that claim are mostly wearing nostalgia googles.
Maybe it's because I used the Brutal Doom mod, but I'm only 15 and loved Doom 1 and 2 when I played them a few months ago.

GoodNewsOke

Jan 30, 2014
Bindal said:
[...]
I have to disagree. I played Doom and Doom 2 for the first time last year or so due to the Doom 3 BFG edition. And I had a blast. No Nostalgia attached.

It's fast paced yet simple combat felt incredibly refreshing to me. No need to hold an additional button to aim, no need to hide behind walls to regenerate health. And the levels, while occasionally maze-like, were large and exploration-friendly. I admit that some stages felt a bit same-y and some additional textures would have been nice but it never got in the way.

Doom 3 on the other hand felt like a mess.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
step1999 said:
Maybe it's because I used the Brutal Doom mod, but I'm only 15 and loved Doom 1 and 2 when I played them a few months ago.
It was Brutal Doom as that changes the gameplay in some serious ways (e.g. including some very basic elements like RELOADING)

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
If there's one thing I know id will never let me down on, it's the weapons. Every game from id I've seen always has the most satisfying weapons I've ever seen. Only Serious Sam comes close (although it comes very close).

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Wasn't Doom 3 a reboot of the franchise as well? Are we getting closer to that horrifying point where every sequel just hits the reset button and starts things over from the beginning? It seems like the logical conclusion to what we've seen these last few years.

Hopefully this will be as fun as Serious Sam 3. That's the sort of style they need to aim for, and if they can manage it, New Doom should be a good time.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Can we stop with the nostalgia argument? It's complete bs, nostalgia only works for a short while, then it goes away. It is actually possible for a game to be good because it's good and not just because it reminds you of the past or whatever. Personally i think Doom 1 has it's issues, it lacks the double barreled shotgun and some of the level design is a bit odd, especially in the later episodes. But Final Doom and Doom 2 gets rid of most of the problems and i personally think that the level design is damn near perfect in those, especially in Plutonia. There's so much variety and clever use of space that forces the player to constantly rethink his strategies. The cool thing about Doom is that it plays more like a complex shoot em up than an fps, it's like Alien Breed but in first person, i love that about Doom, it's what sets it apart from most of its peers.

And no, i don't just think that because it reminds me of the 90s, if that was the case i would only get enjoyment out of it when playing with pc speakers(and my favourite game would be the awful Superman game on the mastersystem...), which obviously isn't the case. I actually like it because it's a really solid game (maybe that's also why it keeps getting ported?). But then again, i don't believe that good game design has an expiration date... Doom 3 aged, but only because it was terrible the day it was released, just a tedious run of the mill horror shooter with some very silly technical limiations and boring level design.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Bindal said:
Rastrelly said:
2)
Cannot agree. I still play Doom 1 and Doom 2 pretty much at least once a week and enjoy them. Doom 3 - I played twice.