No FOV Control in Far Cry 4? You Pirated the Game

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
No FOV Control in Far Cry 4? You Pirated the Game

People went online to complain about FOV controls in Far Cry 4 just to discover they were revealing themselves as pirates.

Far Cry 4 [http://escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/far%20cry%204]'s field of view glitch is an intentional one - that is, if you don't have a legitimate copy of the game. Alexander Hutchinson, creative director at Ubisoft Montreal, told PC players complaining about the lack of field of vision controls that they must have pirated the game.

Hutchinson said all legitimate copies of the game connected to the internet will have automatically received the feature via a launch day patch. Hutchinson also noted that many complaints were popping up before the game's Nov. 18 launch. (His initial tweet was sent on Nov. 17.) Complaints on Reddit surfaced on Nov. 15 as one user said the FOV slider was nowhere to be found, later updating the post to say FOV controls are in a day one patch.

Developers will sometimes enact measures to cripple pirated copies of games. EA and Maxis' The Sims 4 gameplay shows up as a pixellated blur for pirated copies of the game. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137264-EA-Deals-With-The-Sims-4-Pirates-by-Pixelating-the-Game]

Far Cry 4 is experiencing legitimate problems affecting the game, though. Ubisoft is updating a blog with live updates on known issues [http://far-cry.ubi.com/en-US/news/live-updates-detail.aspx?c=tcm:152-185417-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32] in Far Cry 4 as it works on its upcoming second patch. Some of these problems include PC crashes, data corruption on the PS3, and invalid preorder code redemption for the "Blood Ruby" bonus mission, or a lack of the email at all.

Source: Eurogamer [https://twitter.com/BangBangClick/status/534543612407992321]

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Reminds me of the Sim 4 thing a few months ago. Hackers might find a way around this, but I think ideas like them are clever.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
"Yeah, of COURSE we didn't FORGET an FOV slider. No, no, no way! It was a... a FEATURE! Yeah, a feature! To... fight PIRACY! Yes, that's right! And if you try to say anything else you are a damn dirty pirate!"

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
This is the type of DRM that I think is best. Pirate the game, you get a crippled version of it. Maybe even have the game crash any time you try to open it, something like that. That way you don't need to be always online, you don't need some draconian DRM or Uplay, or anything else. It's simple, effective, and you can figure out who's a pirate and who isn't by what they say.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Christ, Ubisoft... AGAIN?

"Some of these problems include PC crashes, data corruption on the PS3, and invalid preorder code redemption for the "Blood Ruby" bonus mission, or a lack of the email at all."

Maybe spend less time on ridiculous stuff and more on finishing/delaying a game?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Heh, Ubisoft has taken a fair amount of shit recently, but I do always like stories of pirates getting caught in the act.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
LysanderNemoinis said:
This is the type of DRM that I think is best. Pirate the game, you get a crippled version of it. Maybe even have the game crash any time you try to open it, something like that. That way you don't need to be always online, you don't need some draconian DRM or Uplay, or anything else. It's simple, effective, and you can figure out who's a pirate and who isn't by what they say.
This isn't DRM. The game, at launch, had no FOV sliders, and the pirated copy is the day 1 launch copy.

The game still runs like arse anyway, from what I hear, so Ubi were being lazy across the board with their games. This does not bode well for people holding out for The Crew >.>

Quantupus

Apr 15, 2009
According to Toatalbiscut's "Port Report" of Far Cry 4, although it does have an FOV slider, it doesn't tell you what the FOV is. It's just a slider with no text. No way of telling what the maximum or minimum FOVs are and no way to find out what you have it set to when you move the slider.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
You sure? The game is so buggy it's a bit hard to tell. The black screen if you have USB devices plugged in is pathetic.

Okay, less buggy than Unity.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
UK Steam users still waiting for these recent Ubisoft games... just thought i'd say.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Of course... How could I confuse the lack of a feature in a retail game with a genuine DRM measure?

I guess the only people that would fall for that are pirates... and people who bought the game but couldn't download the patch, because they are not connected 24/7 to that piece of crap UPlay service (or to the Internet) which, in the eyes of Ubisoft, are pretty much pirates too.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
cikame said:
UK Steam users still waiting for these recent Ubisoft games... just thought i'd say.
Not that we care much about Unity anymore.

And frankly i havent yet heard anything about FC4 that sets it above, or even apart from FC3.

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
Jandau said:
"Yeah, of COURSE we didn't FORGET an FOV slider. No, no, no way! It was a... a FEATURE! Yeah, a feature! To... fight PIRACY! Yes, that's right! And if you try to say anything else you are a damn dirty pirate!"
My thoughts exactly. XD

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
Still not as good as the Arkham Asylum's "I can't glide" anti-pirate thing.

Though Earthbound has the best one ever. P:irated copies had an insanely increased encounter rate (you'd rarely go more than 2 steps without getting into a fight) and if you finally managed to get to the last Boss the game would "lock up" forcing you to reset the console and when you turned the power back on your saved games were gone.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
And the two most obvious things that strong to mind right now are:

{A} This could also come from a buggy and incomplete legitimate copy (totally possible, given the last paragraph).

{B} The pirates are already on the case and have probably fixed the defect, fixed the bugs, and started modding the game.

It's not kind, but it is very possibly true.

Captcha: Al Capone

Also, there is apparently tax-evasion.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
ooooh zing!
But really, I didn't know console games had FoV sliders at all.

And all that really does is create distrust in customer support and force always online.
I wonder how many piracies this has prevented, oh wait, it was pirated even before release. I can't be the only one who sees that flaw.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
webkilla said:
Sooo... punishing offline players to prevent piracy? Classy
That was my initial thought too. Not sure which is worse, if they really did do it on purpose and just didn't care about offline players or they are lying and trying to pass off a missing feature as anti-piracy measure

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I BOUGHT, okay, I was GIFTED, the game...

And, BLACK SCREEN!

No game play, just crashing with a black screen.