Miles Morales, Ms. Marvel Will Join All-New, All-Different Avengers

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Miles Morales, Ms. Marvel Will Join All-New, All-Different Avengers

Marvel's All-New, All-Different Avengers will launch on this year's Free Comic Book Day.

Marvel has some big plans for 2015, with the biggest obviously being the launch of its <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137954-Secret-Wars-Returns-To-Marvel-Comics-For-2015-Announced-At-NYCC>new Secret Wars event. Over the course of a new series of event books, the 616 and Ultimate universe will collide, potentially bringing both to an end to make way for a new, unified universe. In the aftermath of that event the comic publisher intends to launch several new series, including a pair of new Avengers books. The first will be a female-led comic <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139743-Marvel-Comics-All-Female-A-Force-Team-Replaces-Avengers-for-Secret-Wars>dubbed A-Force. The second will be called All-New, All-Different Avengers and feature a smaller, more eclectic team whose members, up until recently, have been a mystery.

Marvel changed that this week with a series of teaser images gradually unveiling the identities of the All-Different team members. The final image was released today, revealing that its full roster will include (female) Thor, Sam Wilson as Captain America, Iron Man, Vision, Nova, Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales as Spider-Man. Marvel will be giving away the first issue of All-Different for free as a part of this year's Free Comic Book Day. Free Comic Book Day is currently scheduled for Saturday, May 2nd.

The big surprise with this reveal, obviously, is the inclusion of Miles Morales as a member of the team. While we've known for some time now that Ultimate universe <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138210-Marvel-Launching-Ultimate-Universe-The-End-in-2015>will be ending as a result of Secret Wars, Marvel hasn't offered many clues as to who will survive its collapse. This would seem a fair sign, however, that Miles will be joining the 616 universe (or its replacement) following the end of the new event. As a big fan of both Miles Morales and Ultimate Spider-Man, I can personally say I'm happy about that.

Source: Bleeding Cool

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Is that supposed to be Ms. Marvel in the lower left?!? She looks terrible, like a scrawny old man in a wig.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Ukomba said:
Is that supposed to be Ms. Marvel in the lower left?!? She looks terrible, like a scrawny old man in a wig.
She's Arabic, IIRC. At least Muslim. Although really, being Muslim is kind of stupid in the Marvel-verse considering that there are literal Gods walking around. On the other hand, Tony is an Atheist despite, again, there being an actual God ON HIS TEAM.

So who knows anymore.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Can I just say I'm kinda disappointed its Iron Man and not Rescue. I mean I know Thor, Captain America and Iron Man are like the Trinity of the Avengers but I really want to see more Rescue and a mashup line up like this would be the perfect place for her to star in an Avengers role. Other than that I'm glad to see the only major change made recently that is being dropped is Superior Iron man. It was a horrible idea in the first place and it never really clicked like it did for Superior Spiderman.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Ukomba said:
It's probably just because they are drawing her using her powers. I suppose its easier when she doesn't have to share the cover space like that to show her stretching and stuff.

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
Eh, I don't see that being Muslim, Christian or Jewish would have that big a difference in the Marvel universe. On the other hand, I imagine followers of the Norse, Greek and Roman pantheons would both be bigger and more disappointed. Sure it's great when you can point to your god actually, physically existing. (Check out this photo of me and Thor in Central Park!) But it also kind of takes some of the 'godliness' away when you see him getting smacked across Manhattan by The Hulk....

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Ukomba said:
She's Arabic, IIRC. At least Muslim. Although really, being Muslim is kind of stupid in the Marvel-verse considering that there are actual Gods walking around. On the other hand, Tony is an Atheist despite, again, there being an actual God ON HIS TEAM.

So who knows anymore.
I find Atheists in fiction odd in general anyways since, in a very real sense, The author is the god of the fictional universe. Wonder if the authors ever grin at creating a character that is sure they don't exist.

Anyways, that wasn't the point. She's got match stick arms and legs. Not sure why, but the way her face is drawn in that picture gives me the impression she doesn't have any teeth. I don't know the proportions just look wrong.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Kopikatsu said:
Ukomba said:
She's Arabic, IIRC. At least Muslim. Although really, being Muslim is kind of stupid in the Marvel-verse considering that there are literal Gods walking around. On the other hand, Tony is an Atheist despite, again, there being an actual God ON HIS TEAM.

So who knows anymore.
My head-cannon on the issue is that Atheism in these universes are more about not accepting to follow a god then believing in one, there are many atheists who if they knew god existed would flip him off.

OT: This seems like a good idea for a team book, I liked Miles Morales first 27 issue series run. I haven't read the other Books in the series because of money but since this is free I would be more then willing to check it out.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
...Am I the only one who thinks that calling something "The All-New, All-Different" as part of the official title seems kind of dumb?

I mean, Nintendo giving its games (and now also consoles) titles that start with "New" has always struck me as something really redundant, uncreative and silly (read: stupid). But actually giving something the title "All-New, All-Different" makes me think of a parody comic instead of the real deal.

Then again, I'm more of a European comic guy, so maybe it's just a case of "not getting it".

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Ukomba said:

So who knows anymore.
I'm not following your logic. Why would figures of European mythology walking around make belief in other totally unrelated religions that have a large following stupid? I mean, certainly I understand why people could find religion in general stupid, but I'm not seeing any correlation here seeing as Muslims, Christians, etc already don't believe that Thor is a real god.

On topic, am I the only one that's starting to feel that Marvel is unintentionally segregating minority superheroes with these offshoot teams? I mean, sure, they've got Iron Man, but then, even he may count if he's openly Atheist. And then there's the all-female team...

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Kopikatsu said:
On the other hand, Tony is an Atheist despite, again, there being an actual God ON HIS TEAM.

So who knows anymore.
'Gods like an Atheist. it gives them something to aim at.'

'I don't care how many lightning bolts those buggers throw at me, I still ain't believing in them!' - Quotes for a dsicworld atheist.

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
Arqus_Zed said:
...Am I the only one who thinks that calling something "The All-New, All-Different" as part of the official title seems kind of dumb?
No same here... and calling it all-new is even dumber since this is like the third series they're branding as "all-new", they should just go back to normal titles.

But am I the only who just can't really give a crap about Miles Morales?
Everybody just loves the character but to me he's just... meh.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
Ukomba said:
She's Arabic, IIRC. At least Muslim. Although really, being Muslim is kind of stupid in the Marvel-verse considering that there are literal Gods walking around.
Still looks like a dude though.

Virtual Boy

Feb 21, 2015
"All-New, All-Different Avengers" and "A-Force." These titles are terrible.

I gave up on Marvel recently because I accepted that I wasn't their target audience anymore, and this made me realize that I made the right choice. These sound like they should be titles for the Junior Marvel kiddie line, not for the flagship series.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Scars Unseen said:
Kopikatsu said:
Ukomba said:

So who knows anymore.
I'm not following your logic. Why would figures of European mythology walking around make belief in other totally unrelated religions that have a large following stupid? I mean, certainly I understand why people could find religion in general stupid, but I'm not seeing any correlation here seeing as Muslims, Christians, etc already don't believe that Thor is a real god.

On topic, am I the only one that's starting to feel that Marvel is unintentionally segregating minority superheroes with these offshoot teams? I mean, sure, they've got Iron Man, but then, even he may count if he's openly Atheist. And then there's the all-female team...
Not to mention, whether or not Thor is an actual god in the religious sense is up for debate, the Asgardians in Marvel will freely admit that they didn't create the universe ,or even Earth and human beings, and the Norse religion is only loosely applicable to the Asgardians. So the idea of worshiping a monotheistic god is hardly strange, especially considering that there is a canon single all-powerful entity responsible for creating the Marvel universe known as the One-Above-All, given the vague name, personality and history, you could easily slot him in as God or Allah or any other monotheistic deity.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Ukomba said:
Her powers let her distort her body shape to "run faster," be stronger, shrink, grow and all sorts of weird things. That is why she looks odd.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
bdcjacko said:
Ukomba said:
Her powers let her distort her body shape to "run faster," be stronger, shrink, grow and all sorts of weird things. That is why she looks odd.
Really? Oh, didn't know that. Thought Rogues Super strength, flight, and invulnerability were stolen from her.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Ukomba said:
bdcjacko said:
Ukomba said:
Really? Oh, didn't know that. Thought Rogues Super strength, flight, and invulnerability were stolen from her.
No, that was Carol Danvers who is Captain Marvel now. This Ms. Marvel is Kamala Khan who idolizes Carol.

The Captian/Ms Marvel moniker gets confusing.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Wow "Captain America" looks weird. Wings? Really? If you're going to change one of the biggest superheroes in your universe, at least make him look nice (looking at you too, fem-Thor)

EDIT: Wait, why is Thor's lightning rainbow colored?