Miles Morales, Ms. Marvel Will Join All-New, All-Different Avengers

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
GZGoten said:
Kopikatsu said:
Ukomba said:
Is that supposed to be Ms. Marvel in the lower left?!? She looks terrible, like a scrawny old man in a wig.
She's Arabic, IIRC. At least Muslim. Although really, being Muslim is kind of stupid in the Marvel-verse considering that there are literal Gods walking around. On the other hand, Tony is an Atheist despite, again, there being an actual God ON HIS TEAM.

So who knows anymore.
you do know that Thor and Asgardians aren't really gods right?
They call themselves as such because of their immense god like powers and to us humans they may seem like gods because of said power and control over a specific element as well as their life span being in the hundred thousands of years
You know that was retconned because of arguments like that one, right? Specifically, he stopped being the literal god of thunder, to an alien that primitive people confused with a god.

But nevermind, forget Thor. In the Marvel Universe, we have Hercules, son of Zeus himself and part of the Greek pantheon walking around. We also have Mephisto (or Mephistopheles), a true to life, brimstone and fire kind of christian Arch-demon. We also have Death, as in the real personification of the end of life.

So, there is hardly a point to not believing in deities, or even a particular set of them. They are as many pantheons as countries in the world...

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
rgrekejin said:
Kopikatsu said:
She's Arabic, IIRC. At least Muslim. Although really, being Muslim is kind of stupid in the Marvel-verse considering that there are literal Gods walking around. On the other hand, Tony is an Atheist despite, again, there being an actual God ON HIS TEAM.
I'm reminded of Anarky, the heavily V For Vendetta-influenced atheist character introduced in the Batman books by DC in the 90s to be edgy (because atheism is edgy!)

In his very first team-up book, they paired him with Etrigan, a literal demon from literal Hell.

I suspect that most comic book atheists, who live in a universe with verifiable supernatural beings, are probably more like John Constantine that real-world atheists. They're of course aware that Gods exist - they just don't believe any of them are worthy of reverence.
Well... that would not make him an atheist, but a cynic theist. After all, he knows (first hand) of the existence of God, Satan, Angels and Demons, he just don't feel devotion for any of them.

But I always thought poorly of the existence of non-believers in the comics world. It reminded my of an exchange:
- Batman: There is no such a thing as magic.
- Robin: Really? Stop me if any of this names rings a bell: Zatanna, Specter, Doctor Fate, Xanadu, Felix Faust, Morgaine Le Fey, Circe...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
hermes200 said:
rgrekejin said:
Kopikatsu said:
I'm reminded of Anarky, the heavily V For Vendetta-influenced atheist character introduced in the Batman books by DC in the 90s to be edgy (because atheism is edgy!)

In his very first team-up book, they paired him with Etrigan, a literal demon from literal Hell.

I suspect that most comic book atheists, who live in a universe with verifiable supernatural beings, are probably more like John Constantine that real-world atheists. They're of course aware that Gods exist - they just don't believe any of them are worthy of reverence.
Well... that would not make him an atheist, but a cynic theist. After all, he knows (first hand) of the existence of God, Satan, Angels and Demons, he just don't feel devotion for any of them.

But I always thought poorly of the existence of non-believers in the comics world. It reminded my of an exchange:
- Robin: Really? Stop me if any of this names rings a bell: Zatanna, Specter, Doctor Fate, Xanadu, Felix Faust, Morgaine Le Fey, Circe...
Yeah, having athiests and skeptics in works of supernatural/fantastical fiction always lines them up to be proven wrong. They are always wrong. I personally find it annoying, and would rather they just left them out. I mean, we all go into these movies/shows/books/etc knowing damn well that something supernatural is going to happen, so having a token skeptic there to just go "oh come on, that is simply impossible" just so they can be ironically killed off by said "impossible" thing in the next scene is really tiresome.

I remember an episode of Renegade Cut about skeptics in horror stories that was quite interesting.

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
GZGoten said:
Kopikatsu said:
Ukomba said:
Is that supposed to be Ms. Marvel in the lower left?!? She looks terrible, like a scrawny old man in a wig.

So who knows anymore.
They call themselves as such because of their immense god like powers and to us humans they may seem like gods because of said power and control over a specific element as well as their life span being in the hundred thousands of years
That is only in the movies. In the comics they are actual gods

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
hermes200 said:
rgrekejin said:
Kopikatsu said:

Right, that's what I'm saying - I think the term 'atheist' probably needs to be defined differently to have any meaning whatsoever in a comicbook universe, because if you use the traditional meaning, it's basically just nonsensical.

Of course, a lack of internal consistency leading to a nonsensical universe isn't really out of the realm of possibility in comics. It's pretty obvious, for instance, that Mr. Terrific of the JSA (Michael Holt, not Terry Sloane) is an atheist in the traditional sense of the word... despite the fact that he became a hero only after The Spectre, who is the literal embodiment of God's Judgement, talks him out of suicide. And the defining characteristic of Mr. Terrific is that he's really smart! Even weirder, he's portrayed as something of a reluctant atheist: he was contemplating suicide over his role in the death of his wife and child, and hopes for some eternal reward for them even though he can't quite bring himself to believe it. However, he needs to resort to some pretty outlandish rationalizations to maintain his atheism in light of the fact that he has literally talked to the Spirit of God's Judgement, and encountered lots of other heroes with magical/divine natures, like Deadman and Captain Marvel.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hasn't Marvel failed when all the fans are calling the new Thor "Fem-Thor"?
Not really, it happens often with legacy heroes, especially in cases where a legacy hero exists in one line where the original is still operating in another series or universe. Same reason that they call new captain America falcap, or they call the new Ms. Marvel Kamala.

In this case, they kind of have to call her something a little different because old Thor is still trucking around, it's his name not his superhero title, even if he gives it up fans aren't going to just call him by his assumed name, they'll likely start calling female Thor by her actual name when her identity gets revealed, much like fans do when differentiating the various Green Lanterns or Robins.

The current female Thor hasn't failed, because she was never meant to be a long term replacement for the old Thor anyway, that's like believing that Marvel is seriously going to keep Wolverine dead for any significant length of time. This isn't like a new Green Lantern coming along where she will remain Thor for a decade or more before retaining the role along with the older character. Marvel has been snapping back the status quo to match the movies ever since the MCU got big, just like they axed Thor's alter-ego, Donald Blake (by making him a disembodied head in a coma), to make him closer to his movie counterpart. Marvel has no intention of trying to replace old Thor with this new version, her biggest hook is her identity, if she's a new character or an already existing one, once that hand has been played, Thor will be back again, likely just in time for Thor 3:ragnarok to hit theaters.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hasn't Marvel failed when all the fans are calling the new Thor "Fem-Thor"?
Oh not all of them. Quite a number on the internet are using a contraction of "Woman tHOR" if you get my drift.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Gailim said:
GZGoten said:
Kopikatsu said:
Ukomba said:

So who knows anymore.
That is only in the movies. In the comics they are actual gods
http://marvel.wikia.com/Asgardians

that first paragraph would lead me to believe that it's humans that view them as gods and not that they really are gods, just uber powerful beings when compared to us humans.