Blizzard Reveals Warcraft Movie Trailer

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Blizzard Reveals Warcraft Movie Trailer

The long awaited first trailer for the Warcraft movie has arrived, and it received a great reception at Blizzcon today.

Director Duncan Jones took the stage during the opening ceremonies of Blizzcon 2015 to show off the first full trailer for the Warcraft movie. Before showing off the trailer, he introduced a few of the cast members who were in attendance. They included Toby Kebbell (Durotan), Ben Foster (Medivh), Dominic Cooper (King Llane Wrynn), Clancy Brown (Blackhand), Daniel Wu (Gul'dan), and Paula Patton (Garona).

The plot will feature the orcs trying to make a new home, and the conflict between the orcs and humans. Durotan and Anduin Lothar try to forge an uneasy peace as both sides prepare for war. Many plot details are still up in the air, but there are plenty of familiar touches in the trailer, so fans of any of the games in the series shouldn't be disappointed with this one.

The Warcraft movie hits theaters June 10, 2016.

[gallery=4996]

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
CGICraft

A world at war. CGI vs Live Action CGI hybrids.

If only they could come to terms, we could have a game worthy of the cry-engine.

This game looks pretty bad IMO.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Oh god, they are seriously going to retcon the whole story into nothing but orcs fighting humans aren't they?

First it starts by saying that they are leaving Draenor because its "dying"; they left because Gul'dan tricked the orcs into invading Azeroth so that he could find the Tomb of Sargeras. No hints of the Burning Legion at all in the trailer which to me is a little concerning considering how big they are in the Warcraft EU.

It looks like Thrall gets sent down a river moses style, instead of being left for dead by assassins and found by Proudmoore. Also looks like Garona is more half human instead of half draenei.

Overall it looks as expected I just hope they don't sacrifice too much of the original story.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Coreless said:
Overall it looks as expected I just hope they don't sacrifice too much of the original story.
Be a bizarre choice to sacrifice the original story, because WoW fans are literally the ONLY AUDIENCE that is going to go see this. I don't see it having significant broad market appeal.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh...oh thats a shame...
But hey, Dungeons and dragons hasn't had a good film ever and they're still around. Don't worry Blizzard, I'm sure the fallout from this won't be crippling.
At least not permanently...

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Coreless said:
It looks like Thrall gets sent down a river moses style, instead of being left for dead by assassins and found by Proudmoore. Also looks like Garona is more half human instead of half draenei.
Well in the pre-retcon half-dranei was virtually the same as half human.
You don't want to show the burning legion in the trailer because the burning legion is a reveal. You would ruin at least the first act or maybe the whole movie

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Nice to see Ragnar Lothbrok getting a movie role!
On the whole not bad. Think they might pull off support for a franchise with this as a start.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
They're doing a lot of retcons there, not sure how much I like that. Warcraft's lore is already convoluted enough without conflicting move/book/game timelines all vying to be the 'most authetic' one.

Otherwise just going to have to wait and see I guess. I wasn't blown away but the trailer didn't look terrible either.

Also, fuck Green Jesus/Superman/Moses Thrall. If we're retconning all the lore anyway, I hope that river sends his dumb little basket down a waterfall and onto so spiky rocks so we can be saved his idiocy in the future.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
BloatedGuppy said:
Coreless said:
Be a bizarre choice to sacrifice the original story, because WoW fans are literally the ONLY AUDIENCE that is going to go see this. I don't see it having significant broad market appeal.
I honestly can't say if this will reach an audience outside of gamers/fantasy buffs. It so... I don't know.

I feel like they should have gone 100% CGI. Live action humans standing next to CGI WoW orcs is super jarring.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Fappy said:
I feel like they should have gone 100% CGI. Live action humans standing next to CGI WoW orcs is super jarring.
To be honest I expect the whole movie is a sort of technical experiment for this technique.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
wizzy555 said:
Fappy said:
To be honest I expect the whole movie is a sort of technical experiment for this technique.
I think the problem is simply that WoW orcs are soooo stylized and the humans are just... normal humans in goofy armor. It doesn't really mesh well. Humans in the actual game follow the same basic art direction, which is why it works there.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
wizzy555 said:
Coreless said:
Well in the pre-retcon half-dranei was virtually the same as half human.
You don't want to show the burning legion in the trailer because the burning legion is a reveal. You would ruin at least the first act or maybe the whole movie
You could be right, I looked to see if there was anything on Medivh and Gul'dan that has been announced and apparently the footage they showed at Comic Con had Gul'dan with a large cult around him so at least there is a chance to see the Shadow Council.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I would give it a go, surely it can't be as bad as that past fantasy movie Dungeon and Dragons?

Also the plot is confusing, that guy and the orc ally with each other but their own kinds don't agreed and have a war? IT make me think which side that main guy and orc are on?

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
I would give it a go, surely it can't be as bad as that past fantasy movie Dungeon and Dragons?

Also the plot is confusing, that guy and the orc ally with each other but their own kinds don't agreed and have a war? IT make me think which side that main guy and orc are on?
Well in the original story Medivh opens a portal to their world to let the orcs invade, they don't succeed the first time until Gul'dan and Blackhand unite and they sack the human lands. Its Durotan and Draka that find out Gul'dans true intentions for the invasion and so they unite their Frostwolf Clan against him with the help of Doomhammer. I guess in the movie they also unite with the Humans as well, which isn't something that happened in the game from what I remember.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
The most glaring critique is probably that, yes, people have been clamoring for a Warcraft movie since Blizzard blew everyone's minds with their Warcraft 3 cinematics, and have consistently created beautiful cinematics ever since...
This does not look like a Blizzard cinematic, this looks like fucking Beowulf, people didn't ask for Beowulf, goddammit!

Also noticing a painful lack of dwarves, but it may just be that they kept them out of the trailers and feature more heavily in the movie itself, we'll see...

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
No dwarves, no elves, no zombies, no draenei, no mention of the Burning Legion... all known cast are playing orcs or humans. On top of that, just listen to the acting. Ragnar and Paula seem to be the only ones actually giving a damn and not just phoning it in. Finally, the whole plot is basically Avatar IN FANTASY!

Yeah, this is gonna suck. When people saw the WoW cinematics and said "Wow! That should be a movie!" Blizzard should have just given the animation department a few million and said "go nuts."

On the other hand, Fimmel seemed to be enjoying himself, and I'm a big fan of Vikings so I'll probably still see it.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
About 6 or so years late, I'm afraid. That particular ship has left port long ago.

And where's me sodding d0rfs?! I can understand why Tauren or the blue Bysanthian/Jewish space-goats can't be present in the timeline, but the d0rfs were right there, far as I remember!

If I have to sit through more Orcs of OrcCraft: Tales of Orcy Orcs & Pork, I'm going to throw up. Couldn't Metzen pull a Liberace and marry some bodybuilder bloke who'll agree to undergo some cosmetic surgery?

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
kael013 said:
No dwarves, no elves, no zombies, no draenei, no mention of the Burning Legion... all known cast are playing orcs or humans. On top of that, just listen to the acting. Ragnar and Paula seem to be the only ones actually giving a damn and not just phoning it in. Finally, the whole plot is basically Avatar IN FANTASY!

Yeah, this is gonna suck. When people saw the WoW cinematics and said "Wow! That should be a movie!" Blizzard should have just given the animation department a few million and said "go nuts."

On the other hand, Fimmel seemed to be enjoying himself, and I'm a big fan of Vikings so I'll probably still see it.
Well to be honest Dwaves and Elves don't show up till later in the Second War. It was in the Second War that the alliance was formed to stop the horde from taking the northern realms. The Undead won't show up till Arthas gets corrupted which is way later, and the Draenei won't show up till long after the third war. From what I have seen around the net in regards to the Burning Legion is that there are connections just not in name yet.