Blizzard Reveals Warcraft Movie Trailer

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So those orcs look fucking silly next to normal humans. I'm sorry, but I can't take those cartoonishly huge tusks serious in any way. The CGI looks wonky, but what CGI heavy movie doesn't these days.

And yes, they should've had Blizzard run the look of the movie, because those distinctly fetching visuals seem completely absent. This trailer has that bland Narnia look to it.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
It looks horribly bad both from a visual and story perspective. Couldn't they have gone with any of the great Warcraft story arcs that would have at least made for an enjoyable and nostalgic ride? Like the war against the burning legion in WC3 or even the first games?

Even the trailer looked like it was packed full of cheese.

edit: and what's with the music? Whatever you say think about it, few will deny that WoW was packed to the brim with awesome music. Instead we get this generic bass-heavy beat. Ugghhh.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Coreless said:
Oh god, they are seriously going to retcon the whole story into nothing but orcs fighting humans aren't they?

First it starts by saying that they are leaving Draenor because its "dying"; they left because Gul'dan tricked the orcs into invading Azeroth so that he could find the Tomb of Sargeras. No hints of the Burning Legion at all in the trailer which to me is a little concerning considering how big they are in the Warcraft EU.

It looks like Thrall gets sent down a river moses style, instead of being left for dead by assassins and found by Proudmoore. Also looks like Garona is more half human instead of half draenei.

Overall it looks as expected I just hope they don't sacrifice too much of the original story.
... Have you not read the manuals for Warcraft 1 and 2? Draenor was a dead world, killed by the Orcs under command of Gul'Dan and Ner'zhul. However, it seems they're conflating Warcraft and Beyond the Dark Portal...

But I'm wondering what the hell Garona - the one who MURDERED King Wrynn, is doing...

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
Y'know something, I've been playing a lot of Hearthstone (the warcraft TCG) and in there is a pirate riding a parrot the size of a sedan. If a Pirate riding a parrot, leading a flock of other pirates riding parraketes shows up in this movie I will watch this day one. There also need to be a seen of said parrot cracking open some poor moron's armor like a sunflower seed.

R Man

Dec 19, 2007
After seeing the trailer I'm not exactly thrilled. I remember that in the first two games, the orcs were unashamedly dicks. Even accounting for Demonic influence, they are still militant and warlike. Even in the third game, there are still portrayed as violent, and, as Hellscream makes clear, Thrall is somewhat naieve to believe that their evil was solely the fault of the demons.

Now, I am all for nuance, and shades of grey. But it is possible to do this poorly. By making the orcs just 'guys' the sting can easily be taken out of the narrative. I'm not saying that will happen, but my hopes are not high.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
That looked... cheap.
Can't pin point it but kind a like Dungeons & Dragons. And the trailer gives away too much.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Oh look, a bunch of naysayers and highly critical people just on the first page. What a surprise!

Everyone is so damned negative and cynical these days.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
While I do find it weird that there is no mention of the Burning Legion, and their attempt to make the Orcs less evil and more "neutral, but desperate", even when in 1 and 2, most of the Orcs would be evil because of the Burning Legion and Shadow Council's Influence, I think it could be good. I'll go see it if it is.

Azkar Almsivi

Sep 3, 2012
BoogieManFL said:
Oh look, a bunch of naysayers and highly critical people just on the first page. What a surprise!

I know right? I am obsessed with Warcraft lore and played back when I was little all the way up until quitting WoW in WoD. I'm hyped as all hell for this. Even more so than Starwars.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
BoogieManFL said:

Al right, I can understand why you'd think that, but I'd like to make it clear that I'm not being negative because I'm le cyniclal misantrope. Being cynical for cynicism's sake is just being too chicken to take emotional risk.

I'm negative towards this movie because it doesn't look particularly promising. It looks a bit cheap, and doesn't have the colour and dash I'd expect of a Warcraft film. I think it's the live-action, mainly, it doesn't seem to work side-by-side with the more stylistic elements. And while it's not possible to tell for sure from so little acting shown, it does look like the actors aren't having very fun with it either.

As for my Orc-related whinging, it's just because I'm so tired of them. It's a personal gripe, I know, but by God am I green-fatigued. They've been front and center for years now, they've had one and a half expansions for themselves.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Muspelheim said:
BoogieManFL said:

Al right, I can understand why you'd think that, but I'd like to make it clear that I'm not being negative because I'm le cyniclal misantrope. Being cynical for cynicism's sake is just being too chicken to take emotional risk.

I'm negative towards this movie because it doesn't look particularly promising. It looks a bit cheap, and doesn't have the colour and dash I'd expect of a Warcraft film. I think it's the live-action, mainly, it doesn't seem to work side-by-side with the more stylistic elements. And while it's not possible to tell for sure from so little acting shown, it does look like the actors aren't having very fun with it either.

As for my Orc-related whinging, it's just because I'm so tired of them. It's a personal gripe, I know, but by God am I green-fatigued. They've been front and center for years now, they've had one and a half expansions for themselves.
Well the new World of Warcraft Legion Cinematic Trailer is Orc-Free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYNCCu0y-Is

And seriously how can you say this movie looks "Cheap?"

And what do you mean no color I mean the image of Westfall looks pretty colorful.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
If you're going to have that much shitty CGI, at least make all of your characters utilize it so that there's a good amount of consistency. The difference between the CGI orcs and the "real" orcs is noticeable to the point of distraction. Maybe it's the art style they're going for, but IMO, it really doesn't mix well with the live action stuff. I kind of wish they just went all out with the CGI and did something Pixarish. Instead, it's jarring and some of the effects look like they're only a step above an Asylum movie.

As someone who has never really followed the Warcraft story, it doesn't do a very good job of getting me interested.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Another thing that jarred me was the footman armor. It looks really weird when its "real".

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
RedDeadFred said:
If you're going to have that much shitty CGI, at least make all of your characters utilize it so that there's a good amount of consistency. The difference between the CGI orcs and the "real" orcs is noticeable to the point of distraction. Maybe it's the art style they're going for, but IMO, it really doesn't mix well with the live action stuff. I kind of wish they just went all out with the CGI and did something Pixarish. Instead, it's jarring and some of the effects look like they're only a step above an Asylum movie.

As someone who has never really followed the Warcraft story, it doesn't do a very good job of getting me interested.

This anti CGI stance is the most annoying thing that has plauged movie criticism for long time now. I mean no one gave Beowulf a chance because of how "Uncanny Valley it looks"

I mean for goodness' sake can you just appreciate the hard work these CG animators had to go through the make the Orcs look as realistic as possible. I mean jeez they added tiny little hair follicles in their bare skin :p

Imagine if you were the animator and designer of the Orc models in this movie and everyone is shit talking your work without mercy? I'm sure its not that easy making detailed realistic textured Wacraft Orc for a live action movie.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
LetalisK said:
Another thing that jarred me was the footman armor. It looks really weird when its "real".
Thats because the Armor the Humans wear is real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFG1PnUgjps

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
Well, with orcs and human armors, they should've gone with something less outrageous and cartoonish, and a little more realistic, considering they have live actors for the humans. Sure, their Orcs look just like the games' ones, but they're definitely too bulky compared to humans.

That said, it's clear this movie deals solely with WC1 "Orcs vs Humans", and at best will cover it all, though I'm not even sure they'll do all of it - until its bitter end. Still, it's known the main baddies will be Medivh and Guldan. As for other races, most didn't even exist when they made Warcraft 1. Heck, even the Legion didn't have a real presence at the time - after all they only really show up in WC3, like elves, undead and taurens.
Bringing all of these in the very first movie would kill it pretty fast. There's a limited amount of new stuff you can bring in a 2-hours movie before it becomes a hopeless mess.

Not really convinced by the CGI, but that was expected. I hope it'll look ok on big screen, though.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Well the new World of Warcraft Legion Cinematic Trailer is Orc-Free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYNCCu0y-Is

And seriously how can you say this movie looks "Cheap?"

And what do you mean no color I mean the image of Westfall looks pretty colorful.
Well, true, Legion does seem to be a bit more balanced. It's difficult to say if it'll remain that way, but it's a step forward.

As for the other questions in order:

What I mean by "cheap" is that it seems... Phoned in, the armour and props look fine at a glance, but there's some sort of blandness to it. It's shiny and follows the established style, but it looks plastic, pristine. The CGI is well done, but I think mixing such a heavy dosage of it with live action is a mistake. It makes it look like one is filler for the other. The human actors look out of place in big, CG vistas in their plastic kit, particularly in comparison to the Orcs. It'd been better to animate the lot, stylising the human actors to the point where they "fit" with the setting.

It's a bit like the Narnia film. While it looked pretty at a glance, it tended to look plastic and bland at a closer look.

As for colourful, I meant it figuratively. The film certainly does have colour, but Warcraft has always struck me as a dashing adventure. There's always been big wars, big heroes, big villains and a lot of death and destruction, but it's been underlined by big fun, as well. It's the kind of world with gurgling fish-people in every pond to play the darker themes off of. This seems a lot more muted, and it looks more like a Heroes of Might and Magic intro than a Warcraft story.

None of this is to suggest they haven't done hard work. But the decisions to mix live action with that much CG, the choice of plot line and the understated, generic tone are not doing the film any favours.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Coreless said:
Oh god, they are seriously going to retcon the whole story into nothing but orcs fighting humans aren't they?

First it starts by saying that they are leaving Draenor because its "dying"; they left because Gul'dan tricked the orcs into invading Azeroth so that he could find the Tomb of Sargeras. No hints of the Burning Legion at all in the trailer which to me is a little concerning considering how big they are in the Warcraft EU.

It looks like Thrall gets sent down a river moses style, instead of being left for dead by assassins and found by Proudmoore. Also looks like Garona is more half human instead of half draenei.

Overall it looks as expected I just hope they don't sacrifice too much of the original story.
EU is supposed to mean expande universe?

because Warcraft's universe is it's own and fully canon, the point of the Expanded Universe terminology is that people outside of the creators have been expanding upon it.