14 year old shoots parents, blames video games

adamsaccount

Jan 3, 2013
Desert Punk said:
adamsaccount said:
I also think that having less guns around could in some circumstances stop these kinds of things from happening but its not my job to formulate policy for the USA.
Actually, I think in this case if he had gone with a knife he would have done MUCH more damage.

he had a .22 caliber weapon (Hell they can own those in the UK!) and if you can get close like he did to sleeping folk, a knife would be far, far more deadly
Maybe, its all speculative.
Just for the record though you need a certain class of fire arm license for any calibre of pistol in the uk and very few people have them.

BigSarge04

Aug 24, 2011
From the article:
"Investigators report that Brooks allegedly admitted he had wanted to kill his parents for years, and that he may have been pushed over the edge after they grounded him and deprived him of his video games."

You cant blame video games for the violence, they took away something he liked, this would be if the kid played with hot wheels and they took those away and he shot them due to being angry that they were gone, this kid has failed at blaming violent video games, but I'm sure the story will change and videogames will end up getting blamed because everyone plays them now.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
Jiefu said:
"He said he just heard over and over in his head that he would be able to do whatever he wanted if he killed his parents."

Yeeeeeeeaaaaahhhh, it wasn't the video games. This kid is clearly mentally ill. He needed psychiatric care, not a surveillance system.
I'd assume that he needs both now.

FilmDude89

Jan 6, 2013
Well that's terrible news.

I'm a little curious as to what kind of parent just sets up surveillance cameras all around the house instead of talking to their kid. Seems like it was a pretty bad place to live for anyone, let alone a child.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Terminate421 said:
God fucking dammit. Another one, of course he blames them because he's a fucking kid.

Take some responsibility and stop hurting our industry you assholes.
Ironically, its the news reporters that are hurting the industry by publicizing and spreading this type of news. Don't make a big deal out of something and it will be forgotten.

These types of things happen all the time, there are too many people in the world. If you don't want the gaming industries image to be hurt, don't spread news reports about this type of thing where they will get discussed and spread even further.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
michael87cn said:
Ironically, its the news reporters that are hurting the industry by publicizing and spreading this type of news. Don't make a big deal out of something and it will be forgotten.

These types of things happen all the time, there are too many people in the world. If you don't want the gaming industries image to be hurt, don't spread news reports about this type of thing where they will get discussed and spread even further.
But I think it is our responsibility to take notice of things like this and stay informed. Important people and the media are demonizing our hobby, and I think more people need to be discussing topics like this one. That way when politicians try and pass laws to tax or change our hobby, we can point out to them that the real problem lies with mental health care. Yes, there has been a trend of shooters turning out to be gamers, but people outside of our community aren't willing to think about the possibility that unstable people gravitate towards games, instead of games turning youth into unstable people.