14-Year-Old Whiz Kid Knocks Angry Birds Off Its Roost

royohz

Official punching bag!
Jul 23, 2009
You forgot to mention in the article that he's Norwegian (cuz you know, it's so IMPORTANT)! Good for him, but as many others say, the concept is very, very old.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
A correction: Lua is a scripting language not a programming language.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I got this game a couple of days ago and got to level 5/6 and dismissed it as a broken game. Maybe I was just playing it wrong :/

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
When I was 14, all I did was listen to music, hang around in town and whine about not being old enough to watch any good films.
This was 2008. Iron Man, a pretty damn epic film, came out that year and was a 12.

So not only was I a waster at the age of 14, I was a thick one. Screw this kid.

I jest, of course. Good for him. :)

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Ickorus said:
Im sure I saw that exact game online as a flash game years ago.
Thats how you succeed on a platform like iphone. Find a game material that has been done already, whether on consoles pcs or even flash. Create your own version of this game on iphone. ???. Profit.

Angry Birds weren't exactly original either. Artillery genre is 20 years old.

DarkShadow144

Nov 16, 2010
oh i just "love" seeing these kinds of stories and thinking "what the hell!? im in college learning to create games and this little kid already has a top selling game!?"
and before you say anything, yes, i am jealous...very jealous
but anyway, it is good work. i do hope this kid gets into game design

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Good on him. Looks quite fun.

I still prefer Angry Birds, though.

therealjeffa

Nov 15, 2010
Wow. So many thoughts on this are running through my head.

First and foremost, I congratulate Robert and his encouraging and tech-savvy mother on their amazing accomplishment. Attempting Objective-C? Evaluating multiple third-party dev kits to pick the one best suited to the project? Four thousand lines in a new language? Sticking with a project until it's done and shipped? Those are all laudable.

Second, the journalism on this story has been poor as it spreads through the media. Different stories conflict on how much help Robert got from his mother. One report even switches back and forth between saying they worked together and calling the game a "solo effort"...in the same article. But the biggest problem is the title claim. Bubble Ball didn't unseat Angry Birds, it unseated a stripped-down Christmas-themed trial version, Angry Birds Seasons Free. Apple's free app market is volatile, and the Angry Birds suite has not been dominating it. The full, paid version of Angry Birds is still king of its hill -- #1 from spring to October of 2010, according to Wikipedia, and also #1 steadily for at least the last two and a half months. But two other free games climbed ahead of ABSF within three days of Bubble Ball doing so. And ABSF had only been there four days to begin with (source: the App Store and fingergaming.com [http://fingergaming.com/2011/01/17/top-iphone-game-apps-eas-the-game-of-life-returns-to-charts/]). Yet Angry Birds Free (no "Seasons") was released at the same time and has yet to break the top 10, and Angry Birds Lite, still another stripped-down trial version, has been around since April. I don't know its full history, but it oscillated between 7th and 9th from December to early January, yet is 67th as I write this one week later.

Finally, I worry that most of Robert's success is not because he made a really good game but because the company that makes the development toolkit he used promoted his app and because the media went into a frenzy. Look at the timeline:

Dec. 29: launch
Jan. 7: 0.3M downloads
Jan. 9: picked as App of the Week
Jan. 14: 1.5M downloads, reached #1 free spot
Jan. 18: 3.0M downloads

Marketing, not game design or production values, coincides with the big surges. The initial 300k in nine days, though... That's the part I wish I had a better handle on. More importantly, Robert and his mom need a good handle on it. If they don't know how they succeeded this time, it'll be harder to do again. Worse, Robert may let it go to his head and be mislead for years about how good he really is. (To be blunt, that's very good any way you slice it, but regardless, it's healthier and more advantageous for him to have an accurate self-assessment.)

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
well, we can't all be game designers...

I'll just be the guy who taxes him to oblivion. muahaaha.

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
Well done, I reallllly want to go into game design, and i know it's hard, so well done. I still think infinity blade should be in the top 10

Emz

Jun 13, 2010
I've known someone who has programmed games since they were around 11 years old (now 22) ... So I guess to me it's not too new. But I think to have such drive at his age is always admirable, so good for him. :)

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
matrix3509 said:
Echer123 said:
Has anyone noticed that the popular games on the Iphone have tons of counterparts on the Internet?

I've probably played +50 flash games with the same shtick as Angry Birds and Bubble Ball.
Its cause most iPhone users are tards that will accept any recreation of a previously popular flash game as long as it has a different name. It also helps that its free. Pretty much every popular game for smartphones was already popular as a different title at least 5 years ago on Newgrounds.

While iPhone users are tards that will hype up anything, Android users are the smartphone equivalent to hardcore WoW players in that they complain about literally everything and cannot be pleased.
... I like my Droid.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
Sadly I have to agree with a few others on here. It's fantastic he made his own game, props to him, but very unoriginal. I could never do it mind you, I don't have the technological skills. I will praise him for being able to place something on the market and having the skills, but I can't wait to see him place out an original idea. :3

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Echer123 said:
I've probably played +50 flash games with the same shtick as Angry Birds
I even played flash games that had the same gameplay as Angry Birds way before AB even existed, so the gameplay itself is not really new. But they had a good idea to mix that with the polished cartoon characters and good marketing, plus the free updates and endorsment of many celebraties on Twitter and such certainly helped it go viral.