UPDATED - Jack Thompson-Authored Truth In Advertising Bill Passes Utah House

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
UPDATED - Jack Thompson-Authored Truth In Advertising Bill Passes Utah House

A Jack Thompson-authored bill that would put retailers in Utah at risk of being sued if they sell "violent or sexually explicit" videogames to kids after promising not to do so has been passed by the House and will now head up to the Senate.

Bill HB 353 amends Utah's Truth in Advertising Act to allow parents to file lawsuits against businesses who sell explicit material to minors in violation of pledges not to do so. The bill includes numerous loopholes and exemptions aimed at heading off opposition from the Utah Retail Merchants Association [http://www.utahretail.com/], which fears - rightly so - that the amendments could result in stores being sued even if they make honest efforts to avoid selling inappropriate games and movies to minors.

As a result of those amendments, stores have until January 1, 2010 to implement training programs that would exempt them from lawsuits, according to the Salt Lake Tribune [http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11826459], and retailers are also immune to civil suits if the buyer "intentionally misrepresented" his or her age at the time of purchase. Companies also have the option of simply not advertising that they won't sell age-inappropriate material to kids.

The bill has been criticized as yet another ill-conceived end-run around the First Amendment but Rep. Michael Morley, who introduced the bill on behalf of Utah Eagle Forum [http://www.utaheagleforum.org/] President and Jack Thompson ally Gayle Ruzicka, claimed otherwise. "This is not an attempt to regulate or to enforce ratings," he said. "This is simply a bill that is intended to encourage people who take a pledge and actively advertise that they will not sell to minors this age-inappropriate material [to follow through]."

"It's the right thing to do," he continued. "We have a responsibility to our children, to our families to make sure this media" doesn't end up in the hands of children.

While the large number of amendments to the bill have rendered it considerably changed from Thompson's original draft, he nonetheless claimed to be pleased with its passage in a brief comment to GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/03/03/breaking-jack-thompson-bill-under-discussion-utah-house]. "This is a huge victory for parents everywhere," he said. "The bill, by the amendments we fashioned, is better. Now we go on to the Senate, where I expect passage, with the Governor then likely to sign it into law!"

HB 353 passed the Utah House of Representatives by an overwhelming vote of 70-2. The full text of the amendments to the Truth in Advertising Act can be read here [http://le.utah.gov/~2009/htmdoc/hbillhtm/hb0353.htm].

UPDATE: Describing the bill as "a solution in search of a problem," Dan Hewitt, the senior director of communications at the ESRB [http://www.theesa.com/] rating system."

"The perverse effect of this bill is that Utah retailers will stop promoting the ESRB rating system, which has been applauded by media watchdog groups like the Federal Trade Commission [http://www.mediafamily.org/]," he continued. "In short, this is a step back for parents and undercuts the positive work of the ESRB and others who promote the tools and resources available to parents."

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
Yes what a victory for the parents, who will now be even more likely to buy these games for their kids. The problem isn't the retailers misrepresenting these games, it's the kids who do it to get their parents to buy it for them - when will people learn that the majority of games sold to those underage aren't by the gamers themselves walking into shops saying they're 18 but by the parents themselves.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I always thought it was dumb parents who bought these games for their kids rather than cunning kids duping the storeclerks. How wrong I was. Thankyou Utah Reps for showing me it was the stores fault all along.

WNxSajuukCor

Oct 31, 2007
Should we start the countdown on a violation of the 1st Amendment now and start a pool on how big the tax payers are going to have to spend to remove said bill?

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
WNxSajuukCor said:
Should we start the countdown on a violation of the 1st Amendment now and start a pool on how big the tax payers are going to have to spend to remove said bill?
Whatever the average cost of the US Supreme Court hearing a 1st Amendment case is.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Ya know, I'm not so sure that this bill is evil. I mean, what's wrong with prohibiting stores from selling violent videogames to kids? It's probably not addressing the real problem, but isn't this bill simply enforcing the law? Feel free to smite me with your logic as to why it's evil.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
gmer412 said:
Ya know, I'm not so sure that this bill is evil. I mean, what's wrong with prohibiting stores from selling violent videogames to kids? It's probably not addressing the real problem, but isn't this bill simply enforcing the law? Feel free to smite me with your logic as to why it's evil.
Apparently not. Though I think some states have similar laws about theatre owners being liable if they let children in to see movies whilst under the age rating.

Also, happy fun fact time: This is how the law already works in the entire rest of the damn world. If a retailer in the UK sells a game with an 18 rating to a 17 year old, the retailer is in the shit. Same for Australia, Germany, Japan (Albeit only with Z rated games), and pretty much every other country that actually sticks age ratings on things.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
So, does this bill/act/law (whatever stage it's in) mean that, even if it was the parent that bought the video game for the child, the retailer could be sued? Or is there a clause stating that the onus is on the parent(s) to prove that the retailer sold the video game to the minor, with intent to sell the explicit video game to the minor without the parents'/parent's concent?

ScratchyD

Mar 4, 2009
This bill is the legal equivalent of menacingly shacking your finger at people who have already promised to do their best to do the right thing while ignoring everyone who is stealing purses and throwing rocks at babies. All these retailers have to do is stop claiming that they refuse "M" rated game sales to minors, and they're automatically off the hook. This bill will no longer apply to them. Jack Thompson is a backwards brained idiot. I hate to just come out and insult the man(it's a bad way to argue), but that's what it boils down to. The bills he tries to pass are founded in his morals and created by his mind. This bill will accomplish the exact opposite of what it is designed to do. (Unless, of course, he has some scheme to use this outcome to bring undue hatred on the gaming community.)

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
All I can see in this resulting in the stores not advertising that they sell the games, or a ton of lawsuits. Either way, I don't see how anything good can come of this.

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
Yeah, this ain't going to do nothing. I know parents who have bough GTA:SA for their 11 year olds(although, in their defense, they do monitor the kids play and actively stop him from being violent outside of missions(and sometimes stop him from doing story missions) and involving in prostitution, etc.
I just used to pirate them(my parents refused to buy games for me, not matter what game, except educational).

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
I was raised by ultraconservative Evangelicals. My dad spent my whole school career making sure I didn't really believe in evolution and trying to keep me from watching the Addams Family. My mother "forbade" me from seeing a rated-R movie until I was a sophomore in high school.

And now I have a hard drive full of the filthiest contents of the Internet, I buy music videos by the Genitortures, and illegal narcotics may or may not be somewhere in close proximity to where I sleep.

Keep on the banning, Mr. Thompson. Preventing kids from being exposed to stuff only makes them so amazed by it when they inevitably find it that they gorge until they explode.

On a personal note, I thought Mormons were brighter than this.