15 Things Dead Space Taught Me

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Dumori said:
Fear isn't moral. One can raise moral or make fleeing worse than the big nasty xenos.
Morale*

Also, fear is one of the best motivators out there. If the troops are more afraid of their commanders than they are of the enemy, then they'll obey orders to their death. It's not the preferred method of operation, but it is quite effective.

Dumori said:
However that list is just mildly stupid. Destroying all corpses on a flaine ir heavy damage? What about medical technology in dayto day life not zombie attacks. Instantly blowing up all schools is pointless anyway. I'll tell you one thing I'd refuse to live in ANY state that required me to have a government controlled kill switch built into me.
I'm going to make this as clear as I can:

The OP was not serious in this list. It was nothing more than a joke poking fun at Dead Space, and how the OP would hypothetically prevent these problems from ever arising.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Mr Pantomime said:
Paragon Fury said:
6: Military weapons will now be the standard-issue equipment for all engineers everywhere.
I think that makes more sense
Maybe, but if you've ever played Dead Space, you'd know that the various mining tools are about a thousand times more effective than the military grade hardware you get. The assault rifle thing is next to useless on everything except the exploding babies and the dudes with the explody hands (and only then because they die in one hit from anything).

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Agayek said:
snip
spartan231490 said:
Please tell me you're not serious. Just please. Pretty much everything on this list is wrong for so many humanitarian reasons, or simply logistical reasons.

Really?
1) Amazing things come from religion, there are thousands of people who find purpose in life, not to mention comfort, in religion. The problem comes from power-hungry men, and if not religion, they will just become politicians(Hitler). Logistically, you can't ban people from thinking/believing anything, it doesn't work. If I tell you not to think about elephants, what do you do?

2) Logistically, every compartment is there for a reason, and jettisoning it will leave you poorly able to perform that purpose. Ejecting the power generation, life support, or engineering sections will leave you hard pressed to survive. Also, how do you eject a compartment in the middle of a ship, while leaving compartments on either side connected. Possible, but difficult. Also, if the whatever it is spreads too quickly, you might have to split the ship into 3 sections, good, good, and bad. Also, giving every compartment exterior hull grade walls would be expensive as hell. Humanitarianly, it's kinda obvious that ejecting innocent people when there might be a monster or something among them is at best, a last resort.

3) Space is the most valuable commodity on any isolated vessel like a space ship, dedicating 45% to power generation would dramatically increase costs and decrease functionality, for something that would only be useful in extreme circumstances. It would also make your power systems, which are almost definitely volatile, easy to hit and cause explosions that could rip your ship apart in ship to ship combat. two, three at most, different power sources, far separated from each other, is more than sufficient.

4) Desecrating corpses, horrible for so many humanitarian reasons. Also, what about resuscitation, you would cause so many premature deaths with this idea. Also, any transmissions from said tag would make the person easy for potential enemies to track.

5) Once again, logistics. With navigation, I can agree, but with auto-pilot, every human on the vessel is a level of redundancy. In-system redundancy is a waste of valuable space.

6) Military tech will be much, much more effective in 99% of all situations. For the other situations, power tools shouldn't be too hard to find. Industrial tools are also much more bulky, and very heavy.

7) From a humanitarian view, this is killing every potential survivor with a "purge" which might not even kill any invaders. If you vent to space, invaders may have suits, if you napalm the vessel, the enemy might not be vulnerable to fire, ect. The human body is extremely fragile, even in terrestrial terms. We have no idea what would or wouldn't harm any alien organisms. Besides, you can already blow up/overload the power system and destroy the vessel and do more harm to anything inside than any purge function.

8) Logistically, how could you stop them. An AI would have infinite patience and much more conscious processing power than any human, containing them in almost any system almost impossible, especially if those systems are controlled by individual humans who might not care about the law, or just make a simple mistake. Better off to never create AI.

9) Soooo many false alarms. Should we have squadrans of fighter jets patrolling the night skies everywhere someone was "abducted by aliens?" We would run out of aircraft before we covered a quarter of the locations, especially if you count seeing strange lights.

10) I am an engineering student, you would be amazed how stupid a lot of engineers are. I mean, have you seen some of the cities and intersections that engineers designed? Also, this pretty much eliminates all choice for anyone who isn't an engineer, not very humanitarian.

11) What if it's an airborne contagion? what if it's a vessel and the predators are equipping their shoulder cannons? Too many variables to do anything but look at it. We should, however, quarantine it immediately and only check it out under the heaviest security possible in a reasonable amount of time.

12) Just, humanitarian. Humanitarian. You know how many coworkers, or classmates fall in love every day? How many people just chilling at bars? Try to stop it, I dare you. You'd just drive them underground. Also, "interpersonal relationships" can provide just as much motivation as distraction, and are almost always more harm then good.

13) Just wow, not have an emergency team of marines on hand to save the children, but explosives rigged to blow them up. HUMANITARIAN NIGHTMARE.

14) Space, space, and more space. This is impossible, and wouldn't help in a real life situation. Guess what: when you get stabbed with a sword-shaped alien arm, you can't just slap a band-aide on it and move on. As I said before, human beings are fragile creatures, any trauma is much more likely to kill you then leave you able to fix it alone, or even with a surgeon for that matter. Also, most medical supplies would have to be devoted to treating diseases anyway.

15) Yes, chest/face high walls are useful, but you can't magically deploy any solid walls without wasting a high amount of immensely valuable space.

Yes really.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
spartan231490 said:
Wow.

I mean wow... You really went there didn't you?

I... I'm not really sure what to say now. I'm not one to just throw this around, but you've certainly earned it:

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
34. You are not to build any structure or space ship with an extensive, easily navigable ventilation system. If a large vent is require then it is to be divided into several smaller vents taking up roughly the same space.

edit: Jesus, why is everyone taking this guy so seriously? It's a joke! He's not actually telling them to implement these things in the future.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Naheal said:
Questioning the Emperor is heresy. Thoughts of heresy create impurity. Prepare to be purged.
"There is only the Emperor, and He is our shield and protector."

The Imperial Guard shall purge these foul xeno's in his name!

(Always nice to see another 40K fan around here. :D)

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Very informative. When I finally build my own personal spaceship the size of texas, I will take these things under consideration.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Agayek said:
spartan231490 said:
Wow.

I mean wow... You really went there didn't you?

I... I'm not really sure what to say now. I'm not one to just throw this around, but you've certainly earned it:

Exactly what should I have said? I expressed my opinion on his post, that's what the thread is about. Then you mocked me, so I expounded, on the tiny chance that instead of being a d-bag, you honestly didn't understand. That's the last time I give you the benefit of the doubt.

Honestly, why shouldn't I point out the flaws in his argument? I should just say "lol" and move on? I knew he wasn't serious, but why post it if he didn't want some kind of feedback? And if he wanted feedback, what should I have said? "That's funny, you should totally run for president! Great ideas!" Honestly, that roaring sound mentioned in a thread a few weeks ago is filling my head right now. "It's ARKANSAS. The STATE."

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
35) When an obviously insane person picks up a screwdriver, you take it away from them immediately! Don't just yell at them, take it away and have them sit in the corner of the room. You'll keep your eyes that way!

bite_me43

Nov 22, 2009
Naheal said:
Paragon Fury said:
Naheal said:
Paragon Fury said:
1: In the future, all religion shall be banned. Nothing good ever comes from it. EVER.
The Emperor approves. Worship of him is not a religion, it is the only truth.
Am I allow to point out that said worship is ironically the biggest weakness holding back humanity, or is that not allowed?
Questioning the Emperor is heresy. Thoughts of heresy create impurity. Prepare to be purged.
"Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people.
those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live."

-ripped from WH40K rulebook

rvdm88

Jun 11, 2008
34. Fluorescent lights are to be BANNED on any ship or offworld colony, instead LED lights will be the standard, along with a backup battery attached to every light source.

35. In the event a alien thread is detected all stores will drop their price to zero on all the items they sell. Theres probably no one from the company that would empty the stockpiles of those store units after such a event.

36. Traintracks and Train tunnels will have flame throwers permanently active whenever the tracks are not in use. This will prevent any build up of aliens in those area's

37. In case of a Quarantine procedure, lights will NOT dim and be replaced with low intensity red ones. Instead additional lights will engage during the quarantine procedure to blind anything not intelligent enough to equip a RIG helmet.

38. If a video or audio log is made while vital signs degrade or stop, the videolog is to be automatically terminated and deleted out of respect for the people that died while doing a log.

39. When developing a RIG suit, emergency spotlights that cover both the back and front will be mandatory.

40. Every RIG will have to include pads of explosive armor on their backs, that automatically detonates if it is approached from behind.

41. Windows will have emergency doors with automatic atmospheric pressure detection that automatically trigger if a window breach is detected.

42. Any scientist caught researching or experimenting with alien technology will be immediately ejected from the nearest airlock, along with their research equipment and results.

43. All walls and floors will be coated in a nonstick self-cleaning nano coating capable of breaking down red blood cell's within 30 minutes.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
spartan231490 said:
Exactly what should I have said? I expressed my opinion on his post, that's what the thread is about. Then you mocked me, so I expounded, on the tiny chance that instead of being a d-bag, you honestly didn't understand. That's the last time I give you the benefit of the doubt.

Honestly, why shouldn't I point out the flaws in his argument? I should just say "lol" and move on? I knew he wasn't serious, but why post it if he didn't want some kind of feedback? And if he wanted feedback, what should I have said? "That's funny, you should totally run for president! Great ideas!" Honestly, that roaring sound mentioned in a thread a few weeks ago is filling my head right now. "It's ARKANSAS. The STATE."
You took an obvious joke, and believed it to be serious. Really, that sums up the answer to all of your questions.

The vast majority of the time, when people joke, it's to get a laugh out of people. It requires no feedback other than whether or not you think it funny.

If you really must give feedback, it certainly doesn't do to give serious feedback or, even worse, be a killjoy about the whole thing.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Agayek said:
spartan231490 said:

You took an obvious joke, and believed it to be serious. Really, that sums up the answer to all of your questions.

The vast majority of the time, when people joke, it's to get a laugh out of people. It requires no feedback other than whether or not you think it funny.

If you really must give feedback, it certainly doesn't do to give serious feedback or, even worse, be a killjoy about the whole thing.
I didn't believe it to be serious. Jeez, I was being satirical, because he posted a thread where you couldn't post anything with legitimate value. Any post that addresses the topic is either "lol" or more bad jokes about what people learned from dead space. so, I addressed the topic in a semi-serious nature to draw attention to the fact that it had no value. Don't bother responding, I've wasted enough of my time on this thread.

lololololol
Happy now?

Verex

May 31, 2010
If everything looks spooky and quietlike, plant explosives and say adios to the whole damn space center. It's not worth your ass.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
dead space should only have taught you one thing
1. The basic gun is perfect, don't bother spending a cent elsewhere

Sacul

Sep 27, 2009
spartan231490 said:
Agayek said:
spartan231490 said:

I didn't believe it to be serious. Jeez, I was being satirical, because he posted a thread where you couldn't post anything with legitimate value. Any post that addresses the topic is either "lol" or more bad jokes about what people learned from dead space. so, I addressed the topic in a semi-serious nature to draw attention to the fact that it had no value. Don't bother responding, I've wasted enough of my time on this thread.

lololololol
Happy now?
You were being satirical? Seriously? You gave an entire essay on why logically the jokes the OP were making would be dumb in real life.

Does it really matter if the topic doesn't have 'value'? There is a topic about the best box art for a video game, does that have 'value'?

You know, some people who read the OP were amused, some laughed out loud, and finally some thought it wasn't funny in the slightest. They left and let everyone else have their fun. You stayed and tried to ruin it.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
45. Air ducts should not be large enough for blood thirsty abominations to crawl through.

ArMartinez02

Mar 10, 2010
I still think that religion will ruin everyones lives in the future one day. I so agree with rule #1