Videogames Are Making You Fat

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Videogames Are Making You Fat

People today are fat, lazy slobs, and it's all the fault of videogames.

So says Dr. Keith of The Sun [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/health/health/drkeithhopcroft/article1615524.ece], who wrote that while the number of men engaging in regular exercise has grown very slightly over the past eight years, the increase comes primarily from middle-aged white guys, while younger men - particularly "non-white and low earners" - are actually exercising less. And while things like expensive gym memberships and the vagaries of city life are acknowledged as contributing factors, Dr. Keith thinks the real problem is something closer to home. "I'm talking about computer games," he said.

"All those leisure hours we used to fill with climbing trees or kicking balls have gone," he continued. "Because we're all too busy clicking on consoles with eyes glued to a screen. I recently caught my teenage kids playing virtual tennis. There's a tennis court down the road, but instead of getting fresh air, they were wearing out our carpet, their thumb joints and my patience."

Luckily, the good doctor has some advice for all the women out there who are tired of watching their men turn into bloated sacks of crap. "Tell him to get on his bike - if necessary, buy him a new one," he said. "Get him a dog - it'll need walking. By him." And if all else fails, ladies - and you're prepared to make the sacrifice - you can always let him have a little nookie. "Invite him to bed," Dr. Keith suggested. "Sex isn't great exercise but is better than nothing."

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Video games make me out of shape, they don't make me fat. I don't need a report telling me that, though. And what a sexist doctor, seriously.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Sounds like an old guy who doesn't "get" games. But he may have a point, however when I didn't have videogames... I played with Lego. I've never liked sports and exercise bores me.

Rshady

Jul 22, 2008
I read up to 'the Sun' then i realised that it wasn't a serious article :D

What next a scientific study in the daily mail? :D

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
Yeah, cause video games force you to play them while cramming all those cheetos down your gullet...

I blame chairs. If they were less comfortable we wouldn't be so fat and lazy!

hiandhappy

Aug 15, 2008
ok how many pepole need to make stories like this? seriously since WII fit came out ive read maybe 40 stories about how,oh video games making your kids fat,and video games causing cancer, or crap along that line.its moronic because A.video games dont make you fat technically,its the crap you eat and drink while playing games that make you fat and now B.i love how pregidous most news companys are toward video games as opposed to calling it lazyness and fatty foods that make you fat not video games themselfs.but there is one thing ill give this doctor ill take sex over playing a video game every single time.

exoneuk

May 1, 2008
Videogames are not directly causing me to shove a pie into my face or mouth or wherever it tends to go.

That would be me doing that. However, I do not like pie and consider myself to be of a normal weight, BMI of 20.5 in fact so NYEH to you science.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
Hmmmm....... sexist reporter telling me to be more active.......play video games.....I wonder which one I will choose?

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Codgo post=7.69901.674534 said:
I wouldn't wipe my arse with The Sun, its nothing.
True, but...

The worst paper in The Galaxy said:
And if all else fails, ladies - and you're prepared to make the sacrifice - you can always let him have a little nookie. "Invite him to bed," Dr. Keith suggested. "Sex isn't great exercise but is better than nothing."
She might have a plan...hmm..I should tell my girlfriend about this.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
We don't want to go outside, it's hot, we sweat, we hate it when our friend keeps beating us and keeps on bragging, we hate being the last one chosne, we hate it when we can't find someone else to play with, and we just don't like the sun. And at the end of the day, what did we acomplish? Did we win a world cup? Did we save the world? Did we visit another planet? I don't think the world will let us do that.

I say a CPU is a good alternative, if only for a while ;)

TJ rock 101

May 20, 2008
let me tell you this, i spend a good six hours playing video games a day (whether it be WoW or hurt-your-hand guitar hero) but i have a bike, live on a farm and have a dog, i only spend about 10mins - an hour on all of them and i am still incredibly thin, take that!

TJ rock 101

May 20, 2008
Jumplion post=7.69901.674620 said:
We don't want to go outside, it's hot, we sweat, we hate it when our friend keeps beating us and keeps on bragging, we hate being the last one chosne, we hate it when we can't find someone else to play with, and we just don't like the sun. And at the end of the day, what did we acomplish? Did we win a world cup? Did we save the world? Did we visit another planet? I don't think the world will let us do that.

I say a CPU is a good alternative, if only for a while ;)
Amen bother!

Ronmarru

Aug 17, 2008
Dr. Keith said:
I recently caught my teenage kids playing virtual tennis. There's a tennis court down the road, but instead of getting fresh air, they were wearing out our carpet, their thumb joints and my patience.
You caught your kids playing games? Were they not supposed to in the first place? Maybe they didn't want to go through the physical exertion and instead of watching TV, they played virtual tennis. Oh, and how dare they wear out your carpet! They know not to stand on it!

Dr. Keith said:
Invite him to bed,...Sex isn't great exercise but is better than nothing.
Not only are you sexist but are a pedophile too. I thought we were talking about kids here.

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
"All those leisure hours we used to fill with climbing trees or kicking balls have gone"
Because, you know, the average gamer is 10. Oh wait....

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9342

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
HomeAliveIn45 post=7.69901.674655 said:
"All those leisure hours we used to fill with climbing trees or kicking balls have gone"
Because, you know, the average gamer is 10. Oh wait....
Haha, nice one. The doc should look into it more then just talk out of the ass.