Jack Thompson Authored Game Bill Introduced In Utah

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Jack Thompson Authored Game Bill Introduced In Utah

Disbarred and disgraced though he may be, former attorney Jack Thompson still seems to have some traction in Utah, where he's convinced a state legislator to introduce a bill he's authored that seeks once again to regulate the sale of videogames.

Rep. Mike Morley has introduced the bill, apparently at the urging of Gayle Ruzicka, president of the conservative group Salt Lake Tribune [http://www.utaheagleforum.org/], and apparently believes that unlike past attempts at legislating game sales, this one won't be hung up by pesky First Amendment concerns.

"It doesn't define what content is 'harmful to minors,' so we avoid the phony First Amendment arguments Hollywood loves to make," Thompson wrote in a recent Deseret News [http://deseretnews.com/article/content/mobile/1,5143,705282238,00.html?print] article. "The bill simply states: If you promise the public you don't sell adult-rated entertainment to kids, then you had better be telling the truth, because if a parent catches you selling this stuff to his or her kids, then you're guilty of fraud under the Truth in Advertising Law."

Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff, who Thompson demanded be impeached [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84826-Jack-Thompson-Given-Freedom-Award] back in 2007, said he understands that the new bill will be different than earlier versions but is apparently having trouble nailing down any details because "they keep changing the language." He did note, however, that the "evidence" Thompson quotes in his assertions that games turn kids into cop killers haven't held up in court.

Thompson's support base appears to have eroded to the point where only the most extreme groups are willing to give him the time of day. While Utah has a reputation as being perhaps a bit on the fringe of U.S. states, the Utah Eagle Forum, described as "ultra-conservative" by Red menace [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/02/03/utah-legislator-will-sponsor-jack-thompson-video-game-bill] and numerous other issues.

Of course, Thompson's claim that the new bill will avoid "phony First Amendment" concerns is nothing new: Most of his previous efforts to legislate game sales were accompanied by similar statements, and all were declared clearly unconstitutional by the courts - but not before costing thousands of taxpayer dollars in legal fees and damage awards. This, unfortunately for residents of Utah, will almost certainly be more of the same.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
This dosn't seem too bad. It seems to just be making it so R games can't be sold to under 18s. What's the problem? That's already in law over here.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I don't care either, I just hope Mr Thompson has his facts straight this time. The Sims did not have any naughty parts, if you removed the censor, there was nothing underneath!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Is Utah like the bin where America puts all it's particularly mad crackpots then?

Must be all that desert.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
wingshot said:
Utah...please just stop alright, I really am hating the stereotypes you bring upon my fellow Americans. Please, if you are reading this, most of us Americans aren't obese crazies...its just that our obese crazies are very, very loud and managed to steal a megaphone when we were in the bathroom.
Hear, hear. He also makes conservatives look like fools by claiming to represent them, so that makes me doubly annoyed (same principle). Granted, we do a very poor job of policing our ranks for crazies, but still; he who would sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither.

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
Between the pie in the sky liberals and the numb-nut conservatives, the whole next generation is going to be militant libertarian.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
This bill isn't intended to make it illegal to sell adult games to kids. What this bill does is turn one crime into an unrelated crime, with a much harsher penalty. He wants selling games to under-aged persons to be considered fraud. That's like claiming that TPing a house should be considered attempted murder. Once again, Jack Thompson shows off his incredible disbarment superpowers. If only he could perform that trick twice.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Dude, it's just Utah.
It's not even a fuckin' state.
I think it might be a state, I'll need someone to back me up on that though, I'm not sure.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Just when you thought he was killed off, his hand pops out his grave!

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Fuck, Jack Thompson is like something out of a slasher movie. He never dies. Just when you think you've seen the last of him and you can finally breathe easier, he comes from behind and guts you.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
sv93 said:
Thats bill is definitely fair. Selling R games to under 18's is not allowed anywhere is it? Still not as bad as Michael Atkinson.
Hard to say until they present a final version. The problem with a law that says you can't sell "adult content" to minors is that we all have different definitions of what constitutes adult content.

If the state legislature, or a judge, or Jack Thompson, is the one deciding if it's adult or not then it's unconstitutional. If a jury is deciding if it is adult content, then it might fly in court. But that begs the question...why have the law in the first place if you have to pay a jury every time to review the game?

lijenstina

Jun 18, 2008
"The lunatic is on the grass.
The lunatic is on the grass.
Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs.
Got to keep the loonies on the path..."