House of the Dead: Overkill Sets F-Bomb Record

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
House of the Dead: Overkill Sets F-Bomb Record

Guinness World Records has determined that House of the Dead: Overkill is the most profane game ever released, clocking in at almost 200 uses of the f-word.

It might not be topping sales charts, or even review charts, but House of the Dead: Overkill has topped another kind of chart and landed itself a Guinness World Record - for its profanity. The script for Sega's zombie-rail-shooter clocks in at a whopping 189 counts of the word "f**k."

That's no small feat, either, given that, if the press release [http://blogs.sega.com/europe/2009/03/16/hotd-overkill-the-hardcore-the-record-books-have-been-waiting-for/] is to be believed, the game itself only has about three hours of "relatively limited" dialogue. The combined f-bombs total up to more than a minute of swearing (at three f**ks per second). Another way of looking at it - the word makes up 3% of the game's entire script.

What other games can boast an impressive 1:33 f-word:non-f-word ratio, huh? Not many. The new record will be listed in the 2010 Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition. Kudos to Sega for this, uh, honor.

Can I get a "f**k yeah"?

(Joystiq [http://blogs.sega.com/europe/2009/03/16/hotd-overkill-the-hardcore-the-record-books-have-been-waiting-for/])

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Can I get a "f**k yeah"?
That about sums it up, honestly.

EDIT
I suppose I should actually say something here.

For the most part, House of the Dead has always been a particularly bizarre series. The titles almost seem intentionally poorly done (in all things but gameplay), with the art design, dialog, and voice acting all painfully silly.

The part of the charm is that it's so stinging to the equally oddball horror genre that it makes it a defining experience. So the monumental overuse may very well be appropriate for the game.

Though I'd have to argue that SEGA may have missed the mark a teensy bit. While it's still somewhat funny (and fitting for the 'Overkill' title) as a satire on the zombie movie, it's still out of place. Movies like Bad Santa are better for parodying overuse, while things like House of the Dead are better suited for other styles of mind-numbingly bad dialog.

Still funny. Just feels like SEGA shot for parody and ended with collateral damage by hitting the wrong industry.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Well it is somewhat tongue-in-cheek and is adequately summed up in its title, methinks.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
I'de like to see this game go against Samuel L. Jackson. "Who will win the battle of Mother F*cking Domination"

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
LOL. Oh man this article almost had me in tears. Not because the honor goes to House of the Dead but because it is for a Wii exclusive. I suppose this will put the Wii on the radar for people like Jack Thompson now.

DJPirtu

Nov 24, 2008
Now all we need is a video that edits all the uses of the f-word into one, condenced pack of 'Fuck'. Use of the surrounding words optional.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
None of the GTA games can match that? Pretty sure I heard at least that many f-bombs in GTA: San Andreas......

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Unless the Guinness folks did a side-by-side comparison with Kingpin, I'm calling bullf**k.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Sorta reminds me of that episode of South Park where they repeated the word "FUCK" over and over again.

What was that episode again? Oh yeah, all of them.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
...........FUCK YEAH!

The best thing is that my aunt has bought this for her 12 year old son after i recommended it for his birthday, she is going to kill me!

Jul 9, 2008
Reminds me of a Lewis Black routine, where he's talking about how a certain place wouldn't let him preform there because he said "fuck" 47 times at his last show. His response is also mine for this.

"So, wait a minute. Do you know what that means? They actually had a guy sit there watching the show going One fuck, Two fuck...!"

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
itsmeyouidiot said:
Sorta reminds me of that episode of South Park where they repeated the word "FUCK" over and over again.

Well, they did have an episode where they said 'shit' about 150 times. Complete with a counter.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
itsmeyouidiot said:

Yeah the "curse word" episode but it was the word "shit" not fuck and they said it 163 times.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Ranooth said:
...........FUCK YEAH!

The best thing is that my aunt has bought this for her 12 year old son after i recommended it for his birthday, she is going to kill me!
you are screwed dude