Man Chokes His Girlfriend With A Wii Controller

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Man Chokes His Girlfriend With A Wii Controller

A man in Austin, Texas has been Girl Scout cookies [http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/blotter/entries/2009/02/04/man_accused_of_choking_girlfri.html].

According to the arrest affidavit, when Christina Alvarado woke up to find all of her Girl Scout cookies eaten, she decided to not wait until later that day to give her boyfriend, Daniel Alvarez, a piece of her mind. Alvarez, however, was so upset that Alvarado had woken him up that he started yelling at her and then proceeded to put her in a choke hold which, Alvarado claims, lasted several seconds before she hit him in the eye and got free.

Eventually the two ended up in the living room, where things escalated when Alvarez pinned Alvarado to the ground, got on top of her, pressed his knees into her chest and grabbed what police are describing as a "Wii video game controller" and started to choke her with the cord. We all know that Wiimotes don't have cords, so maybe it was connected to a Nunchuk or maybe it was a Classic Controller? Anyway, Alvarado was able to break free quickly, at which point Alvarez, probably realizing he was in some deep doo doo, fled the scene. Alvarado called 911 and minutes later the cops had apprehended Alvarez.

If it all seems a bit outlandish to you, there is some damning evidence against Alvarez. When police arrived on the scene, they found Alvarado with a cord mark around her neck, struggling to breathe and speak. Alvarez is currently housed in Travis County jail with a bail of $40,000 and facing charges of aggravated assault with serious bodily injury. The charges carry up to 20 years in prison. I don't think there'll be Thin Mints or Wii Sports in there.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'm surprised something like this hasn't happend any sooner. The Wiimote's are really tempting to wrap around something.

Hope the girl is okay though.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
laikenf said:
Is she gonna sue Nintendo? That would not surprise me at all.
Somehow I doubt it. If he tried to beat her to death with a Guitar Hero Guitar I doubt a lawsuit against Red Octane would carry much weight, or suing Logitech if he tried to choke her with a Rock Band microphone.

Horrible story indeed. The Wii aspect does add some dark humor to it, along with the idea of someone getting so angry over eaten Girl Scout Cookies as to wake up their mate while sleeping. Wonder what kind of cookies they were. The peanut butter ones and the chocolate mints were always my favorites.

shadow_pirate22

Aug 25, 2008
Great, more ammo for the video game nay-sayers. "See? The Wii controllers can be used as deadly weapons! Ban them all!"

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Well, that just goes to show that you should ask before you eat your girlfriends girl scout cookies.
:p Tasty!

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
yourbeliefs said:
laikenf said:
Is she gonna sue Nintendo? That would not surprise me at all.
Somehow I doubt it. If he tried to beat her to death with a Guitar Hero Guitar I doubt a lawsuit against Red Octane would carry much weight, or suing Logitech if he tried to choke her with a Rock Band microphone.

Horrible story indeed. The Wii aspect does add some dark humor to it, along with the idea of someone getting so angry over eaten Girl Scout Cookies as to wake up their mate while sleeping. Wonder what kind of cookies they were. The peanut butter ones and the chocolate mints were always my favorites.
Thin Mints are worth killing over. I'm serious, I ordered 3 boxes a couple of weeks ago and they're on the way. When they get here nobody will be allowed in my home. It's for their own safety.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Look for an Ubisoft shovelware game coming soon to capitalize on this new kind of 'play': Wii Garrote!

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Codgo said:
I'm sorry but thats almost hilarious, thats so random.
i told this to a non gamer and they spent the next 3 mins laughing on the floor

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Hmm...this is an example of something that would be really quite funny if it didn't actually happen, in much the same way that the idea of falling off of a snowboarding rail is mcuh funnier than actually doing it.

I'll admit, I giggled too.