Man Chokes His Girlfriend With A Wii Controller

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
And they say that gaming is addictive. Some women need to learn where to stash their cookies.

Yes, playing the wii can lead to serious consequences.

I can see the next Wii safety warning: put strap on wrist, make sure that there are no objects in range, do not choke girlfriend.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I'm glad to hear of the beginning of the Wii's slow descent into crime and drugs that will eventually ruin it. Yes this is quite funny, though laughing at stories of domestic violence makes me feel sort of bad, since it's so common and often emotional for the people involved. But it's still funny.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
I have a question:

"...probably realizing he was in some deep doo doo, fled the scene. Alvarado called 911 and minutes later the cops had apprehended Alvarez."
"When police arrived on the scene, they found Alvarado with a cord mark around her neck, struggling to breathe and speak."
Wouldn't it have hindered her ability to call 911 if she was struggling to breathe and speak?

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Eruanno said:
I have a question:

"...probably realizing he was in some deep doo doo, fled the scene. Alvarado called 911 and minutes later the cops had apprehended Alvarez."
"When police arrived on the scene, they found Alvarado with a cord mark around her neck, struggling to breathe and speak."
Wouldn't it have hindered her ability to call 911 if she was struggling to breathe and speak?
People from 911 can tell if someone is in distress over the phone even when they cannot speak. Have you ever heard of the story of a dog calling 911 when their owner had a seizure? They can track the call and find the home rather quickly these days.

ShadowSharingan

Feb 5, 2009
laikenf said:
Is she gonna sue Nintendo? That would not surprise me at all.
Wouldn't surprise me either, I mean, Is it just me, or are they kinda getting desperate for systems and games to come up with to keep up with Sony and Microsoft? Hell, maybe if she does sue, it'd be a sign for Nintendo to just give up and pack up what they have... BEFORE they dig their graves any deeper. At least where they are now some dog of a company might one day dig it up and bring it back better! .... pfftaha, I'd totally worship whoever could do that. Seriously.
This is just my opinion though, I don't know what your guys' is, but don't hate me for speaking my mind.

khululy

Aug 17, 2008
we got strange people on this world...
sound like another case for *dramatic music*(might as well be wii music)

JACK THOMPSON!!!!

no serious... trying to strangle someone after you ate her cookies... so ungreatfull

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Well, of course it happens in Texas, but this is wonderfully droll; I wonder if he was just on a sugar high from all those cookies.

Assuming, that is, that he ate them...

I just noticed that Alvarez is the last name of the author of the book I'm reading, In the Time of Butterflies.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
As ever, it's totally irrelevant to video games, but it seems have the tinge of 'video games make you try to kill your girlfriend' despite the fact that if his headphones had been nearer he'd have used that cord instead, and if nothing had been to hand he's got his bare hands.

Sure it's bad but it seems to be another desperate attempt to link gaming and violence, however tenuous.

Or maybe I'm being paranoid.

No...

I know you all think I am, but I'm not, dammit.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
This is video game violence on a whole new level... I mean seriously? trying to choke someone with a controller cord? this takes some imagination...

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Am I the only who doesn't find this funny in the least? Male violence directed at their partners make want to go berserk and end the pathetic, primitive being of an ape-man. That hard to control oneself? Hell no. I've never had trouble with it. Get some willpower and empathy..

Jursa said:
This is video game violence on a whole new level... I mean seriously? trying to choke someone with a controller cord? this takes some imagination...
I would guess he just reached for the nearest object.

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
That's pretty sad. Who the hell tries to choke their girlfriend over cookies?

Eruanno said:
I have a question:

Operator: 911
Alvarado: *cough* *cough* fhelb me *cough* *cough*
Operator: Is this a prank call?
Alvarado: *cough* N *cough* oo *cough
Operator: That's it, I'm sending the cops to arrest you!
Alvarado: *cough* Tfhangks! *cough*

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Eruanno said:
I have a question:

I guess that's a valid point, but what about people calling 911 when there homes are full of smoke and they're coughing? I'm sure you'd be able to tell if something's up if you were on the other line.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
So, basically, he attacked her for... Waking him up? There's no way in hell that's the whole story.

That, or he's just a psychopath.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
Dang it, the entire time I was reading that I kept hoping this was another piece of joke news, like Decoy Doctorpus's story on the kids who tied their grandma's to a giant katamari ball.
Sounds like the girl is otherwise okay, what a moron this guy is. He gives us gamers a bad name.

Wini

Feb 4, 2009
Break said:
So, basically, he attacked her for... Waking him up? There's no way in hell that's the whole story.

That, or he's just a psychopath.
That maybe the case, but don't forget it actually states that the sitaution was escalated, this just may possibly means the fight had continued for a good 30 minutes or maybe an hour.
I'm from Australia, so I only have one thing to ask, why do these situations have a high chance of happening in America, even better, why is it hugely coming from Texas?!