Sony: Games and Movies on One Disc in 2009

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Sony: Games and Movies on One Disc in 2009

Sony promises advances in Blu-Ray technology that will soon allow one disc to hold both movies and videogames.

Despite the occasional claim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81982-Blu-Ray-Too-Measly-For-Solid-Snake] of a game requiring more than one Blu-Ray disc to fulfill its creator's vision, most PlayStation 3 games don't come close to filling its 50 gigabytes of storage space.

While chatting with Video Business [http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6636623.html?desc=topstory], Sony marketing director John Koller revealed Sony's novel plans to utilize the spare space on the average disc: By placing movies on the discs with games.

"We are actively pushing, and the way that we see the future is that the movie and the game are placed on the same disc," explained Koller. "There are a lot of developers who say, we have this game based on a movie, wouldn't it be great to marry these concepts? We will definitely see this stuff this year."

"The PS3 provides a unique ability to combine the best high definition movies and gaming experience with Blu-ray," said Lexine Wong, Sony's senior executive VP worldwide marketing. "Together with Sony Computer Entertainment, we are reviewing potential titles from both a movie and gaming perspective that would create a compelling hybrid for the consumer. It's a natural fit for this rapidly growing PS3 install base."

"This is a value message with the PS3," concluded Koller. "Consumers can capitalize on the larger amount of space with Blu-ray. There are grander experiences for movies or games."

Source: Video Business [http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6636623.html?desc=topstory] via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/11/sony-ps3-focused-movie-plus-game-blu-ray-discs-coming-this-ye/]

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Combining movies & games into one disc? what a completely pointless convenience. Sony swings n misses the mark yet again

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
Combining movies & games into one disc? what a completely pointless convenience. Sony swings n misses the mark yet again
Could be awesome for movie tie ins.
Then again the last really good movie tie in was Alien Resurection al the way back in 2001, forget that idea.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Just use the extra space by adding more features to each new game, and not rely on one or two flashy gimmicks. That is, instead of relying on a few good points to sell the game, like usual, add as many good things as they can (like better graphics AND better weapons, or story, or more characters and longer gameplay). The extra memory means that there is more potential for each game, and this just gets wasted as always.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Why isn't this a good idea? In the right hands and with the right imagination this could be the beginning of something.

RyePunk

Dec 5, 2008
Meh, I have no problems. If the game's crap, maybe the movie will be somewhat better.
Besides do you have any idea how times I've wished that after watching the movie I could play the tie-in video game without moving from my seat and simply play it and then vomit!

TheWickerPopstar

Dec 6, 2007
I want to be optimistic about this and hope that developers will use this concept of "marrying" media to create a new gaming experience of some kind, but I can't help but feel that it's just going to be a shoddy game thrown onto a movie disc. Something like Transformers or Ironman, perhaps.

If they think they can do this and raise the price of the game/movie...gamovie...past the $60 price, that's just crazy.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
This isn't much about putting movies and games in one disk, as it is more about him boasting the capabilities of blu-ray in the (hopefully) near future.

It'd be pretty cool. Nothing much, but nifty.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Jumplion said:
This isn't much about putting movies and games in one disk, as it is more about him boasting the capabilities of blu-ray in the (hopefully) near future.

Pretty cool but useless. Like a squirrel riding on a surfboard.

I don't feel the need to spend $600 on a Squirrel Riding on a surf-board. *sparks off the flames of another war and hides* muahahahahaa

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Jumplion said:

Pretty cool but useless. Like a squirrel riding on a surfboard.

I don't feel the need to spend $600 on a Squirrel Riding on a surf-board. *sparks off the flames of another war and hides* muahahahahaa
There's a time and place to start a flame war, I expect better of you Tsuny.

*marks off 10 points in your final grade*

And it's $400 now. We flip the 6 in 2006 over.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Its actually not that bad of an idea quite honestly...

Would you buy the blu-ray Edition of Narnia?

I wouldn't, I'm not shelling out $30 for that shit!
Would you dish out $30 for Lord of the Rings?
Harry Potter?

I sure in the hell wouldn't.

but....
If it included the shitty game based on the movie, based on the book, and having to pay $60 ($30 for the movie & $30 for the game) I might consider it. I mean, at least If one of my friends say 'hey, I havent seen that movie!' we can pop it in, watch it, then I can say 'well, if you thought that movie sucked, try the game!'

oh, and just so you know, Not all game adaptations of movie adaptations of books suck.
Ants Life video game rocked man.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Onmi said:
fanboy whinging
Explain to me why there is any benefit for shoving a movie and a game on the same disc except to get more money out of us. Oh that's right, there isn't.

And to think, I wouldn't have said anything if you hadn't decided the best counterpoint to everyone was whining.