We Need More Gamers

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
We Need More Gamers

The more people become interested in gaming, the less people will be writing idiotic laws and making ignorant policies to protect us from an imaginary threat.

Read Full Article

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I love table top games yet make fun of LARPers, does this make me bad?

Got a nice laugh over your maneuver to close by mocking your opening. I do get sick of hearing people complaining about video gaming and the like. I agree with introducing outsiders by starting them off in familiar territory, as crossing boundaries too early can lead to yet more stupidity (an instance of a high school crusade against animal violence comes to mind.)

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
I agree entirely. And you know what would be a good start? If some adventurous gamer got into politics or entrepreneurship, so there's higher ups 'in the know'. So there's someone on the senate, in the house of commons, someone that can stand up and say "I am a gamer, and I do not approve of this condescending!"

The fact that a gamer even got into such a position, making such a fact known, would cause people to stand back and think: if all that bad stuff they heard about gaming was true, could a gamer really get into politics?

Or we could...well...give out free Wii's and DS's. Lets give Jack Thompson a Wii and Wii Sports. I'm sure he has plenty of time on his hands these days, when he isn't busy trying to pass bills and get people to pay attention to him.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
Nope. Table top games are pretty normal, maybe they are "next to geekery". LARP crosses the line, just a little bit.

edit: I detest using the term "gamer" and "Wii" in the same sentence. Someone playing Wii Sports has no idea what's a normal game like.

Wii is not crucial to gaming. Motion control? Has been done with those guns that were used to point at the TV screen and shoot ducks off. No to mention that mouse is a superior controler in every way.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
"Instead of tinkering with ham radio, he could try to figure out how to get Crysis to run."

I found that funnier than you probably meant it to be. Anyway, I agree whole-heartily with your ideas, but I'm getting a lot of deja vu from your article on casual gamers.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Amen the barrier that is gaming is more lazy than tv should be gone, although games could stop asking for media anger, but then again i am someone who would gladly sacrifice things like GTA for better opions on gaming

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
Abedeus said:
DeadlyYellow said:
edit: I detest using the term "gamer" and "Wii" in the same sentence. Someone playing Wii Sports has no idea what's a normal game like.

Wii is not crucial to gaming. Motion control? Has been done with those guns that were used to point at the TV screen and shoot ducks off. No to mention that mouse is a superior controler in every way.
Whether you like it or not, the Wii IS a gaming console, and the Wiimote IS a gaming device. What you mentioned with the ducks is also a game and the practice of doing so is also gaming. Wii Sports and any other game making use of the Wiimote IS just as much a normal game as any game using a control pad. I can't even think of why any intelligent gamer would dismiss the Wii as a gaming console, especially since its the most gaming-oriented console of this generation.

I would go so far as to say the Wii is the MOST crucial system to gaming in this console generation. Take a look at the XBox 360 and PS3. Both consoles focused on taking steps AWAY from gaming and becoming a full 'media center'. Being able to play DVD's and blu-ray movies is not crucial to gaming. The Wii, through its use of the wiimote, actually made steps to make gaming more available to everyone, thus a crucial step for the gaming culture as a whole. Its an easier interface for people to adapt to than the standard video game controller, which is why the Wii is as successful as it is.

Just because it doesn't have as many games people would consider 'hardcore' as the other two systems doesn't make it any less of a gaming system or any less crucial to gaming.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Rodger said:
Abedeus said:
DeadlyYellow said:

Whether you like it or not, the Wii IS a gaming console, and the Wiimote IS a gaming device. What you mentioned with the ducks is also a game and the practice of doing so is also gaming. Wii Sports and any other game making use of the Wiimote IS just as much a normal game as any game using a control pad. I can't even think of why any intelligent gamer would dismiss the Wii as a gaming console, especially since its the most gaming-oriented console of this generation.
Kudos for insulting me so that a mod won't notice. The most gaming-oriented console? How about Xbox 360? Hardly a "movie" device, since most of the people already had a DvD player before buying it. Only PS3 can run Blu-rays. Also, Wii is for old people and kids. Even statistics show this.

I would go so far as to say the Wii is the MOST crucial system to gaming in this console generation. Take a look at the XBox 360 and PS3. Both consoles focused on taking steps AWAY from gaming and becoming a full 'media center'. Being able to play DVD's and blu-ray movies is not crucial to gaming. The Wii, through its use of the wiimote, actually made steps to make gaming more available to everyone, thus a crucial step for the gaming culture as a whole. Its an easier interface for people to adapt to than the standard video game controller, which is why the Wii is as successful as it is.
Better controls don't equal better gameplay. Like someone wise said, random stick waggling replaced random joystick waggling. Also, what's wrong when a console (like a PC, or a PS3) tries doing something more than just gaming? I'd say that's a better thing than just playing - at least you are using it for something more. That's like buying a $3000 PC and using it only for games.
Just because it doesn't have as many games people would consider 'hardcore' as the other two systems doesn't make it any less of a gaming system or any less crucial to gaming.
Actually, it kinda does. It's appealing to oldies and kids. People who have THE LEAST to do with gaming.

wowcrendor

Feb 19, 2009
I thought this was a great article. I love playing games such as Call of Duty 4 and hearing someone who is performing poorly use the excuse "You probably play this game more than me!" or "At least I have a life". I Counter them back with, "What about athletes or musicians? They play sports and write songs all day. They must have no life as well". Most people seem to relate gaming to being a nerd/geek (which I probably am), but this is hardly the case any more. Video games are growing more popular than TV and movies, but I'm not sure if it's for better or worse.

GamerMom

Mar 27, 2009
Abedeus said:
Rodger said:
Abedeus said:
DeadlyYellow said:

Kudos for insulting me so that a mod won't notice. The most gaming-oriented console? How about Xbox 360? Hardly a "movie" device, since most of the people already had a DvD player before buying it. Only PS3 can run Blu-rays. Also, Wii is for old people and kids. Even statistics show this.

Better controls don't equal better gameplay. Like someone wise said, random stick waggling replaced random joystick waggling. Also, what's wrong when a console (like a PC, or a PS3) tries doing something more than just gaming? I'd say that's a better thing than just playing - at least you are using it for something more. That's like buying a $3000 PC and using it only for games.
Actually, it kinda does. It's appealing to oldies and kids. People who have THE LEAST to do with gaming.
The people who have THE LEAST to do with gaming? Actually they have PLENTY to do with gaming. Bringing gaming away from the 'Hardcore' group and making it appeal to kids, again, and for the first time the 50+ year old crowd actually is bringing a huge increase in the population of gamers. The vast majority of gamers will choose what is next... Is the Wii a valid system? Of course. Hell it plays Resident Evil IV and has a few cool exclusive titles to it to appeal to some of the adult gamers as well.

Whichever system brings the crowds in, is crucial to gaming. Sorry to tell you this, but it is the Wii at the moment.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
GamerMom said:
Abedeus said:
Rodger said:
Abedeus said:
DeadlyYellow said:

The people who have THE LEAST to do with gaming? Actually they have PLENTY to do with gaming. Bringing gaming away from the 'Hardcore' group and making it appeal to kids, again, and for the first time the 50+ year old crowd actually is bringing a huge increase in the population of gamers. The vast majority of gamers will choose what is next... Is the Wii a valid system? Of course. Hell it plays Resident Evil IV and has a few cool exclusive titles to it to appeal to some of the adult gamers as well.
Sorry, but children have little to do with the image we want. We want to show games as mature form of art, like Mass Effect or Fallout 3. Not Zelda, not Mario.

Wii has a lot of "leftovers" - overused game series, made just to please the fans. And it's really hard to find something good + new + original.

Oh, and I would play any Xbox 360/PS3 exlusive over a Wii exclusive. Gears of War, Fable, Metal Gear Solid, Little Big Planet...

Also, oldies don't have anything to do with gaming.

Whichever system brings the crowds in, is crucial to gaming. Sorry to tell you this, but it is the Wii at the moment.
No. The system that brings the crows in is a sellout. Or a console for fans, COUGH sonic COUGH mario.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
We don't necessarily need more gamers. What we need is less oblivious, propertied old people who think a Christian Iran would the best place to raise their spoiled, irrelevant children.

Today is Happy Day! XD

GamerMom

Mar 27, 2009
*scratches head* Ooooookay, so new gamers (I don't care about their age really) don't matter? Sorry sweetie, but they do :) Sure games can be a form of art. However to deny a lot of gamers their original beginnings(guess what, most of us that were born in the late 70's and early 80's started on Mario and Zelda) is a sign of arrogance and elitism. Sure, I love Metal Gear Solid series...I played Mass Effect, Fallout 3, and the what not. So what makes the Wii less than a PS3 or an Xbox? Nothing really. Just a different format.

Sure accuse the Wii of being a sellout...but it brings in games that attract a wide variety of users to it. Technically, wasn't the PS1 a sellout for taking video gamers away from kids and nerds, attracting the high-school and college crowd to gaming? Or the Xbox? Hell every console is a sell out :)

wowcrendor

Feb 19, 2009
@Abedeus

Who says "we" want to show games as a mature form of art? Did designers want to show Starcraft as a mature form of art? Did they want to show Tetris as a mature form of art? I don't want amazing graphics if the game play is going to be trash. Graphics are like the ice cream that goes with the cake.

I will agree that the Wii is primarily focused on the casual gaming crowd, but that is a marketing technique that is working for Nintendo. Do you think casual gamers really care if the system has Gamecube graphics? They just want to play games to have fun (which is what I thought gaming is all about, but apparently it's about art).

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
Abedeus said:
Rodger said:
Abedeus said:
DeadlyYellow said:

I didn't say it was a movie device. I said they were moving away from gaming while adding nothing to the gaming experience. The only 'major' step forward for either the 360 or the PS3 were enhanced graphics and, overall, better hardware, though thats to be expected anyway. Graphics, however, are only icing on the gaming cake. Gameplay and actually having fun are central to gaming. And before you say it, no, I'm not saying 360 and PS3 games aren't fun, they just haven't tried to do anything to make games more fun. Like adding a new input device. And there is nothing wrong with making gaming more open to a larger audience. Kids play games anyway. Keep in mind that all games and gaming systems are, at their very core, toys, and kids play with toys. Old people play games? More power to them. Now they have an idea as to why we sit around in the house playing games all day instead of going outside. Because its fun.

I don't think you realize what you just said there by saying "better controls don't equal better gameplay", but I know what you're actually trying to say. And wise as that man might be, I'm inclined to disagree with that statement. It carries as much weight as accusing other games of implementing random analog stick pushing or button mashing. The waggling is hardly random, for one, except in games where it hasn't been implemented very well. Two, it actually adds a new way to play games, a way thats easier and, dare I say it, even more fun at times if they're implemented well. And nothing is wrong with doing more than gaming, however doing more than gaming is not crucial to gaming, nor does it add anything to gaming. The issue is that it doesn't add or subtract anything from the gaming experience. Zero gain for gaming.

Ok, hold on there pal. Who died and appointed hardcore gamers, a minority group ever since the PSOne came along, king of gamers? Hardcore gamers are content on playing the same game being released over and over with an increasing number on the end. I'm sure a certain wise man you mentioned before touched on that subject. There is no one that has more or less to do with gaming than anyone else. Gamers are people who play games, regardless of age or sex. Being 'hardcore' doesn't make you or any other hardcore gamer anymore of a gamer than the old guy who plays the Wii because he has fun with the boxing game and can play it with his grandson.

And by the way, kids have a LOT more to do with gaming than any of these self-appointed 'hardcore' gamers. As I mentioned before, games and gaming consoles are TOYS. Accept it. Embrace it. You're playing with a toy. Games are, and were, designed FOR kids. These days they just happen to be designed with a larger age group in mind as well, but they are not the core audience, and they are not the most crucial to gaming. Advancing gaming as a medium means kids, soccer moms, and old folks need to be able to get into it too. And they're not going to want to pick up the latest iteration in the Halo or Killzone franchise. Gaming is not going to advance as a culture if it limits itself to a 'hardcore' gaming audience.

Games are about having FUN and thus THATS whats crucial to gaming, regardless of who is having it and what game they are having it with. There will be people who find shooting other people to be fun, but they are a small slice of the pie and in no way representative of gaming as a whole. The only ones who think that are them and the groups that want to ban violent video games.

By the way, as an aside, the only games you mentioned to "GamerMom" that appeal to me, personally, would be Little Big Planet. Or at least, only one I'd be willing to give a shot. The jump physics look a bit sketchy for a platformer. Just as an aside, though, such a game on the Wii would likely be labelled "shovelware" by the hardcore gamers and tossed aside. Double standard much?

GamerMom

Mar 27, 2009
@wowcrendor:

I think it is about fun as well :D Heck as soon as my kids are out of their toddler years, I am going to let them play video games :p

@Rodger:

Well spoken. *claps*

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
wowcrendor said:
Abedeus said:
GamerMom said:
Abedeus said:
Rodger said:
Abedeus said:
DeadlyYellow said:

Sorry, but children have little to do with the image we want. We want to show games as mature form of art, like Mass Effect or Fallout 3. Not Zelda, not Mario.

Wii has a lot of "leftovers" - overused game series, made just to please the fans. And it's really hard to find something good + new + original.

Oh, and I would play any Xbox 360/PS3 exlusive over a Wii exclusive. Gears of War, Fable, Metal Gear Solid, Little Big Planet...

No. The system that brings the crows in is a sellout. Or a console for fans, COUGH sonic COUGH mario.
Abedeus said:
GamerMom said:
Abedeus said:
Rodger said:
Abedeus said:
DeadlyYellow said:

Who says "we" want to show games as a mature form of art? Did designers want to show Starcraft as a mature form of art? Did they want to show Tetris as a mature form of art? I don't want amazing graphics if the game play is going to be trash. Graphics are like the ice cream that goes with the cake.

I will agree that the Wii is primarily focused on the casual gaming crowd, but that is a marketing technique that is working for Nintendo. Do you think casual gamers really care if the system has Gamecube graphics? They just want to play games to have fun (which is what I thought gaming is all about, but apparently it's about art).
They didn't have the ability to show those games you mentioned in a better way. And both were milestones, as compared to *games* on Wii.

Also, not going to argue with anyone who doesn't know how to use the Quote option. Too much fixing someone's text just so I can reply.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
By the time I read the second stereotypical description you listed, I knew NASCAR was going to be on the list.

I think it's possible to make anyone like almost anything they previously hated by showing them its intricacies, rewards, and appeal.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Abedeus said:
No, we want games recognized as a regular form of entertainment, not a secret Illuminati plot to turn random people into psychopathic serial killers. Art does not play into it. Is reality TV art? Yet do people claim it's corrupting our children? In fact art may be detrimental to our cause, artsy stuff usually fails at being actually enjoyable so why would these people want to join gaming if we present them with some incomprehensible inside joke that makes us look like we're martians for even knowing what it means? You give them Fallout 3, they'll go WTF and back to watching TV. Gaming has become an elaborate system of idiosyncrasies and memes that looks completely incomprehensible from the outside and that's exactly why people see gamers as alien and evil. You want people who know nothing about swimming to go right into the deep end of the pool and swim a marathon race. That just does not work and it's definitely not going to help against their fear of deep waters.