16-year-old Oklahoma teenager beaten to death in a bathroom.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
I’m not entirely sure I believe it, but it’s depressingly probable.
I kinda suspected it when they made a point of mentioning they were waiting on toxicology. Guessing an OD.

200-odd thousand kids get beat up by other kids in school every year in the US. A few thousand kill themselves as a result of bullying. Less than that are killed directly by bullying. This case only got the time and attention it did because of the non-binary angle when there's a depressing number of examples out there.

If we're lucky, they'll charge the girls with something, maybe some variety of assault. Being young girls they probably won't get any serious punishment. If they're also pretty and/or white they definitely won't get any serious punishment (maybe some probation and a suspended sentence if they want to go hard on them).

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I'm not certain this would even be the case if Nex had died on site. Do you really think high school freshmen getting into a fight at school get the book thrown at them?
If BrawlMan was talking about just generally trying juveniles as adults, he'd be on his soapbox about how the US is like the worst country in the world for this and sending them to prison is ruining so many lives before they really even begin. But when you go case by case and get so emotional about everything, you just end up picking and choosing your ethics and you have no consistency whatsoever.

The United States has the obscene distinction of being number one in the world for the worst policies on the treatment of youth in the justice system, and youth of color bear the brunt of our harsh and regressive policies.

No other country in the world routinely prosecutes youth in adult criminal court, an estimated 250,000 youth in the U.S. annually. No other country places youth in adult jails and prisons on a regular basis. According to the American Civil Liberties Union, nearly 100,000 youth are cycled through adult jails and prisons annually. No other country in the world comes close to the U.S.’ dependence on incarceration in juvenile detention centers and youth prisons. More than 60,000 youth are placed in these facilities.

I kinda suspected it when they made a point of mentioning they were waiting on toxicology. Guessing an OD.

200-odd thousand kids get beat up by other kids in school every year in the US. A few thousand kill themselves as a result of bullying. Less than that are killed directly by bullying. This case only got the time and attention it did because of the non-binary angle when there's a depressing number of examples out there.

If we're lucky, they'll charge the girls with something, maybe some variety of assault. Being young girls they probably won't get any serious punishment. If they're also pretty and/or white they definitely won't get any serious punishment (maybe some probation and a suspended sentence if they want to go hard on them).
But shouldn't we not try kids as adults like the rest of the world (link above)?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’m not entirely sure I believe it, but it’s depressingly probable.
Same here. What exactly did Nex kill themselves with? I've read three of these articles, and none of them are giving out descriptions.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
More than anything else, I'm curious why they haven't released an official cause of death yet.
Apparently it's come out. A Mix anti-depressants and antihistamines of in the blood.
I don't believe cause of death is public information. So if everything was done properly and everything was determined, then it's on the parents to decide or not decide to make it public.

Why are you hating on the cops so much? From what we've seen, the cops didn't do anything wrong.
Oh they don't hate the cops, they hate them not being on their side. They want the cops to be their blunt instrument not to enforce the rule of law but just to enforce their ideas of beliefs on others and pretend reality is how they say it is.

I'm not certain this would even be the case if Nex had died on site. Do you really think high school freshmen getting into a fight at school get the book thrown at them?
I'm sure Brawlman would prefer them burned at the stake like the good old days.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
It's Oklahoma, nothing about this surprises me.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

Disappointing, but not surprising. With suicide as the COD, making any charges stick would be incredibly difficult. I wish there was a way to write a law that would make the bullies culpable for driving them to the point of suicide, but that's such a dangerous can of worms to open as well.
Civil suit would be filed by the parents. Very winnable if they can find evidence of the bullying.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
That's true. I meant making criminal charges stick or a law making it a crime to do what they did. Civil suits are another matter, and not just because of a different name. Different burden of proof, for starters ("beyond a reasonable doubt" vs. "preponderance of evidence").

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
That's true. I meant making criminal charges stick or a law making it a crime to do what they did. Civil suits are another matter, and not just because of a different name. Different burden of proof, for starters ("beyond a reasonable doubt" vs. "preponderance of evidence").
Actually didn't that girl go to prison just recently for convincing that kid to himself over text? There was whole todo about it. I think the problem here is ..to be frank....its Oklahoma. Its one of the more corrupt alt-right states with terrible policing and policies towards LGBTQ+. I think there's a effort being put forth to sweep this under the rug asap. So yeah I believe the laws are there to charge this bullies, I just don't think the government wants any part of it. I just think the only justice that can occur would be civil.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US

Disappointing, but not surprising. With suicide as the COD, making any charges stick would be incredibly difficult. I wish there was a way to write a law that would make the bullies culpable for driving them to the point of suicide, but that's such a dangerous can of worms to open as well.
As soon as it was ruled suicide there was no chance of criminal charges for the death. I was holding out home for assault charges, but I'm not too surprised.

Civil suit would be filed by the parents. Very winnable if they can find evidence of the bullying.
Yeah, I could see a wrongful death suit being winnable. Largely because it just has to be slightly more likely than not that their conduct led to Nex's death and courts are more willing to put some damages on young girls than any kind of incarceration (which would be on the table for a criminal homicide charge of any stripe).