Gears of War Movie Looking "Incredibly Good"

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Gears of War Movie Looking "Incredibly Good"

Cynical gamers might not be too happy about the thought of Gears of War being made into a movie, but one person is absolutely ecstatic about the progress the project's made: the man writing the script.

Seems that progress on the Gears of War movie is moving along extremely smoothly, according to screenwriter Chris Morgan. Apparently Morgan has finished a draft of the script and turned it in, and now the production team's just figuring out how to turn it into a full-fledged film. I imagine a lot of screenwriters are anxious about seeing their scripts go through what could turn into development hell, but Morgan seems definitively psyched. "It's looking incredibly good," he told MTV.

While the masses of skeptical gamers soured by dozens of bad game-to-move adaptations frown at the possibility of another trainwreck, Morgan thinks they've got nothing to worry about. "I think the gamer side is going to be thrilled with it," he said. "All the stuff you want to see, we put that in there and then we blow it out a little more, even. Now it's just a matter of honing in on all of the character arcs and determining production types of things"

Helming the director duties on the project is Len Wiseman, who handled the Underworld movies and Live Free Or Die Hard. Wiseman previously stated that he wanted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88942-Gears-of-War-Movie-A-Harder-Lord-of-the-Rings] the movie(s) to be like a "harder-edged" Lord of the Rings. Morgan seems to see the project taking on a similarly massive scope.

"It's huge," Morgan said. "One of the things they're really talking about now is the budget of the film and how big of a spectacle this is going to be. My argument is, look at the underlying material. Look at the game and the scenario - the fact that the world is being taken over by the Locust, it has to be huge."

Gears of War seems like a pretty readymade movie, but still, fingers crossed, guys. Pray that they'll get Vin Diesel. I don't care who he plays, I just want him in this movie. Because he's Vin Diesel.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
The way I see it, this movie could one of two ways:

1. The first great videogame movie (relatively speaking, of course).

2. Big pile of cinematic poo.

djpuppylove789

Jan 22, 2009
RebelRising said:

odds are it will be both #2 and a #2

of course the writer is going to say that the movie looks good. his entire career is based on this movie being good.

APPCRASH

Mar 30, 2009
RebelRising said:

History proves the later.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Hmm this could be interesting. Gears of War really doesn't have the most complex story to screw up and you wouldn't need great actors... I see the potential

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
RebelRising said:

That seems to be what everyone says about every video game movie.

I can see a Gears of War movie working. It already feels like a movie at some parts.

However, I certainly won't watch it.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
djpuppylove789 said:
RebelRising said:

of course the writer is going to say that the movie looks good. his entire career is based on this movie being good.
Granted, the source is one of immediate dubiousness, but I'm not completely shutting out the idea of it being good. Mainly because it's just a slightly gothic Michael Bay premise. Burly, one-liner-spouting soldiers, exploding caverns, and gun-toting aliens, with very little in between. If they had a good enough budget, I can't see how many ways they could screw it up.

Mar 26, 2008
I'm really hoping this will work because cinematically it could be brilliant; and with the Bioshock movie being shelved for the time being, at least a movie of one of my fav games is still on the horizon.
Vin Diesel as Marcus Fenix could work, given enough makeup. His voice has that gravel-like quality too. Get Lester Speight (a.k.a Terrible Terry Tate, a.k.a Augustus Cole) to play.. well Cole and Ryan Renolds to play the sarcastic Baird and it's already starting to shape up.

I Call Her Vera

Apr 26, 2009
GodsOneMistake said:
Hmm this could be interesting. Gears of War really doesn't have the most complex story to screw up and you wouldn't need great actors... I see the potential
My thoughts exactly. Its not like the characters or the story were complex or interesting for that matter, so there isn't all that much to screw up.

djpuppylove789

Jan 22, 2009
RebelRising said:
djpuppylove789 said:
RebelRising said:

Granted, the source is one of immediate dubiousness, but I'm not completely shutting out the idea of it being good. Mainly because it's just a slightly gothic Michael Bay premise. Burly, one-liner-spouting soldiers, exploding caverns, and gun-toting aliens, with very little in between. If they had a good enough budget, I can't see how many ways they could screw it up.
well, with wiseman at the helm it could very easily be screwed up. i mean, of his 3 major directorial credits, only 1 has been decent. LFoDH was below average, and the 2nd underworld was pathetic. im not giving up complete hope of the movie working, im just being realistically pessimistic.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
I Call Her Vera said:
GodsOneMistake said:
My thoughts exactly. Its not like the characters or the story were complex or interesting for that matter, so there isn't all that much to screw up.
But than again I'm sure they'll find a way

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
djpuppylove789 said:
RebelRising said:
djpuppylove789 said:
RebelRising said:

well, with wiseman at the helm it could very easily be screwed up. i mean, of his 3 major directorial credits, only 1 has been decent. LFoDH was below average, and the 2nd underworld was pathetic. im not giving up complete hope of the movie working, im just being realistically pessimistic.
I don't know the first thing about the director, or his movies, so I didn't factor that. But yeah, being realistically pessimistic is almost always the best route.

jackbomb9

May 6, 2009
I Call Her Vera said:
GodsOneMistake said:
Yeah, it's possible to do this without screwing up, but having a simple story and okay actors would make for not much more than an adequate movie. Granted, that would be better than most, if not all videogame movies, but I'd prefer to see a good movie than an okay movie. Particularly with a game like Gears of War.

djpuppylove789

Jan 22, 2009
RebelRising said:
djpuppylove789 said:
RebelRising said:
djpuppylove789 said:
RebelRising said:

I don't know the first thing about the director, or his movies, so I didn't factor that. But yeah, being realistically pessimistic is almost always the best route.
He's an OK director, but hes far from a guarantee. like i said, there is promise for this movie, i just wouldnt be surprised or dissapointed if it turned out to be utter crap.

jackbomb9 said:
I Call Her Vera said:
GodsOneMistake said:
Yeah, it's possible to do this without screwing up, but having a simple story and okay actors would make for not much more than an adequate movie. Granted, that would be better than most, if not all videogame movies, but I'd prefer to see a good movie than an okay movie. Particularly with a game like Gears of War.
Ummm, because there is no real plot or characters makes it even easier to screw it up. Doom anyone? that game was literally walk around and shoot things. nothing complex at all. they still found a way to fuck it all up.

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
RebelRising said:

Well until those guys who made this are Directors...

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1UPMEmCqZo" (title,target)]ESCAPE FROM CITY 17[/URL]

Then we can pretty much assume the deuce.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I loled when I read the title.

I don't want to put my hand down and say its going to be shitastic, but they're going to have to pull a donkey out of their asses to do this well.

But its not impossible. ; )

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
It looks like it could work, and Morgan does have a fairly good track record.

Either way; If Vin Deisel does get caste, I'm going to see it.

Grand_Poohbah

Nov 29, 2008
Programmed_For_Damage said:
I'm really hoping this will work because cinematically it could be brilliant; and with the Bioshock movie being shelved for the time being, at least a movie of one of my fav games is still on the horizon.
Vin Diesel as Marcus Fenix could work, given enough makeup. His voice has that gravel-like quality too. Get Lester Speight (a.k.a Terrible Terry Tate, a.k.a Augustus Cole) to play.. well Cole and Ryan Renolds to play the sarcastic Baird and it's already starting to shape up.
Yes please!

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Programmed_For_Damage said:
I had no idea that Lester Speight was the voice of Cole. After seeing the Terry Tate commercials a couple years back, he definitely has the flare for it. I will agree that is by far the best choice because he is not only the voice of Cole, but apparently he is the model for the toon.

Ryan Reynolds, I will agree with. Good choice.

The real question is, who plays Dom? He never left Marcus' side, so he would be very important in the question of casting.