#163: Reverse Psychology

Bindal

May 14, 2012
*Raises hand* Okay, question: What were they told not to do? Because they were only told one thing: "Fight Shard" - which they did. There was never anything forbidden there at any point. They weren't even told not to drink the soda. Or did I miss something?

Abnaxis

Aug 15, 2008
@Blindal: Lanbdslide was doing the telling, not being told. They were the PSA mouthpieces trying to get everyone to stop drinking Shard, which actually encouraged everyone to drink Shard. That's why they were needed--without Landslide, nobody would be inadvertently encouraging the populace to drink Shard because the crystals couldn't do it themselves.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
If all this leads up to Erin's "real world" suicide, I will consider this comic utterly and completely salvaged from it's descent!

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Smithnikov said:
If all this leads up to Erin's "real world" suicide, I will consider this comic utterly and completely salvaged from it's descent!
Don't hold your breath. That will take at least 10 pages.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
FlutterElf needs to go full on Jean Grey on these mugs. :^)

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
And here I thought it was some Guerilla Marketing stuff courtesy of John Nike & John Nike, like a reprise of their unforgettable "kill ten teenagers at a sale to drive sales"-campaign.

Apr 17, 2009
Bindal said:
*Raises hand* Okay, question: What were they told not to do? Because they were only told one thing: "Fight Shard" - which they did. There was never anything forbidden there at any point. They weren't even told not to drink the soda. Or did I miss something?
They're fighting Shard, and in doing do are telling other people not to drink Shard's cola. Which just makes people go out and drink Shard's cola.

Landslide are basically this game's version of people who complain about Starbuck's coffee cups not being Christmassy enough around this time of year, where all the really accomplish with their noise is make people want a Starbucks coffee if only to spite them

johnnyLupine

Nov 19, 2008
Smithnikov said:
Descent? I've been enjoying this arch so far..

johnnyLupine

Nov 19, 2008
Gethsemani said:
And here I thought it was some Guerilla Marketing stuff courtesy of John Nike & John Nike, like a reprise of their unforgettable "kill ten teenagers at a sale to drive sales"-campaign.
wait if that was the case wouldn't they outsource the killing elsewhere or something?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
After that line I'm expecting to see a "Drink Crystal Cola or the terrorists win" banner somewhere.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
OK, I'll say it, Dancer Erin looks hotter with a gun. I got a thing for scantily-clad women with firearms.
Ukomba said:
After that line I'm expecting to see a "Drink Crystal Cola or the terrorists win" banner somewhere.
Well, when you put it that way, that explains why the Crystals recruited the sorriest bunch of psychopaths outside of FOXHOUND. I remember way back it was not-Tifa who wanted to solve every problem with arson, bombings, and assassinations, thus justifying Shard's heavy-handed military tactics.

youngstormlord

Sep 24, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
OK, I'll say it, Dancer Erin looks hotter with a gun. I got a thing for scantily-clad women with firearms.
Ukomba said:
Well, when you put it that way, that explains why the Crystals recruited the sorriest bunch of psychopaths outside of FOXHOUND. I remember way back it was not-Tifa who wanted to solve every problem with arson, bombings, and assassinations, thus justifying Shard's heavy-handed military tactics.
Why would a soda bottling corporation have a private army? Easy, because there was someone attacking them. Crystals need private army to conquer the world, it would be easier if all the weapons were close by. So, they made two armies, basically. One to do rebellion, the other to fight against rebellion; they got them into arms race. Or thumb war, if you will.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Oh, so by making Landslide to do some acts of terrorism proactive activism against Shard and their soda, the crystals got the public to support Shard and consume their soda. Not bad...

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
johnnyLupine said:
Smithnikov said:
Descent? I've been enjoying this arch so far..
I really don't. I much preferred this as a descent into depression and hopelessness with maybe some light at the end of the tunnel, not someone's rejected Final Fantasy __ fanfiction.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
johnnyLupine said:
Gethsemani said:
wait if that was the case wouldn't they outsource the killing elsewhere or something?
You'd think, but the rumor is that they hired some low level guy from merchandise, who didn't read the fine print and outsourced to the competition. That they still got it done just shows how John & John are some real geniuses of marketing.

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
Maybe there's not enough exposition about the state of that world, but was all the deception even necessary? Are there other soda mega corporations that Shard needed to outsell? It seems like being the only source of soda would've been sufficient.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
But is the gun loaded with level 1 bullets? That'd really diminish the threatening swagger of Erin right now.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
This is deader than Dillinger.
Agreed. Three weeks is a long time to wait for an update. I get that this is not Escapist-owned content and that Cory now has a legit job that takes time away from his art. But, please somebody throw me a bone here.

I need an EDA fix.