Sell Your Used Games, Get Thumbprinted

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sell Your Used Games, Get Thumbprinted

Gamers who want to trade their used games in Florida's Broward County are in for a surprise: When they hand over their games, they're also going to have to hand over a thumbprint.

A report in the GameStop [http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/juice/2009/05/used_video_games_fingerprint_gamestop_florida.php] went along with the policy because, as manager Carlos Rivera put it, "They have guns. I don't argue with people with guns."

Kayla Concepcion, a spokeswoman for the Sheriff's Office, said the requirement is actually part of a new law passed by the Florida Legislature that puts used videogames in the same category as items sold at pawn shops. As a result, people selling their games to shops like GameStop have to provide thumbprints and a range of other personal information. Most people don't care, Rivera said, although a few have "turned around and walked out."

GamePolitics [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/71887-Changes-In-Florida-Law-May-Impact-Used-Game-Sales] readers in the state are claiming that stores in different counties have not implemented the policy. Regardless, the idea of having to provide that sort of information just to unload a few old games strikes me as borderline outrageous and a good incentive to sell the stuff online or out of a trunk. Have any of you run into this at your local GameStop?

(photo [http://www.flickr.com/photos/36122696@N08/3348359006/])

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Carlos Rivera: "They have guns. I don't argue with people with guns."

What an idiot...like they going to shoot you. >.<

/facepalm

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Wow...this, I must have hit my head, I'm living in some crazy fantasy land!

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
That's a huge invasion of privacy. I can't understand why they thought this would be a good idea.
Thank god it hasn't been implemented here in Britain... well, not yet at least.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
What's next, require a proof of purchase that the game is mine?

Heh...heh...oh shit...Now I can't steal games from young children for some quick cash anymore if that happens.

bickster

Jan 16, 2009
Jharry5 said:
That's a huge invasion of privacy. I can't understand why they thought this would be a good idea.
Collecting a thumb print is actually one of the few things that is not considered an invasion of privacy as long as it is supported by the law.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
That's incredibly stupid. Florida, you already looked like a dick, now you're acting like one.

oliveira8 said:
Carlos Rivera: "They have guns. I don't argue with people with guns."

What an idiot...like they going to shoot you. >.<
Something tells me his store gets robbed a lot.

wolfy098

May 1, 2009
well apart from the fact you won't want the game back...
making it PAWNING the games totally sensible
(sarcasm)

Leorex

Jun 4, 2008
we dont allow pawn shops here, so hopefully, if they are declared pawn shops, we will get rid of all the gamestops.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
wolfy098 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
wat deeds for games?
Worse. Receipts! Who actually keeps all of them. I only have most of mine because I keep them in the game case itself.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
GothmogII said:
Judging by your avatar, you already are ;)

Just kidding. Yeah, I wouldn't be that bothered, especially since they're likely to do that in the UK for everything if Gordon Brown gets his way (which thankfully, he won't because he'll be out of office by then). However, I can see why some people would be offended. It's a pretty stupid idea on the whole, but I wouldn't mind handing over those details provided they were kept safe, secure and 100% confidential. Unlike some people, I have nothing to hide. Provided information is secure, what's the problem with ID and so on if you have nothing to hide?

wolfy098

May 1, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
wolfy098 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
wat deeds for games?
Worse. Receipts! Who actually keeps all of them. I only have most of mine because I keep them in the game case itself.
what i thought ur meant to write memos on the back

Flionk

Nov 5, 2007
The purpose of collecting a thumbprint from someone selling a game (or any item) is to track people pawning off stolen goods. Someone swipes a few games from Store A, then sells them as used at Store B for a quick profit. The thumbprint allows police to link the copy sold to Store B to the person who brought it, which could help them identify shoplifters. They've probably gotten a lot of reports of people shoplifting video games lately, and are implementing this measure to counteract that.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
bickster said:
Jharry5 said:
Collecting a thumb print is actually one of the few things that is not considered an invasion of privacy as long as it is supported by the law.
Ah. Didn't know that... but it still seems heavy handed when all you're wanting to do is just trade in a game or two.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Trivun said:
GothmogII said:
Judging by your avatar, you already are ;)

Just kidding. Yeah, I wouldn't be that bothered, especially since they're likely to do that in the UK for everything if Gordon Brown gets his way (which thankfully, he won't because he'll be out of office by then). However, I can see why some people would be offended. It's a pretty stupid idea on the whole, but I wouldn't mind handing over those details provided they were kept safe, secure and 100% confidential. Unlike some people, I have nothing to hide. Provided information is secure, what's the problem with ID and so on if you have nothing to hide?
Personally, it's not so much the ID I'm miffed about. It's the fact that someone somewhere thought that this was a necessary precaution that needed to be taken with videogames. These are neither guns nor drugs we're talking about, and hell, beyond occasionally having to provide your ID to a bartender, even there you don't need your damn fingerprints taken!

It's laughably ridiculous and a little scary too. xD Though, I do realise that games are quite expensive, and as someone above said, it's most likely just to deal with stolen games. All the same...