More Changes Coming to Xbox Live

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
More Changes Coming to Xbox Live

First up is Games on Demand, which will launch with about 30 different titles. You'll be able to use a credit card to buy games right from your Xbox 360. Digital distribution for games like Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect? Yes, thank you. The Games on Demand, along with all the other Live content, will now also have user ratings on them, so you can see if something is a winner or a waste before you plunk down your cash.

We also saw a trailer of upcoming XBLA titles,during which we got a glimpse of Monkey Island. As you might expect, it's been given a graphical overhaul, but it still looks very much like the Monkey Island you remember and love.

Way back when the avatars for the New Xbox Experience were announced, we were promised that you'd be able to unlock new costume items by playing games. Well, they're finally doing it. You'll be awarded clothing items and props by playing through games; the example provided was a full suit of ODST armor. Props included pompoms (just what every shock trooper needs) and a remote control Warthog.

Adding to the avatar customization will be the Avatar Marketplace, which will let you buy specialty items, perhaps from a particular designer or manufacturer.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
They can either:
A. Go back to being "Meh" after the debotchery that was the New update.
or
B. Make it better.
Personally I'm rooting for either party, as I hated the update.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
I am looking forward to games on demand, I may never leave the house again.
You and me both! Finally the 120Gb hard drive that came with my Elite will be useful other than holding demos!

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
nilcypher said:
sirdanrhodes said:
I am looking forward to games on demand, I may never leave the house again.
You and me both! Finally the 120Gb hard drive that came with my Elite will be useful other than holding demos!
I personally downloaded the Bioshock Demo (it was actually surprisingly long) around a week ago and found myself wishing that I could buy the hard copy right then without having to move. I feel as if a prayer has been answered.

There is no god but Games on Demand, and Atlas is his prophet.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
I'm looking forward to the whole sky tv thing. They had better put stargate on there

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
megapenguinx said:
I will still never pay for clothes for my avatar...
I would never either. But, people always will because they want their avatars to look "cool" or "badass".

Other then that, games on demand sounds pretty nifty.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Evil Raven665 said:
megapenguinx said:
I will still never pay for clothes for my avatar...
I would never either. But, people always will because they want their avatars to look "cool" or "badass".

Other then that, games on demand sounds pretty nifty.
And with that, the last of my money is drained from my account. Least I never have to go near a game store again

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
here's a question to mull over, a friend of mine saw fit to give me a used copy of Assassins' Creed for Xmas. It runs smoothly enough but every now and again freezes up or the disc is unreadable. Now we all know about the ability to now install your games to the 360, I remedied my problem by simply using another friend's copy to install AC to the 360. The scratches on the disc prevent it from being installed.

But what if you're the only one of your friends with a copy of AC? Should you have to buy a new copy simply to install it and experience smooth gameplay? With this new on demand system of buying games microsoft is introducing to the 360 is it not reasonable that you should be able to obtain a free install of a game you own?

Certainly this does seem rather radical and stupid, things such as this can be avoided by simply taking care of your games. As many know very well though scratches appear mysteriously on your games with increasing use despite steps you may take to prevent them. I was already jacked on that copy of AC I got because it was used and its previous owner obviously had not taken care of it.

The logistics of how to prevent fraud on gaining multiple copies of a game without ever even purchasing a hard copy are rather beyond me. Its a thought though, that I'm sure many people have already had.

Apr 28, 2008
um... that sounds cool, but what about people with a slow internet? Those people do exist.

And I wonder if you can buy games with Microsoft Points.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
KeyMaster45 said:
With this new on demand system of buying games microsoft is introducing to the 360 is it not reasonable that you should be able to obtain a free install of a game you own?
Blizzard and Valve already offer exactly this for their PC games through Steam and Battle.net. I even got a free copy of Brood War when I registered my copy of StarCraft. It would be nice to see more software publishers follow suit.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Digital distribution? Oh heck no.

No rentals, no reselling, no borrowing/loaning games to friends, the price never drops (one-week "sales" on random titles notwithstanding), no used game market...

Digital distribution is NOT your friend.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
KeyMaster45 said:
With this new on demand system of buying games microsoft is introducing to the 360 is it not reasonable that you should be able to obtain a free install of a game you own?
No, because there's no way to 'prove' that the copy you put into your Xbox is one that you own, as opposed to rented/borrowed, so there's no way to let you download a copy. That's the same reason the installed games require you to have the disc in the drive.

Irridium said:
um... that sounds cool, but what about people with a slow internet? Those people do exist.
I don't think that this is replacing retail games - just a different way to buy them. People who don't have the connection (or free drive space) to download the games could still buy the game on disc.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
If Hulu comes to the 360 and I get a web browser w/ mouse/keyboard support, then the 360 is the undeniable winner of this generation.

It's serious becoming the be-all, end-all to entertainment needs for me. And that's coming from someone who was very seriously on the fence about any of the consoles' superiority this generation.