Tom and Jerry Gets the MMOG Treatment

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Tom and Jerry Gets the MMOG Treatment

The classic cartoon cat-and-mouse duo is getting its own MMOG, courtesy of the same folks who managed to turn Hello Kitty into an online game.

Of all the cartoon properties you could turn into an MMOG, Tom and Jerry seems like the least likely one. For one, there are really only two characters: Tom and Jerry. And nothing ever really happens in their tiny world aside from Tom trying to catch Jerry and all sorts of cartoon violence ensuing. MMOGs are typically built on franchises with rich worlds and fictional histories. Tom and Jerry's a classic, to be sure, but MMOG material? I don't know about that.

I'll leave it to Typhoon Games, the developers of the Tom and Jerry MMOG, to figure it out. They managed to turn Sanrio's Hello Kitty franchise into Hello Kitty Online, so I'm sure they have a few tricks up their sleeves. And, they've already got some ideas about what you'll be doing in World of Tom and Jerry.

"Players will create and control their own cat and mouse characters in the wacky cartoon world where they will embark on quests, customize their cat and mouse avatars," wrote publisher TurnOut Ventures. According to them, players will use their cat and mouse character to engage in PvE and PvP content, and interact with other players "using a variety of social tools."

I imagine the PvP part will be more true to the original cartoon, since you know, Tom was always trying to catch Jerry. PvE seems to suggest cats and mice working together to accomplish goals, and anybody with a lick of common sense knows that's utterly ludicrous.

Tom and Jerry the MMOG will be released for PC and Mac in 2010 in Asian markets, and potentially in Western countries eventually as well.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I already have a really bad feeling about this. Hopefully I'm wrong, but my spidy sense is tingling.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Doug said:
I already have a really bad feeling about this. Hopefully I'm wrong, but my spidy sense is tingling.
But if it is an actualy good game, by god i will cry tears of joy.

Damn you! using my childhood against my wallet!

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
...rubs eyes*...*squints*

There aren't even words to describe this, what I'm feeling. Definitely came out of left field!

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
That could have potential to be great fun, all depends on what features it gets I guess... Like trap making, placing etc. I mean lets face it, old fashioned cartoon violence is great :)

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
My Love of Tom & Jerry:

Yep.. There it goes..

This seems like a VERY bad idea.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I'd probably prefer a Tom and Jerry online two player game, or four, where you outwit each other with traps and whatnot.

But this could still be interesting, I'll hope for the best, as always.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Ah good, I'm not the only one seeing this going wrong.

If it was a multi-player fighting game like SSB or Mortal Kombat it could work, but as an MMOG?

What were they thinking?

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
...and I thought Bee Movie Game was bad.
No, that's not photoshopped. I saw it with my own eyes at the store.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
TaborMallory said:
My friend, you're new to this sort of thing, aren't you? I could DESTROY you with some of the things I've seen.

I think xxhazyshadowsxx summed it up best. This is destined for all sorts of failure.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
[img src="http://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/cartoons/twoshoes.jpg]

Mammy Two shoes is very disappointed over player ShadowzLulz getting owned by a mouse.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
given the age group this will be aimed at, I can see it being relatively easy to take a basic MMO formula, slap on the T&J facade & sell it for $$$.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i try to imagine a way that this could turn out good...i cant, i really hope they run into some finance troubles or something to make sure the game wont be made

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
This is like making a Pinocchio FPS, or to turn it around, imagine if they made a Halo Movie and it was a romantic comedy.

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
scotth266 said:
TaborMallory said:
My friend, you're new to this sort of thing, aren't you? I could DESTROY you with some of the things I've seen.

I think xxhazyshadowsxx summed it up best. This is destined for all sorts of failure.
I'm generally cynical about all games; I know there's far worse out there. I generally stay far away from most of them. My example is the first one that came to mind.