Valve Fans Form Left 4 Dead 2 Support Group

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Fans Form Left 4 Dead 2 Support Group

Valve [http://www.valvesoftware.com/] fans worried that the Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott group might hurt Gabe Newell's feelings have formed a Steam Community of their own, the L4D2 Enthusiasts, with the aim of letting everyone know that the upcoming zombie thriller will in fact be awesome.

Fair is fair, I suppose, and with over 32,000 members and plenty of media coverage for the Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott [http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4D2boycott] it was only a matter of time before some enterprising soul put together a group supporting Valve's decision to not take half a decade to put out a sequel to a hit game. Thus we now have the L4D2 Enthusiasts, otherwise known as Yes-L4D2, a group of gamers who are actually looking forward to the release of the new game.

The site's founder makes a point of saying that while the group was formed in response to complaints about Left 4 Dead 2 [http://www.l4d.com/], it's not about simply trying to shout them down. "This isn't just a group created against the L4D2 Boycott group," the founder wrote on the main page, "it's also a group for Left 4 Dead 2 enthusiasts."

With membership currently around 350, the enthusiasts have a long way to go to catch up to the boycott group and it's hard to say whether "we like Valve," which doesn't have a groundswell of anger to tap into, will be enough to attract comparable numbers. Either way, I'm hopeful, probably unreasonably so, that once the initial poo-flinging is over the two sides can actually discuss the upcoming game in a rational and productive manner. Wouldn't that be nice?

Check out the Left 4 Dead 2 Enthusiasts group at steamcommunity.com [http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4D2Enthusiasts?action=join].

via: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=217781]

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Valve fans worried that the Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott group might hurt Gabe Newell's feelings...
I pictured Gabe Newell sitting in the dark of his house crying like a little baby, blowing his nose with his piles of money.

"*sobs* The..fans...they HATE ME!!!*Cries some more* My..feelings...are hurt..*Cry and blows nose to a 100 dollar bill.*"

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Should I make a "I'm a bit weirded out by Valve's move, think it's a bit unlike them, and worried things may go wrong, but will still keep faith in them and buy the game anyways since it will be as good if not better than the original Left 4 Dead" group? Cause that's what I feel.

IABWOBVMTIABUTAWTMGWBWSKFITABTGASIWBAGINBTTOL4D probably wouldn't fit in the "group name here" part, though...

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
How about a "hey guys its just a game" group.

The only group these crazies need is a Therapy group "Roaring applause and laughter"

MrPop

May 14, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Should I make a "I'm a bit weirded out by Valve's move, think it's a bit unlike them, and worried things may go wrong, but will still keep faith in them and buy the game anyways since it will be as good if not better than the original Left 4 Dead" group? Cause that's what I feel.

IABWOBVMTIABUTAWTMGWBWSKFITABTGASIWBAGINBTTOL4D probably wouldn't fit in the "group name here" part, though...
Well if you manage that I'd join it. I think some people may have too much time to whine. I have no doubt it will be a good game and better than the first.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Hey ZeroMachine I'd definitely join your group too, if just for the name abbreviation alone but that's also pretty much how I feel (my longwinded rants against the boycott group's manifesto being a package of silly misinformed worrying aside)

Maybe I should form a "Stop Having Knee-Jerk Reactions to E3, you guys" group, or "SHKJR2E3YG"

EDIT: Apparently members of the Boycott group are griefing any groups formed in response to them, so this furthers the idea that they really don't have any interest but self-interest at heart.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Ollie596 said:
Right I'm joining both groups!
I am so tempted to join you in that.

Officially it would for 'teh lulz' but the reality would be my expressing divided opinions on both the glee of seeing a Valve sequel so quickly but also the risk of a drop in quality as a consequence... or something.

Kilaknux

Jun 16, 2009
The title makes it sound like a support group for the 4 survivors.
Rochelle: I just feel so depressed. Why has the entire internet turned against us?
Ellis: I know. It's OK, just let it all out...
*They all sob uncontrollably*

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I hope this is one step towards a full on community war. Complete with group raids, silly pics & people taking their fanboi-ism far too seriously

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Kwil said:
Personally, I think it would be hilarious if Valve came out and said,

"We have seen and understand the L4D2 boycott group. In the interest of assisting them, L4D2 will not activate for any Steam ID that has joined this group while it is in existance. So there is no worry that any will succumb to temptation. Stay strong!"

And then watch how fast the group dwindles.

Hilarious, but a total dick move too.. which probably explains why I do not run a successful videogame firm.
Personally I was thinking something similar, like if they found a Steam ID that had the game and also belonged to that group they would get banned for a week for "being a hypocrite".

This too explains why I have yet to break into the video game industry.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Kwil said:

"We have seen and understand the L4D2 boycott group. In the interest of assisting them, L4D2 will not activate for any Steam ID that has joined this group while it is in existance. So there is no worry that any will succumb to temptation. Stay strong!"

Hilarious, but a total dick move too.. which probably explains why I do not run a successful videogame firm.
Just desserts, if you ask me. You want to ***** about a game? You don't get to play that game.

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Kwil said:

Man, that is a genuine genius idea! A boycott means that one is not going to buy the thing they're boycotting. Hence this would be the logical move for Valve. Or anyone that joined the group and plays L4D2 should at least get a hypocrisy achievement of some sorts.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
MrPop said:
ZeroMachine said:

Well if you manage that I'd join it. I think some people may have too much time to whine. I have no doubt it will be a good game and better than the first.
I... might actually try. It's very, very tempting.

AceDiamond said:
Hey ZeroMachine I'd definitely join your group too, if just for the name abbreviation alone but that's also pretty much how I feel (my longwinded rants against the boycott group's manifesto being a package of silly misinformed worrying aside)

Maybe I should form a "Stop Having Knee-Jerk Reactions to E3, you guys" group, or "SHKJR2E3YG"
You join mine and I'll join yours!

I'll update you guys on whether I can make it or not soon XD

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
... but the reality would be my expressing divided opinions on both the glee of seeing a Valve sequel so quickly but also the risk of a drop in quality as a consequence... or something.
Pretty much this sums it up.

Also, is this really news worthy? 300 members isn't exactly something big. How about one of the plethora of CS lovers groups that have 10,000 members? That's more news worthy than this =\.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
It was bound to happen. Now, what is also bound to happen and I'm looking forward to it is the two groups having interesting debates that will eventually evolve into full fledged nuclear wars.
Or pillow fights, whatever comes first.
(obviously nukes.)

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Credge said:
fix-the-spade said:
... but the reality would be my expressing divided opinions on both the glee of seeing a Valve sequel so quickly but also the risk of a drop in quality as a consequence... or something.
Pretty much this sums it up.

Also, is this really news worthy? 300 members isn't exactly something big. How about one of the plethora of CS lovers groups that have 10,000 members? That's more news worthy than this =\.
10,000 people all going "DE_DUST, plz" is news?

I think the reason this is news (or close enough to it) is because of the precedent set by a group of people forming a boycott group, with groups now formed as a reaction to that group with an opposite agenda.