File-Sharing Single Mom Loses Again

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
File-Sharing Single Mom Loses Again

The retrial of Jammie Thomas-Rasset, the single mom from Minnesota who was ordered to pay $222,000 for sharing music online, has concluded - and things have become considerably worse for her.

Thomas-Rasset had a rather unpleasant 15 minutes of fame in 2007 when a jury RIAA [http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSN0541841120071005] sued over only 24 of them; she was ordered to pay damages of $9250 for each, adding up to a total of $222,000.

A retrial was eventually ordered due to a possibly-errant jury instruction, giving Thomas-Rasset and a new lawyer a second chance to defend herself against the allegations. Unfortunately for her, it did not go well; much of her testimony was demonstrably questionable and in at least one case proven to be an outright lie. She was again found guilty of infringing the copyrights of all 24 songs, but this time around the jury awarded significantly higher damages: $80,000 per song, for a total of $1.92 million.

Thomas-Rasset "appeared shaken" by the verdict, although she said the RIAA would never see any of that money, implying that she was essentially judgment-proof. "Good luck trying to get it from me," she said. "It's like squeezing blood from a turnip." Interestingly, it appears as though the award might actually be too high for the recording industry; a representative said the RIAA was still willing to settle the matter rather than pursue the judgment.

Why? Winning a case and setting a precedent is one thing, but mercilessly stomping a helpless opponent into gooey syrup - a Middle American single mom, no less - is something entirely different. The principle of "score, don't spike" very much applies here; the RIAA might be a bully, but it doesn't want to appear to be a bully. A $2 million legal verdict isn't worth much when the court of public opinion glances over its shoulder and notices a massive industry conglomerate kicking the crap out of a nice lady who just wanted to listen to some music.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/06/jammie-thomas-retrial-verdict.ars]

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
I'd do the same as the lady in this case.

"Oh, very good. You have access to millions of dollars worth of lawyers. I don't. And you won! Good job there, mate. I'll just go live in my box now. I'll get a few friends to send photos of my box to CNN, though. Do you mind?"

That woman deserves a high five.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Well, I guess it shows they mean business.
Pity it also shows they are massive pricks.
Who wants to go pirate some music?

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
There is a way to avoid this.... don't fileshare and infringe on copyrights. GASP
Genius I know right?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
$2million? Do jurors just pull big sounding numbers out their asses for these things?

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
I'm going to say here what I said the first time I heard about it:

That's bullshit.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Never give a Lawyer a challenge. They WILL drain blood from Turnips if you rile them.

I don't know who to side with on this, but I know that woman shouldn't have thrown that remark in, it will haunt her

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Dear RIAA: I have a full 120 gigabyte hardrive filled with MP3's I downloaded off the internet. If you are reading this now, I fucking dare you to come to my house right now and try to put me in court.

You're going to get a face-full of RIAA beater, bitches.

Love,

Adam "buy_teh_haloz" Khafagy.

P.S. For the uninitiated, it's a 2 by 4 plank of wood with a fuckload of nails on each side.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
This is fucking ridiculous. The absolute most she should have to pay is the retail value of the songs.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
I'll never understand why there are laws against file-sharing/pirating...

I mean, I know why but I'll never understand it.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Xvito said:
I'll never understand why there are laws against file-sharing/pirating...

I mean, I know why but I'll never understand it.
You see, in this here Capitalist society, we have these things called businesses. They are headed up by the minions of Cthulu and exist only to make money. They are especially prevalent in media of all types. This is because when you buy a CD/DVD/game, you actually hand over a small part of your soul, which is used for sustenance by the CEOs. The CEOs know that if people simply pirate their music, they'll starve, and so they use their madness-inducing mind control powers to make the jurys and judges in piracy trials to always convict guilty and force huge penalty fines.

Of course, they know that noone would buy their soul draining discs unless it was good, so they strive to actually make what they produce entertaining. Most people on here don't believe in souls anyway, so the problems with buying music don't bother them. If you don't believe in the soul-drain discs and you still pirate, I guess you're just a greedy bastard that doesn't want to pay money, and you should be prosecuted. Catch 22...

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Welcome to the Twilight Zone: also known as the jurisdiction of copyright/patent law. It has some strange effects, like the flying whales: just try to ignore them as you attempt to make sense of the penalties issued.