How Much Is George Lucas Involved In The Old Republic?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
How Much Is George Lucas Involved In The Old Republic?

George Lucas is the grand overseer of all things Star Wars, but he can't be everywhere at once. So how much involvement is he taking in the development of the latest and (hopefully) greatest venture for his franchise, Star Wars: The Old Republic?

Despite the wishes of many folks who hold Star Wars close to their hearts, franchise father George Lucas is, ultimately, the end-all be-all of everything Star Wars. Now, we can assume that the guy can't micro-manage the packaging for every single action figure, but it'd be silly to assume that he doesn't have some say in one of the biggest ventures for the franchise in recent memory, BioWare's MMOG, Star Wars: The Old Republic.

"I haven't shown it to him personally, no," BioWare's Ray Muzyka told G4 [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/697230/BioWare-Explains-George-Lucas-Involvement-In-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic.html?utm_source%3]. "But I know he keeps his finger on the pulse of everything LucasArts is working on, so I know he's involved in it. I've talked to him about the project in the past and I know he's excited about it."

Run for the hills! Cancel all The Old Republic pre-orders! If George Lucas is excited about something and thinks it's good, then, by any sound logic, that must therefore mean that it's bad, right? When was the last time George Lucas was excited for something? Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? We all remember how that turned out!

But wait, don't you guys remember how awesome The Old Republic E3 trailer was? What did Lucas think of that, I wonder. "I can't say what he thought of the trailer because I don't know for sure that he's seen it," Muzyka said. "But I imagine he has because he's very involved in the development side of things."

Like it or not, Star Wars fans, but George Lucas is "very involved" in the development of his franchise's properties, and The Old Republic falls under that category. It's okay. I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Keane Ng said:
When was the last time George Lucas was excited for something? Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? We all remember how that turned out!
Oh Keane. Must you jump on that silly band-wagon?

I'm not worried about this at all. It's Bioware, not George.

Tehpwnsauce

Apr 30, 2009
Hopefully none whatsoever. The game would be improved a thousand times if George was sealed in an air tight room until the game's release.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Keane Ng said:
When was the last time George Lucas was excited for something? Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? We all remember how that turned out!

Well I was being sarcastic there, but yeah I didn't like that movie. Not much as everyone else did though, mostly because I don't even like Indiana Jones that much to begin with.

NovaStalker

Dec 19, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Keane Ng said:

I'd be worried because it's Bioware though I admit I would be petrified if George had anything to do with it at all.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
To be honest, I hope Bioware puts a restraining order on Lucas that requires him to be at least one continent's distance away from wherever they're making the game.

Lets just hope he doesn't go down the same route Spielberg did and start making his OWN games.

Mar 17, 2009
Keane Ng said:
But wait, don't you guys remember how awesome The Old Republic E3 trailer was? >
You mean that pre-rendered piece of footage? The one that will most likely look nothing like the finished product in both terms of gameplay and graphics? Yeah, I remember that.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Well I was being sarcastic there, but yeah I didn't like that movie. Not much as everyone else did though, mostly because I don't even like Indiana Jones that much to begin with.
Well if you aren't an Indy fan, then you've got a whole other set of problems!

NovaStalker said:
I'd be worried because it's Bioware though I admit I would be petrified if George had anything to do with it at all.
Pardon me? Bioware rocks the socks of the western RPG world.

NovaStalker

Dec 19, 2008
NovaStalker said:
Pardon me? Bioware rocks the socks of the western RPG world.[/quote]

Bioware have yet to make a game with a decent alignment system and they didn't even bother to finish KotOR 2.

Feb 13, 2008
Bioware : Produced some great stuff
Lucas : Produced one great thing. After re-writing it 4 times. Over 5 years. And then ripping it directly from Joseph Campbell. And then re-writing it after it came out. (Star Wars was Episode 5, and had no subtitle). And then re-writing it after Empire and Return. And then swearing to never do another one. And then using Mario Kart and Song of the South for inspiration. And then actually making Samuel L Jackson and James Earl Jones seem lame. And then cockslapping Alec Guinness.
Apart from all the godawful necro-equine-flagellation spinoffs and the casual racism.

Yeah, let's keep him well away from it.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
NovaStalker said:
Bioware have yet to make a game with a decent alignment system and they didn't even bother to finish KotOR 2.
Bioware didn't even make KotOR 2 that was Obsidian Entertainment.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
The infamous SCAMola said:
Keane Ng said:
But wait, don't you guys remember how awesome The Old Republic E3 trailer was? >
You mean that pre-rendered piece of footage? The one that will most likely look nothing like the finished product in both terms of gameplay and graphics? Yeah, I remember that.
Nobody's saying it was indicative of how the game plays or looks, what it was indicative of was that BioWare can put together a damn cool Star Wars cinematic, something Lucas obviously hasn't done in some time. It wasn't meant to be taken as representative of how the game plays, it was supposed to get you excited for Star Wars again. And I thought it did that job. Have some fun, yeesh.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
It's not Lucas you should be worried about, it's Blackman, Force Unleashed sold well, but my god what a bug ridden POS, and pale in comparison to the Jedi Knight series for quality and storyline, don't forget saber fights...were actually saber fights, not a button masher. He also had a hand in destroying SW Galaxies, and helped code the crappiest of LA games...Battle For naboo (the Batman and Robin of the gaming world).

Thank god that Bioware are working on this, completely bypassing Blackman and going to Lucas himself, the first one was great, and the story made sense (just need to get that back from my nephew so I can play it again).

Obsidian fudged up the second one, and didn't really do anything to make it better when they had the chance for the PC port of the game, that came about a year after the console release.

Mewick_Alex

May 25, 2009
Baby Tea said:
Seems like sound logic to me, Bioware have never let me down before.

And besides, the more recent star wars games have been at least adequate if not brilliant in my opinion (KOTOR onwards, i'm not familiar with any of them before that).