Final Fantasy XIII on 360 May Come on Three Discs

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Final Fantasy XIII on 360 May Come on Three Discs

We all know that Final Fantasy XIII on the Xbox 360 won't come on one elegant "blu" disc, but just how much space can we expect this game to take on our shelves? Square's hoping it won't be more than three DVDs' worth.

Move over that A-Team Season Four from the shelf on your entertainment center, the Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII's not going to be a slim one. Everybody assumed that the game would come in a, let's say, more extensive form than the PS3 version, which fits onto a svelte but spacious Blu-Ray disc, but if you were hoping Square would be able to keep the game from stretching across more than a couple discs, dream on.

"This is not the final count as we're still working on it, but we're aiming for about three discs for the Xbox 360 version," Square's Yoshinori Kitase told VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/20/confirmed-kitase-aiming-for-ffxiii-360-to-ship-on-3-dvds/]. When was the last time a game came on more than two discs? Final Fantasy IX? And that's just wait Square's "aiming" for - it could be more than that if they can't pull off their data compression magic. Imagine a four-disc package. It'd be big enough to put an Atlus release to shame.

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better (or worse), however. "The 360 version and the PS3 version should be pretty much equal, both in terms of content and the visuals as well," Kitase said. "Since the hardware is different, there might be some subtle differences if you compare screenshots side by side, but the team's being very careful about the compression of the data and the visuals, so that it's exactly the same on both."

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I don't care how many discs it comes on. I just don't want to see another Lost Odyssey packaging debaukle. Build a case to hold the discs. Don't let one disc run free in the case.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Chaossebba said:
Actually Lost Odyssey was on 4 discs too :eek:
I just hope this game will be longer than Lost Odyssey. Disc 2 and 3 were extremely short. I've played demos longer than I played those discs.

Also:

Keane Ng said:
And that's just wait Square's "aiming" for
I think you meant "what" there instead of "wait"? Sorry, not trying to be a grammar nazi or anything, it just looked strange when I read it.

jibjab963

Sep 16, 2008
I don't care if it is seven disks. Xbox 360 still gets Final Fantasy 13. Plus the more disks means more gameplay.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
Man, nostalgia moment. I was dissapointed when FF12 was on only one disc. I miss the old multi disk thing with FF.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Lost Odyssey was 4 disks and, bar some poor packaging choices, was fine. I don't understand why people make such a big deal regarding disk numbers...

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
AboveUp said:
Chaossebba said:
Actually Lost Odyssey was on 4 discs too :eek:
I just hope this game will be longer than Lost Odyssey. Disc 2 and 3 were extremely short. I've played demos longer than I played those discs.
I actually just finished the game since i never got around to that, and yeah after 2 and 3 you were like "Allready? what?"

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
I'm so sick of sony make blu disc's. in fact tagging an extra £100 on the price tag for a blu ray player was a shite idea! Bluray DVD's and DVD's in HD have NO noticable difference i have 3 blu ray movies, on a 30 inch hd tv, there is NO difference between them and an HD movie.

I guess if i get this game i'll get it on PS3, 3 discs is just too much.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I don't really care about the discs. I've recently discovered I am legitimately excited for this game. As far as I know the amount of discs has never affected the prices of the games I buy. I got Lost Odyssey for the same price as I would have gotten a one-disc game upon release.

I have no problem with disc-changes. "Oh no, I have to walk 3 feet to change the disc. Its going to take almost a minute. Whatever will I do?"

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Pillypill said:
I'm so sick of sony make blu disc's. in fact tagging an extra £100 on the price tag for a blu ray player was a shite idea! Bluray DVD's and DVD's in HD have NO noticable difference i have 3 blu ray movies, on a 30 inch hd tv, there is NO difference between them and an HD movie.

I guess if i get this game i'll get it on PS3, 3 discs is just too much.
Well not for you, you don't have 1080p. Thats the only time you see the amazing quality of blue ray.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Is the Japanese audio track on the 360 version, or did they cut that for space?

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
It should only be three, or else they might have to put one disk in a sleeve...

Looking at you Lost Odyssey

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
While I personally don't mind the idea of getting 3 Discs for one game, I just have to ask this question out loud.

HOW MUCH HARD DRIVE SPACE IS THIS GAME GOING TO TAKE UP???

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
This isn't a surprise. Multiple discs just make it feel like we haven't progressed at all in a way. FFVII came on 3 discs. And we're 13 years beyond that techwise. Aside from that psychological impression, there's really nothing inherently terrible about having to change discs.